My solution to diesel prices, you may think I'm crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
How can they tell? Just curious I'm a noob to diesels.
I was actually told that cops carry a test kit, they get a swab/q-tip and wipe the inside of the exhaust tip then wipe it on some test sheet and it shows whether or not its red diesel. I heard they mainly test the big rigs when they pull them over. Since gas prices are so high ALOT of the big rigs are trying to get away with using it. Its very rare to have a cop check regular pick ups but don't get me wrong they still do!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Very little risk getting tested in a light truck. About as much chance as havign a city cop bust you for no cats. "Red" fuel still has higher sulphur and more dense emmissions. I run diesel clean with every tank and see 1.5 mpg and better response.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

High sulfur diesel will cause damage to the new dpf equipt trucks. I'm not 100% sure on what happens, but there is a chemical reaction that takes place in the dpf and the sulfur becomes very corrosive. Then some of those fumes are pulled back to the intake ( like egr) where it attacks any metal it comes in contact with.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Launching!

I have heard of the cops checking for red diesel at the houston Rodeo. It has never happened to me so I dont know if this is fact.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:57 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Diesels run by compression ignition. Unless designed to handle highly volatile liquids like gasoline would mean a wrecked engine very quickly.

Diesel's will as a rule run on most things that will ignite via compression. There can be long term side affects such as coking of pistons and injectors. But this is very dependent apon the engine and fuel in question.

Many people run on vegetable cooking oil (SVO) or waste veg oil. Bio-diesel is another option.

So what are the prices of diesel in the States at present?????

Guess they are way better than here in the UK!!!

Diesel = £1.20 per litre. That's $8.85 gallon (US gallon!!!)
You have been hiding under a rock for the last year! How did you come upon the TX section? That is a ways away from England.

Stay away from the farm fuel guys if you don't have a registered vehicle for it. Fines are nasty. On top of those fines they look at your odometer and tax you for every mile it has as well. you have 200,000 miles on your odometer, do the math. My wife has a friend that this happened to a few years ago.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 05-19-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I finally finished my project of making my car run on water. It's sweet.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I did a little poking around on the internet, it seems that it's fairly rare for a regular light truck to get its tank dipped for red diesel (they check the fuel tank, not the exhaust tips). Obviously they'd pull you over if they saw you actually filling up at a red fuel pump, etc.

However, it's VERY common for trucks to get checked at cattle auctions or where a large number of farm trucks might congregate (rodeo etc).

I couldn't find a consensus on the fines, but it looks to be either $1000-$1200, and/or $1000 per gallon of capacity of the fuel tank.

Red diesel is only about 50 cents less expensive than the normal stuff. It's just sold without state road taxes on it. So if someone's selling it for a dollar a gallon, the fuel is either stolen or he's just giving it away and losing money on it.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Teching In

DOT checks at places that have a lot of diesels conversing, rodeos, livestock auctions
A buddy of mine that i work cows with was at a sale that they were testing in the parking lot. One of the guys that he knew there got caught and was fined 25k, not his first offense.
The only real differance is the lack of road tax, it now has more sulfur in it over the bs 15ppm diesel that they have at the pump now.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

to the op, be sure to keep us updated on this mix. fyi.. your injectors are $550 a pop.

red fuel is currently low sulfur until 2011. hwy diesel is ultra low sulfur. all 5.9 cummins love sulfur diesel, esp 1st gen 24v with the vp44 pump.

if you have the 6.7 cummins, it is strictly ultra low sulfur. those injectors are $1800 ea.

i recommend marvel mystery oil in every tank.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll post if I have any problems. I'm not too worried though, I'm getting the itch for a 6.7 4x4 DRW mega cab, and dpf and egr deletes to go with it.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Teching In

hmmm very interesting, also notice all the international input from Australia and the UK.