Custom home builders - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is my understanding most warranty work is handled by 3rd parties even for the big builders. In Houston for instance a lot of folks uses Ace's Warranty. So, as long as you have a warranty which is supported by a reputable firm a warranty is a warranty.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to build houses until 6 months ago and never heard of anyone using a third party for the entire warranty. maybe for the 10 year slab warranty, but not on the little things that come up in the first year.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

My cousin owns Array Homes and builds custom homes from $500k-1.3mil. I can give you his # if your interested. He can build you a nice shop for storing your cars as well. I just ate lunch with him, he said he does a lot of building in the woodlands.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 306 That Could
Alepa:

Jess said your right on schedule....you STOLE that house You must have good home buying skills with that deal & not to mention great taste buying with Taylor Morrison

Yea, I know I stole that home thats why I bought it and yes I have built a few 2 many homes in my life and know what to look for and how to buy. It just makes it easier when the buyer and seller are both educated on what they are trying to accomplish. Score 1 for me on a hell of a deal
Old 05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjecT 9
My cousin owns Array Homes and builds custom homes from $500k-1.3mil. I can give you his # if your interested. He can build you a nice shop for storing your cars as well. I just ate lunch with him, he said he does a lot of building in the woodlands.
Not looking to spend that much, but thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Not looking to spend that much, but thanks.
Np. He does do homes @ $350k sometimes. Just not often. You can still give him a ring, never hurts to just ask some questions.

His name is Anthony: 713-545-5854

Jon
Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some good friends of ours had David Weekly build them a home in Spring Valley 3 years ago. Their house is very nice. The foreman encouraged them to stop by as often as possible. He said he welcomed the 2nd set of eyes so it would be done right the first time. They have had very few problems with their home.

However, David Weekly is building a new community (small) in Spring Valley near us and the homes are nice, but you can def tell they saved money in some area. If I were to have them build one, I would insist on a few things being different. Maybe that is just how they build their homes that are to fill the neighborhood and sell later.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

I work with all houston area home builders on a dailly basis ,Out of the builders that will build on your property weekley is by far the best , Perry also builds super nice homes ,but they are not self owned property builders .If you choose weekley the brick mortar and all rebar will come from my co. .We also sell to many others but i can tell by the amount of rebar and mortar who builds the safest and strongest homes and weekley is at the top of the list. Any questions just pm me . I'll try to help you all i can..
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

I am a custom home builder in Dallas. Go to the Home Buiders Association of Houston Website...check out what they have there. You should also go to the state of texas residential construction commissions website to get more info about a builder. You can pm me if you have questions.

http://www.trcc.state.tx.us/default.asp

http://www.myghba.com/
Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Tony,

I used to work for Partners in Building and David Weekley.....Now I build my own custom homes. I have built custom homes from the low 300's to over 1.4 million. Send me you number or call me at 832-731-1309. I would love the opportunity to talk with you and your wife about a custom home designed and built for you for less than both David Weekley and PIB.

thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

my buddy used trendmaker and he was very happy
Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
We are looking into having a home built on some property that we purchased in the Woodlands. The two builders we have been talking with are David Weekley and Partners In Building. I'm also curious about Dunn & Stone builders.

Anyone have any experience with any of these companies? Good or bad.
David weekley built my house they did a "o.k." job but I went through two supers. One of them was fired in the middle of my house. But all in all I think they suck. They do o.k. on smaller houses that are the cookie cutter type but I dont think they are a "custom home builder". I guess it depends on what kind of house you are getting them to build . Mine was custom all the way down to the door ***** and they had hell with it. Just don't get in the middle of it and have your builder say I've never built a house this big before or your stupid for spending $40,000.00 on cabinets....Good luck..
Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by U LUZ
David weekley built my house they did a "o.k." job but I went through two supers. One of them was fired in the middle of my house. But all in all I think they suck. They do o.k. on smaller houses that are the cookie cutter type but I dont think they are a "custom home builder". I guess it depends on what kind of house you are getting them to build . Mine was custom all the way down to the door ***** and they had hell with it. Just don't get in the middle of it and have your builder say I've never built a house this big before or your stupid for spending $40,000.00 on cabinets....Good luck..
$40k on cabinets Landers, damn your easy I have some land on the moon for you than. You could of had a pool by now if you didn't buy the cabinets. But they are nice
Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Pimp

Landers you are a baller..

I need a mentor, are you interested in the job? lol
Old 05-30-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by _Zac

He only has applications for the role of step daddy.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 AM

IMHO, David Weekly is a more "Production" semi custom builder. I was going to use them but they would not do some of the changes in my plan so I went with a very fine custom builder that lets you pick anything and change whatever you want once you pick a plan. Lets see if weekly will let you do that....

Anyway Tony, whatever you decide on I know you have good taste!!!

Here is my builder's website if you may be interested...

http://www.tylercustomhomes.com
Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BADZ
IMHO, David Weekly is a more "Production" semi custom builder. I was going to use them but they would not do some of the changes in my plan so I went with a very fine custom builder that lets you pick anything and change whatever you want once you pick a plan. Lets see if weekly will let you do that....

Anyway Tony, whatever you decide on I know you have good taste!!!

Here is my builder's website if you may be interested...

http://www.tylercustomhomes.com

Jeff are these the same people that did your parents house? if so they do badass work... MTV Cribbs ****

B
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
it is on low boost

Kickerillo?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is Weekley charging per square foot for say a 3,000 sq ft house versus a semi-custom and custom homebuilder.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _Zac

no you are living with your mentor in your 2 bedroom apt. .... ***..