Custom home builders - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Question Custom home builders - opinions?

We are looking into having a home built on some property that we purchased in the Woodlands. The two builders we have been talking with are David Weekley and Partners In Building. I'm also curious about Dunn & Stone builders.

Anyone have any experience with any of these companies? Good or bad.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend of mine had Weekly custom build their home in Gleanloch Farms. They were happy with the quality.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should go to some of their new construction sites and look for yourselves at the fit and finish. How big are the gaps, how big are the holes around the plumbing, what type of windows, cabinets, insulation. You can tell a lot about a building crew by visiting a site on an off day. Once the sheet rock is up it is more difficult to see where corners are cut. I'll ask my wife's parents what they think, they built their own home, I helped frame it.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Teching In

I don't know how Partners in Building BOYOL but the neighborhood I used to work at they tryed building track style and ended up being run out of the neighboorhood by the developer... Hell they had inventory sitting around for 12+ months. David Weekly is very successful at building inexpensive homes. I have not heard any thing about there BOYOL either. As long as you stick with a larger company where you can see there work (not just model homes) you will be fine.

PS My wife works for Parkstone Estate Homes they do BOYOL and from what I hear they have a good reputation.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do some mortgages for new David Weekley homes and from what I've seen, their homes are high quality with a lot of flexibility as far as layout and space usage. If you need a good deal on yours, let me know. I can do the interim (construction) financing as well as the final.

Good luck!
99 FRC
Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Check in to trendsetter homes also, have heard good stuff about them also.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I used to do alot of work for weekley and unless they have totaly changed their ways I would not have them build a home for me. If your going to build a custom home don't use a track builder.

T/A speadfreak had a good point to check the sites out on off days.

Tony, I can give you some number on some custom home builders, As long as you let Jeff and I do the A/C
Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Launching!

where did you find land to buy in the woodlands, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

jokery deleted. Please keep this thread on track, thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
where did you find land to buy in the woodlands, if you dont mind me asking?
White Oak Estates.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just from a quick look at the websites, Partners In Building looks like they build the nicest homes.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Weekly has some nice higher end homes.........Partners in Building also build nice homes........Dunn and Stone I havent really heard anything about.......

My Fiance works for Taylor Woodrow (they build custom homes and do masterplanned communities from the 300's to the millions)and they dont build on your own land however, her biggest competitor is Trendmaker and they do build on your own land. If you ever get a chance go and look at a model of a Trendmaker. You will be in aw, I know I was.

Heres their website............http://www.trendmakerhomes.com/build_on_your_land/

Last edited by 306 That Could; 05-28-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Try looking at Kustom Kastles. They used to build a lot of the high end homes in Friendswood. I think that you would have more leverage going with a custom home builder right now than you would a huge company that builds subdivisions. You could probably get a little more for your money using a smaller company.

Do you have any ideas of what you want your home to look like or are you wanting to sit down and pick out an already designed plan?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked seriously at using Weekly for our house. Had we not built it ourselves, I would have probably used them. I considered going with the cheapest counters and flooring and gutting the house after it was built since I didn't want to pay the upgrade prices for good counter tops, tile on the floor, etc... The wife didn't like that idea. So, I just took the whole job on myself.

I like the floor plans of several of the Weekly Homes. I had looked at the Keldon (demo house out on 290 where they have their office), and the model that is off Cypress Rosehill off 290 (forgot the model name).

Instead, I went to the Woodlands home show, found an architect we liked there, and built it ourselves. I wouldn't recommend building yourself unless you have a flexible work schedule where you can go out ever day and get things organized, and you know folks in the various trades.

I would steer clear of many of the "economical" BOYOL companies as they have aggreements with the cheapest read that as the "worst" subs.

Keep in mind that a good custom home builder will often have better quality subs that they pay a premium to. So, as an example. Builder x might charge $4.75 sq ft for framing for a regular crew on a regular job. But, the custom builder who want a better quality crew with more experienced guys may be charging $7.00 sq ft.

I have two guys who do custom homes that I can recommend to you if you are interested. I've done work with both of them.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Try looking at Kustom Kastles. They used to build a lot of the high end homes in Friendswood. I think that you would have more leverage going with a custom home builder right now than you would a huge company that builds subdivisions. You could probably get a little more for your money using a smaller company.

Do you have any ideas of what you want your home to look like or are you wanting to sit down and pick out an already designed plan?

If It was me spending that kind of money, I would want the financial stability of the larger company. Right now its still a buyers market so there are some really really good incentives to take advantage of. You really dont want to cut any corners when building a large expensive home or any home for that matter. All sorts of things come in to play, warranty, materials, and just overall work. Things that the littler company probably wont have the best of.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 306 That Could
If It was me spending that kind of money, I would want the financial stability of the larger company. Right now its still a buyers market so there are some really really good incentives to take advantage of. You really dont want to cut any corners when building a large expensive home or any home for that matter. All sorts of things come in to play, warranty, materials, and just overall work. Things that the littler company probably wont have the best of.
Yea, I thought about that after I posted it and I think that you are right. If you can get extra stuff with a smaller company then you should really be able to do well with a larger custom home company. Just sit down with them and tell them what you do and don't want in a home. For instance, whenever I get to build my home that I have designed, the rear wall in the den will be made of glass floor to ceiling to view the rear patio/pool area and I want an open floorplan for family gatherings.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 306 That Could

I agree with Nick on this 1 too. I recently bought a home from his fiancee and the incentives were to huge to pass up on. Now if I can only get them to finish it I will be happy, Jess will be happy and Nick will be happy..lol...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^Not only that but service after the sale is probably the most important thing to look for at that price range. You will find that with one of the larger companies that have been around the longest. Just to clarify, just because its a large company and has been around for a long time doesnt mean its the best one either. Thats where It gets tricky. You really have to research someones reputation and their product to make sure you really are making the best decision.

So, service after the sale (warranty and customer service); product and features; builder reputation; location; pricing and Incentives are key points to finding the right builder. This goes for everyone looking to build a new home or to purchase completed new homes.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Stonegate has been building some really beautiful homes in Spring Valley, where my parents live. The construction managers do a good job of keeping the existing neighbors happy and they keep their sites really clean (relatively speaking, of course).

-Mike
Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ProStreet_632
I agree with Nick on this 1 too. I recently bought a home from his fiancee and the incentives were to huge to pass up on. Now if I can only get them to finish it I will be happy, Jess will be happy and Nick will be happy..lol...
Alepa:

Jess said your right on schedule....you STOLE that house You must have good home buying skills with that deal & not to mention great taste buying with Taylor Morrison