tint how dark for how long... wheels/tires ideas for my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tint how dark for how long... wheels/tires ideas for my truck.

okay guys, first im wondering how dark is your tint on your cars DD prefered and how long have you had it? im thinking of going 5% on my truck just dont want a big hassle. also have you been pulled over for it?

secondly ive got a 08 ext cab graystone metallic. wondering what type of wheels you would go. im thinking some 20's with about a 33'' tire.
was looking at these wheels.
http://www.spoiledcars.com/wheels/KM...Rockstar-B.asp

any thought or ideas are welcomed. thanks guys!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tint wise what ever the darkest legal tint you can get. I haven't looked at wheels for trucks in a long time, I don't have any idea whats out. I had a dropped truck and liked the billet Budnik and Colorado Custom wheels.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 5%, its not bad and looks great
Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Launching!

35% is legal. I started out with 20% on the sides and 5% on the back and it was not dark enough. So I went with another layer 20% on the sides and you cant even see through it from the outside. The problem I have with it is, that you cant see out of it at night when you are trying to reverse if there is no lighting around you. I have had it like that on my truck for 2 years and got 1 ticket for it.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O6DODGE
35% is legal. I started out with 20% on the sides and 5% on the back and it was not dark enough. So I went with another layer 20% on the sides and you cant even see through it from the outside. The problem I have with it is, that you cant see out of it at night when you are trying to reverse if there is no lighting around you. I have had it like that on my truck for 2 years and got 1 ticket for it.
Exactly what i did, and yes hard as hell to see out at night......that and i finally got pulled over for it too this past weekend after 3yrs of having like that.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

I had 5% on my Z28 and it made taking corners at night a real pain, especially on dark streets. I have 20% sides/5% rear on the T/A and it's just perfect for me. Dark enough during the day and light enough to see out of at night. I've never been stopped or asked about my tint on either cars.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GT Griller
Exactly what i did, and yes hard as hell to see out at night......that and i finally got pulled over for it too this past weekend after 3yrs of having like that.
I love mine I need to do the vette now.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

I have 15% on my front doors, 5% on the rear doors, and 20% on the back glass. Yea i know, wierd combination. I just put 20% all the way around on top of what i had from the factory (rear was aftermarket sliding so it didn't have any tint to it). With 15% on the sides i can pretty confident in most of my driving at night, but in some places i do have to roll down my window to go in reverse.

If you want, i have a few pictures that i could upload for reference.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Sorry, but you are wrong. Window Tint is a tricky subject when you try to read it in the law book. But here is the break down for you:

Pickups: Front doors must be at least 25%, Back Doors and all back glass can be as dark as you want.

Passenger cars: Front AND back doors must be at least 25%. Back window can be as dark as you want it.

Truck Tractors and any vehicle that is over 26,001 lbs cannot have side window tint less than 75%.

Front Eyebrow: Can be as dark as you want it, BUT cannot extend below the AS1 line. If no line is marked, cannot be below 5 inches from the top of the front windshield. Front Windshields legally cannot be any tint below these lines.

Most window tint shops will not tint below 30-35%, so that they do not get into any trouble, because they can be fined.

This is the legal aspect in Texas, hope it helps.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

thanks guys. i had 5% on one of my other trans am's and it was dark but didnt bother me much. ill decide what i want in some time. now i just need to think of wheels haha
Old 05-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WstTexas
Sorry, but you are wrong. Window Tint is a tricky subject when you try to read it in the law book. But here is the break down for you:

Pickups: Front doors must be at least 25%, Back Doors and all back glass can be as dark as you want.

Passenger cars: Front AND back doors must be at least 25%. Back window can be as dark as you want it.

Truck Tractors and any vehicle that is over 26,001 lbs cannot have side window tint less than 75%.

Front Eyebrow: Can be as dark as you want it, BUT cannot extend below the AS1 line. If no line is marked, cannot be below 5 inches from the top of the front windshield. Front Windshields legally cannot be any tint below these lines.

Most window tint shops will not tint below 30-35%, so that they do not get into any trouble, because they can be fined.

This is the legal aspect in Texas, hope it helps.

Sorry your correct, I forgot when I got pulled over that the cop told me the legal % was 25% and mine measured out to 4%. My mistake
Old 05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Oh and by the way, I usually start stopping people when I think the tint is around 15%. Just FYI, but everyone is different.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Where do you patrol at? what city?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

i have limo tint all on the 2 front windows and the hatch. I have not been stopped yet and ive had the car for 2 months and it already had it.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Texas DPS Handbook at my inspection station says 20% is the legal limit. Plus my inspection school teacher said its up to the inspector as far as pass/fail since factory glass comes tinted, so it might vary 1-2% on top of whatever you got it titned at.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WstTexas
Oh and by the way, I usually start stopping people when I think the tint is around 15%. Just FYI, but everyone is different.
I guess all the cops I came across in my Z28 just didn't care. I remember once I caught a light right next to a cop around 10pm. My windows were up and the T-Top shades were in, so you couldn't see inside the car if you wanted to. Not to mention I had 3" duals dumped at the axle with a cam/etc. The cop turned on that light that's built into the side of the party lights (not the spot light with the handle) and I could see him trying to look at me through my passenger window. I don't know if he was trying to drop a hint or what, but he still didn't stop me.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Where do you patrol at? what city?
I am a State Trooper with the Texas Highway Patrol.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Launching!

I have 15% all the way around and I am very happy with it on my camaro, On my truck I had 15% on the front windows and 5% on the back two and rear window and that worked out perfect, had one problem but if you turn the interior lights on when a cop is next to you so he doesn't have to worry you should be alright
Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

ive got 5% on the back, 20% on the side windows, and 45% on the entire windshield. The windshield tint makes the sides look like 5%, but still be able to see out them like 20%
Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

My front windows on my truck measured to 7% and back measured 5%. It is already impossible to see out of at night, especially with the guage pod right there putting a little glare on the glass. But it isn't dark enough durring the day.

Anybody think a brow on the front will make the side windows darker by keeping some more light out of the cab?