Texas Inspection Requirements (Funny Story)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008 | 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

I take mine to the dealership. My inspections consist of 7 or so guys looking under the hood and revving it up. And they'll tap on a headlight sometimes. All this while their eyes are watering because of how rich it burns at idle.
Old 07-29-2008 | 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Jerry, if the car throws a code you can't inspect it dude...Its in the book
Old 07-29-2008 | 10:06 PM

Cool! To the original post---it is a good idea!

Old 07-29-2008 | 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Postman
dude, he was a state inspector.
Old 07-29-2008 | 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

....I know, I worked where he does now...and was also one...
Old 07-29-2008 | 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow you guys are dense and cocky. now your'e saying it can have the SES light on and still pass inspection legally? That's nothing but stupidity, especially for the guy claiming to be a state inspector.
Old 07-29-2008 | 11:15 PM
TECH Pimp

Cobra = Pass

All street non-racecars do..
Old 07-30-2008 | 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Like I said and the above person said who is a state inspector. There was no cause for a fail. One person show me where under dps law there is a requirement for no long tubes and the measurements that all vendors have to meet in order to be legal. You won't. I plan on reporting the place for being such dicks even when I called and asked nicely to state what was wrong and the ******* kept throwing out it is listed in his book which was prob 1990's.
i think the reason the long tubes failed is because most long tubes do not have the ports for AIR! and EGR! thus causing it to fail lol but idk your set up, yall might have the EGR and AIR system hooked up
Old 07-30-2008 | 01:11 AM
Teching In

This thread is ridiculous. It goes from talking about how he couldnt get his car inspected because the people wanted to try and throw him off on something technical.

I agree with the possibility of it being attitude, nobody wants to help an *******.

I wanna see someone scan the pages from "the book" everyone is quoting and go from there.
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Postman
Actually if the light is off somtimes it will pass with certain codes stored, other codes it will not, it depends.
Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Wow you guys are dense and cocky. now your'e saying it can have the SES light on and still pass inspection legally? That's nothing but stupidity, especially for the guy claiming to be a state inspector.
No ses light on, it will fail if it is on, period.
Originally Posted by Burninator
This thread is ridiculous. It goes from talking about how he couldnt get his car inspected because the people wanted to try and throw him off on something technical.

I agree with the possibility of it being attitude, nobody wants to help an *******.

I wanna see someone scan the pages from "the book" everyone is quoting and go from there.
I have read the book many times, have you? Didnt think so.
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
i think the reason the long tubes failed is because most long tubes do not have the ports for AIR! and EGR! thus causing it to fail lol but idk your set up, yall might have the EGR and AIR system hooked up
long tubes fail because they move the stock location of the cats
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by neutron82
ok well next time your machine asks if the mil turns off when the car is started go to no, the mil did not turn off and see if it lets you put a sticker on the car... the mil (malfunction indicator lamp, check engine light, etc) is ses light on our cars... the only exception i can think of is if its a safety only inspection but im not sure on that cause ive never ran into it
Hello I already stated there were no codes. Looking at the paper now MIL Cmnd Status OFF.

I think alot of you guys are misinformed either do your research or listen to the ones who are state inspectors. I mean damn for some to say your car is not legal because you have headers or because the cats are not in the stock location is BS. How do you think aftermarket vendors come up with there design? Off stock replacement. Also there is not requirement but the EPA nor State on cat placement.
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
Even the stock 2004-2005 GTO do not have AIR nor EGR that is on the headers so whats the cause for rejection? NON besides someone not being informed. I do however plan to go back up there and share this information with these guys in a nice way so someone else does not have to deal with it.
Old 07-30-2008 | 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
long tubes fail because they move the stock location of the cats
THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR PLACEMEMT

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...classsubmit=Go

Items of Inspection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

20.14 Exhaust Emission System. The owner or operator of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine beginning with the model year 1968 equipped with an exhaust emission system shall maintain the exhaust emission system in good operable condition and shall use it at all times that the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated. The owner or operator of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine shall not remove or intentionally make inoperable within the state of Texas the exhaust emission system or any part thereof, except where the purpose of removal of the exhaust emission system or part thereof is to install another exhaust emission system or part thereof, which is intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions from the vehicle or engine.

The exhaust emission system was installed by manufacturers of motor vehicles beginning with model year 1968. The inspection of the exhaust emission system will apply only to those vehicles that are equipped with such a system. The following exhaust emission systems will be inspected if installed as original equipment by the manufacturer: thermostatic air cleaner, exhaust gas recirculation system, positive crankcase ventilation system, air injection system, evaporative emission system, and/or catalytic converter.

If installed as original equipment by the manufacturer, the catalytic converter will be considered a part of the exhaust emission system on all 1984 and later model vehicles. It will be inspected as a part of the exhaust system on prior to 1984 model vehicles.

NOTE: The inspection of the exhaust emission system shall not apply to motor vehicles altered and modified to use only a fuel other than gasoline.

NOTE: Vehicles using liquefied petroleum gas as fuel or a combination of liquefied petroleum gas and any other fuel must bear a liquefied gas tax decal on the windshield lower right-hand corner showing this vehicle uses liquefied petroleum gas, before a safety inspection certificate can be issued.

NOTE: A motor vehicle that uses liquefied petroleum gas that is operated by a public school district or county in this state is not required to have a liquefied gas tax decal or special use liquefied gas tax decal.

NOTE: Vehicles that are originally manufactured with a Thermostatic Air Cleaner (TAC) System are required to have a closed-type design air filter system. (Vehicles 1996 and newer wre not originally manufactured with a Thermostatic Air Cleaner (TAC) System.)

NOTE: Vehicles that are not originally equipped with a Thermostatic Air Cleaner (TAC) System may have an aftermarket open-type air filter intake system installed. This type of system is not an item of inspection.

1. Inspection Procedure. Examine visually.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. The exhaust emission system has been removed.

b. The exhaust emission system has been disconnected.

c. The plumbing or hoses are loose, broken, leaking, or improperly routed.

d. Air pump (air injection-type) belt is loose, removed, excessively cracked, frayed or has pieces missing.

e.The exhaust emission system has been altered in any manner to make it ineffective.

f. The catalytic converter has been removed, leaking, or disconnected on a 1984 or later model vehicle

Last edited by 1INSANEGTO; 07-30-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2008 | 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

NOTE: Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.

1. Inspection Procedure. The exhaust system shall be examined visually while the engine is running to determine efficiency of the system.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Vehicle is not equipped with a muffler.

b. Any joint is loose or leaking, including manifolds. Does not include minor leakage at exhaust control valve (manifold damper or heat riser valve).

c. Manifold is cracked or broken causing leakage.

d. Holes, leaking seams, or patches on the muffler, resonators, exhaust pipe, tailpipe, or catalytic converter.

e. Exhaust system is not secured to the vehicle by mounting brackets designed for exhaust systems (wire is not acceptable).

f. Any brackets are loose, broken, or missing.

g. There is excessive vibration of exhaust line.

h. Any part of the exhaust system passes through the passenger compartment.

i. The tailpipe is broken, pinched, or eroded off to the extent to allow exhaust fumes to penetrate into the interior of the passenger compartment.

j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
Old 07-30-2008 | 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR PLACEMEMT

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...classsubmit=Go
Good to know, I know that used to be the case.

Just take your car to smaller place in a more poor neighborhood
Old 07-30-2008 | 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Sound like 1INSANEGTO did his homework and knows what he is talking about. Good job man. If everyone was as informed as him no one would be arguing about the cats/long tube thing.
Old 07-30-2008 | 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know, I know that used to be the case.

Just take your car to smaller place in a more poor neighborhood
We already got a inspection done and got a sticker. And this was not a Cali car. LA like louisiana
Old 07-30-2008 | 07:41 AM
On The Tree

you beat me to it!!!!

you literally have NO idea what you are talking about.
Old 07-30-2008 | 07:43 AM
On The Tree

ses light is on it will not pass inspection 1st thing you look for once you get in the car!!

Originally Posted by oneBADDz