Texas Inspection Requirements (Funny Story)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about brake lights?? I removed my ABS system and the interior brake lights are on. Will they fail me for that??
Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Abs is not standard on all cars. Nothing says that brake light being on will fail a car. As long as the rear brake lights work, and in your case they do, and the car can stop fine then it passes.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Abs is not standard on all cars. Nothing says that brake light being on will fail a car. As long as the rear brake lights work, and in your case they do, and the car can stop fine then it passes.
Good to know. Now if I can just get them past the sound
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
What about brake lights?? I removed my ABS system and the interior brake lights are on. Will they fail me for that??
Good question... I also removed ABS from my 2004 GTO Turbo car. I can not wait till I go to get it inspected and they see a S91 turbo under there. However it will have cats on there..or what looks like one alot of the issue people have can be solved my tuning.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Good to know. Now if I can just get them past the sound
Not a requirement

NOTE: Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nosirs, read the law.

Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.
There's your proof, fellas. It is illegal to replace tehm without DOCUMENTING that they needed replaced, and it is must be placed in the stock location. Moving them further downstream lowers their efficiency and IS ILLEGAL.

Read the emissions laws guys, not just the exhaust laws.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Nosirs, read the law.

There's your proof, fellas. It is illegal to replace tehm without DOCUMENTING that they needed replaced, and it is must be placed in the stock location. Moving them further downstream lowers their efficiency and IS ILLEGAL.

Interpret it like this, the orginals were in the y pipe, so as long as they are in the y pipe its ok. They were not part of the exhaust manifold.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nosirs, read the law.

2 SLOW is never wrong!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nosirs, read the law.

DR.GAS, Flowmaster, and many other put it in the stock locations. Where do you think they come up with there designs???????? They base it off the stock design
Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Postman
Jerry, if the car throws a code you can't inspect it dude...Its in the book
If anyone can show me the page and article # in the book that states that any code thrown while doing a OBDII scan fails the vehicle let me know! The only light that can fail a vehicle would be the ABS light when doing the break test. And from what I can see most of yall adding to the conversation are from Houston or DFW ( Which are EMISSIONS COUNTIES !!!!! ).

TA DA!!!!!!!!!
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badasschevy123
If anyone can show me the page and article # in the book that states that any code thrown while doing a OBDII scan fails the vehicle let me know! The only light that can fail a vehicle would be the ABS light when doing the break test. And from what I can see most of yall adding to the conversation are from Houston or DFW ( Which are EMISSIONS COUNTIES !!!!! ).

TA DA!!!!!!!!!
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/
Show me where an abs light fails a car? It doesnt sir. Abs is still not standard equipment. You are right about the code thing. If the ses light is not on and it has a code it can still pass, depending on which code is stored.

Inspection/Rejection Criteria
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20.02 Brakes. Every passenger car, truck, bus, school bus, and motorcycle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:

1. Motor-driven cycles, motor scooters, motorcycle sidecars, or mopeds.

2. Trucks and truck tractors (manufactured prior to 1981) having three or more axles need not have brakes on the front wheels, except that when such vehicles are equipped with at least two steerable axles, the wheels on one steerable axle need not have brakes. However, such trucks and truck tractors must be capable of complying with the performance requirements of this Act.

3. Any vehicle being towed in a driveaway or towaway operation, provided the combination of vehicles is capable of complying with the brake performance requirements, does not require brakes acting on all wheels.

Definition of Terms:

Brake System: A combination of one or more brakes and their related means of operation and control.

Service Brake System: A brake system used for retarding, stopping, and controlling the vehicle under normal operating conditions. This brake is sometimes referred to as "foot brake."

Parking Brake System: A brake system used to hold and maintain the vehicle in a stationary position. (A positive mechanical means is employed to hold the brake applied when the vehicle is unattended.)

Pedal Reserve: As applied to hydraulic, mechanical, or power assisted hydraulic brakes, this is the amount of distance (total pedal travel) left in reserve when the pedal is depressed to the brake-applied position. (The purpose of the pedal reserve check is to ascertain the degree of the brake adjustment and to demonstrate satisfactory brake actuating system condition).

Equalization: Brakes shall be so adjusted as to operate as equally as practicable with respect to the wheels on the opposite sides of the vehicle.

Driveaway-Towaway Operation: Any operation in which any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, singly or in combination, new or used, constitutes the commodity being transported when one set or more of wheels of any such vehicle are on the roadway during the course of the transportation, whether or not any such vehicle furnishes the motor power.

4. Inspection Procedure. Service brake performance tests should be conducted on a substantially level, hard, smooth surface road or area that is free from loose material, oil, or grease. Using the service brake only, the stopping ability of the vehicle should be tested by one of the following methods.

a. Service Brake Test

1) On Road (Decelerometer): Mount an approved decelerometer at centerline of vehicle. Level the deceleromoter. At a speed of 20 mph apply service brake firmly. Observe decelerometer reading.

2) On Road (Road Test): At a speed of 20 mph apply service brakes firmly. Observe whether a vehicle comes to a smooth stop within the distance prescribed by the chart, "Required Brake Performance." Inspector should have firm control of the steering wheel throughout the test.

3) Platform Tester: Drive vehicle onto "drive-on-and-stop" platform tester. Apply brakes firmly at a speed from 4-8 mph without wheel lockup. All braking action must take place on the platforms.

NOTE: Front-wheel drive vehicles are to be checked by road test only unless a platform tester specifically approved by the Department to test front-wheel drive vehicles is used.

These machines may be used to inspect the relative effectiveness of each wheel. There should be braking action on all wheels and the action on any one wheel should be 75 percent or more of the action on the other wheel on the same axle.

4) Roller-Type Brake (Dynamometer-Force Measuring Type):

a) Adjust tire inflation to recommended values.

b) Position vehicle on dynamometer rolls and begin test.

c) Follow Department’s recommended testing procedures.

b. Test Brake Hydraulic System for Leakage.

While vehicle is stopped, inspector should be able to apply a moderate foot force (40-60 pounds in nonpowered systems and 15-20 pounds in power assisted systems).

c. Test Pedal Reserve.

While the vehicle is stopped, depress brake pedal under moderate foot force (40-60 pounds in nonpowered systems and 15-20 pounds in power assisted systems).

d. Condition of Vacuum System.

Visually inspect system for collapsed, broken, badly chafed and improperly supported hoses and tubes, and loose or broken hose clamps.

5.Inspect Service Brakes for and reject if:

a. Vehicle is not equipped with required service brakes.

b. Upon first application, there is less than 2 inches of pedal reserve as determined by the use of an accurate measurement on the fully applied brake pedal of vehicles equipped with conventional brakes.

c. Upon first application, there is less than 1 inch of pedal reserve as determined by the use of an accurate mea-surement on the fully applied brake pedal of vehicles with power brakes (power must be on and operating when tested).

d. On service brakes that cannot be checked with the use of an accurate measurement, there is less than a reserve of one-third of the total travel distance of the brake actuator.

e. Brake pedal height cannot be maintained under moderate foot force (40 to 60 pounds for conventional - 15 to 20 pounds for power) for a period of 1 minute.

f. There is visible leakage or audible seepage in hydraulic lines and cylinders, or any other part of the service brake system.

g. Fluid level in the master cylinder is more than 1 inch below the top of the reservoir or below manufacturer’s recommended level.

h. Hoses or cables are restricted, abraded, crimped, cracked, leaking, frayed, or broken.

i. Brake rods or mechanical parts are missing, broken, badly worn, or misaligned.

j. Brake operating levers or control cables do not operate freely, improperly positioned, or misaligned.

k. Any part of the service brake system has been removed, disconnected, rendered inoperative.

l. There is an obvious metal to metal contact sound when brakes are applied, and upon investigation, drum or disk is being scored.

m. The service brakes do not develop the required total braking force as determined by machine tests.

n. Brakes do not meet requirements for stopping distances for the class of vehicle.

o. The brakes are not equalized as determined from road testing or by machine tests of the vehicle.

p. Break warning lamp or signal is on or comes on during test.

NOTE: NOTE: Anti-lock (ABS) lamp or signal which is on or comes on during test will not be cause for rejection.

NOTE: It is imperative that brake system reservoir cover and the surrounding area be thoroughly cleaned before cover is removed for inspection to assure that NO DIRT OR WATER is mixed with the brake fluid.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Listen guys, yall are both wrong. Are either one of yall state inspectors? I am! Why do most companies sell headers with the air and egr still on them in a longtube version? Find somewhere in print that says long tube headers are illegal? Stock location is a vague term that can be translated differently. Stock location can mean, before the y pipe, berfore the muffler. You guys are reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to far into it.
read my post again i said "i think", no i do not know if the cats have to be in stock location i was was just trying to help the other guy say what he was trying to say. i have heard many times that cats cant be moved but ive never read the law
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

EPA for requirements on converters

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Your statement of

2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
Do not go with gov standards. As long as it meets the standards you can put whatever you want on it.

Fact of the matter to all this not even a state inspector is going to know all these requirements. Also the term stock location is used loosely.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by djjab57
read my post again i said "i think", no i do not know if the cats have to be in stock location i was was just trying to help the other guy say what he was trying to say. i have heard many times that cats cant be moved but ive never read the law
Not a personal attack on you, but the problem we have on here is alot of people trying to talk about things they have no idea about. It is misleading and misinforms people. If you dont know the laws, then you dont have anything to saw, period.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Teching In

I have read the book many times, have you? Didnt think so.
This is the internet, i can claim to be the queen of england all day long and there is nothing you can say that will disprove it, what? cause this is the internet.

Arguing over whether or not you have read it is not worth the time. I have no way of knowing who you are, what you do, or what you have read.

That being said i was trying to get everyone off the e-peen contest of "ive read it, youre an idiot", but i guess you didnt quite catch that.

In the end it doesnt matter i guess, someone found the book
Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Not a personal attack on you, but the problem we have on here is alot of people trying to talk about things they have no idea about. It is misleading and misinforms people. If you dont know the laws, then you dont have anything to saw, period.
I agree with you. If you are not a lisenced state inspector stfu. At the end of the day everybody comes to us begging for stickers once a year and all the laws go out the door.

If people want to get off on technicalities that's fine. gov/fed/state laws are laws but not all of them work together. for example: cats, cats must be installed in the original location, fine. BUT for state inspection as long as you have them your golden. (same for exhaust and mufflers)

example #2. DPS requires a minimum of 35% light transmitance for window tint, fine BUT for state inspection the min is 20% light transmitance, WTF same dept.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Burninator
This is the internet, i can claim to be the queen of england all day long and there is nothing you can say that will disprove it, what? cause this is the internet.

Arguing over whether or not you have read it is not worth the time. I have no way of knowing who you are, what you do, or what you have read.

That being said i was trying to get everyone off the e-peen contest of "ive read it, youre an idiot", but i guess you didnt quite catch that.

In the end it doesnt matter i guess, someone found the book
Are you a state inspector?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

i can understand that , but what about onebaddz post where it shows the law saying it has to be in the stock location. is there something im missing in that or has things changed?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Postman
Jerry, if the car throws a code you can't inspect it dude...Its in the book
Dude, stfu. you were a state inspector for what, like a month? come by the shop and show me where in the book its says FAIL. You know where the book is.

NOW, like i said in my very first post (the same post I was backing up nsanegto, because the inspectors were being jackasses/idiots). If you are IN A EMMISSIONS COUNTY you WILL get OBDII TESTED. (look at the diagram), IF the SES/engine light is on, it will fail on the basis that its an evap/air... EMISSIONS components in the vehicle are jacked, and that's it. ABS light on? it will still pass, as long as it passes the brake test. I swear to god i'm looking at the book right meow. I wish i had my camera with me.

I've been looking at the book all morning. If anybody can find IN THE BOOK, and I mean in the INSPECTION BOOK (not ******* gov/fed laws because gov/federal agents dont inspect) where it says that ses/engine light fails, I'll stfu.

Last edited by kornfreak_401; 07-30-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Are you a state inspector?
can i say i am? yes.

Does that automatically make me right? no.

Edit: and youre missing the point of what i said. I was saying that until someone could come up with something factual other then "im a state inspector and youre an idiot" its not worth arguing over. I dont see how you could possibly find fault in that statement, nor how asking me if im a state inspector since i didnt even have an opinion, so does it really matter?