Employee Price on any Vette Instock (limited)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is an email i got and responded to, i figured i would share it with yall and it will help the ones that are shopping for a vette or any gas drinker right now in this economy

Originally Posted by ls11
so can u really get a base 08 vette automatic for around 34 otd with the zero percent?

what would be the otd on a 08 z06 1lz base?

i might be interested in one of each. let me know.
i cant tell you how much we can sell a car for #1 i work as a finance manager #2 i could lose my job #3 sales managers will not go into holdback unless you are doing extensive price comparising on a car that cost them money to keep in stock..... but i can tell you how to negotiate the best deal, #1 do a search of all the chevy dealers within 250mi. from your house #2 get their internet sales fax numbers #3 fax all the dealers a letter saying your name and e mail, which vehicle you want and note that you're not interested in employee pricing or invoice pricing and you know dealers will go into holdback to get rid of non selling units, include its towards the end of the year and you want an 08, also state that you are sending this fax to every dealer withing 250mi of you and whoever gives you the best otd price will earn your business #4 always negotiate through the internet and e mail or fax, not by phone or going into the dealership, only go there to sign after all the negotiating is done #5 not everyone will give you attention cuz they work off of commision and if they sell it that cheap they are basically working for free... so the ones that dont email back or fax you back anything then find out the name of the general manager of that dealership,.... contact him by phone or email, tell him exactly what you are doing, general managers get paid from inventory and number of units sold and they lose money on their pay check by cars sitting on the lot costing the dealer thousands in interest, so the general manager wants this gas drinker gone!!! and he will get on the *** of the internet dept to do exactly that,...... this method should be very helpful on getting a smoking deal, i hope it helps you on your purchase
Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

all gm dealer work off a invoice.....All. This is straight from a Vette sitting on your lot, dropped off by GM for your inventory.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9sec02ss
here is an email i got and responded to, i figured i would share it with yall and it will help the ones that are shopping for a vette or any gas drinker right now in this economy

i cant tell you how much we can sell a car for #1 i work as a finance manager #2 i could lose my job #3 sales managers will not go into holdback unless you are doing extensive price comparising on a car that cost them money to keep in stock..... but i can tell you how to negotiate the best deal, #1 do a search of all the chevy dealers within 250mi. from your house #2 get their internet sales fax numbers #3 fax all the dealers a letter saying your name and e mail, which vehicle you want and note that you're not interested in employee pricing or invoice pricing and you know dealers will go into holdback to get rid of non selling units, include its towards the end of the year and you want an 08, also state that you are sending this fax to every dealer withing 250mi of you and whoever gives you the best otd price will earn your business #4 always negotiate through the internet and e mail or fax, not by phone or going into the dealership, only go there to sign after all the negotiating is done #5 not everyone will give you attention cuz they work off of commision and if they sell it that cheap they are basically working for free... so the ones that dont email back or fax you back anything then find out the name of the general manager of that dealership,.... contact him by phone or email, tell him exactly what you are doing, general managers get paid from inventory and number of units sold and they lose money on their pay check by cars sitting on the lot costing the dealer thousands in interest, so the general manager wants this gas drinker gone!!! and he will get on the *** of the internet dept to do exactly that,...... this method should be very helpful on getting a smoking deal, i hope it helps you on your purchase

wonder how your doing $34K OTD, maybe its stk#85112357 with 2696miles sitting on the used cars side? cause the cheapest base model vette u guys have has before LAM,IMr & holdback of $42682.50
Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

we have sold 6 vettes since the beginning of this month....and 2 were Z06's...we are 7 days into Aug, these people shopped and we gave them the best price, now if they shopped the metroplex tell me why they didnt buy from vandergriff if u can sell a 2LT vette for 34K OTD when the base invoice price is almost $43K???? Like I said our Dealer Trade guy and dealer principal would loved to talk to your dealer trade guys and get some Vettes off of ya if your giving them away that bad...going way way behind invoice.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

* i have never stated at anytime you can get any vehicle for a cretain price, it depends on how you can negotiate and get deep into holdback* i also explained very thoroughly how to do just that, note: the 34k you are talking about came up from another poster in a pm sent to me and didnt come from me, if you knew how to read you would know this

all and all if you dont understand thats fine just drop it i have spent way too much time on here telling the truth and pointing out important negotiating tools, only trying to help ls1 owners, i didnt want to argue, i get on ls1tech to read about badass cars, i have a love for my hobby which is fast cars, aftermarket mods, custom fabrication and trying to go faster etc.etc. my hobby does not consist of arguing with oil changers, i have tried and tried and you still dont understand, i bet you dropped out of school huh??? im done with arguing with an oil changer and im dropping the subject, i have stated everything a consumer needs to know to get a smoking deal on a gas guzzler in this economy, im sorry we have had our mis-understandings but you just dont get it, even after thorough explanation

Last edited by 9sec02ss; 08-07-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

u have done nothing but spread misinformation. Like I said our dealership would gladly buy some of those vettes off of ya. the more vettes we sell the more Zr1's we get, we already have 3 coming so lets do some dealing........well?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Plus I im not a oil changer...Im the Admin Assist, I report the deals to GM, Some dealertrades, Delivery cars to highend customers of ours, Re cap the deals, report certified cars to GM and GMPP's, handle all incentives for the dealership, handle the Aircheck TX stuff, Update and maintain our website, handle problem customers, Repo cars and I have done this for the past 10yrs.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's the invoice on my wife's car to help everyone get a better idea on what we're all talking about.

I don't care what anyone tells you. If you can buy a car at the GMS price, it is a good deal. You won't find a dealer willing to sell below that unless the car is extremely old aged or the dealer has some dealer cash that they can apply to that vehicle. Dealer cash is doled out by GM on certain units that have become stale and not selling well. It's generally not made aware to the public but most dealers will use it to sell the car at a lower price.

So my point is that the Vandergriff f&i guy has done nothing but come in here and give you all advice that most likely would end up with you wasting your time at the dealer and not getting a car at the rediculous assed price you've been instructed to ask for. If this guy is such an LS1 community lover, where the hell has he been for the 7 years? Not posting on this site apparently. I would suggest you trust people that have been here and have a good reputation. Ask any of my previous customers and they will tell you that I have not steered them in wrong direction. I'm not in sales anymore but I still don't want any of you wasting your time with advice like this because I know what will happen.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm.... I've bought numerous new cars in the last few years (sickness? yes) and I am leaning towards what 9sec02 has said, based on my own experience.

GMS is a good starting price. But, don't forget to tack on any available rebates and slap down your GM card points on top of those too. Typically I've paid total invoice (green area shown above) minus holdback, minus rebates. Basically the same thing as GMS minus rebates.

I also do my negotiations via email, just as that guy recommended. Only chumps waste their time at a dealership haggling with commission guys who aren't looking out for your best interests. The internet sales mgr at each dealership is also the one I prefer to chat with.

Recent brand-new purchases:

2005 Corvette
2006 Civic
2006 Harley Fat Boy
2006 Harley Sportster
2006 GTO
2006 Mustang GT
2006 Ram 2500 4x4
2006 Ram 1500
2007 GMC Sierra
2007 Ford F150
2007 Escalade
2008 Silverado 2500
2008 Cadillac CTS

I've had a little experience buying cars
Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Hmmm.... I've bought numerous new cars in the last few years (sickness? yes) and I am leaning towards what 9sec02 has said, based on my own experience.

GMS is a good starting price. But, don't forget to tack on any available rebates and slap down your GM card points on top of those too. Typically I've paid total invoice (green area shown above) minus holdback, minus rebates. Basically the same thing as GMS minus rebates.

I also do my negotiations via email, just as that guy recommended. Only chumps waste their time at a dealership haggling with commission guys who aren't looking out for your best interests. The internet sales mgr at each dealership is also the one I prefer to chat with.

2005 Corvette
2006 Civic
2006 Harley Fat Boy
2006 Harley Sportster
2006 GTO
2006 Mustang GT
2006 Ram 2500 4x4
2006 Ram 1500
2007 GMC Sierra
2007 Ford F150
2007 Escalade
2008 Silverado 2500
2008 Cadillac CTS

Now Tony why do you always have to brag to everyone how ******* rich you are?

JK of course...
Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Well I haven't purchased a new car in some time. But I have run into some finance guys that were cool and basically told me what 9sec has said.

Also had a friend that was regional sales manager for autotrader.com NOLA area and said employee pricing is a scam to get people in. The invoice they will gladly show you is not the invoice for the dealership. They show you that invoice to make you think you got a great deal. I am too drunk to try and remember what the hell the other invoice is called, hell 9sec might of even referred to it.

Moral of the story, employee pricing isn't always the best deal you can get. And BTW, Huffines in Plano has a crapload of Vettes on the lot. I've seen one Z06 on the lot and there are probably more. They have been there for a good 2-4 months also.

Tony did you use internet sales to pick up your Vette from Huffines? I could be wrong but I thought you said thats where you got it from.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Sarge, most people would just call me broke after wasting all that money on new car purchases. I was displaying my poor judgement skills at financial decisions.

666, I've used the internet sales mgr for just about all purchases. Huffines/Plano too, the C6 came from there. Did the deal via email and then phone, drove up, signed the paperwork in 15 minutes, drove it back home.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Sarge, most people would just call me broke after wasting all that money on new car purchases. I was displaying my poor judgement skills at financial decisions.
I was just making a joke about what quickblade said to you...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 9sec02ss
look dude let me help you understand this..... im not talking about getting a better deal on the "employee" pricing promotion, the employee price is 5% over invoice minus rebates,..... gm does not include any holdback on their gm employee pricing promo, thats what you dont understand,...... holdback is different for each dealer when you factor in amount of inventory, amout of vettes that were ordered and delivered this year, and how much interest owed on the banks holding the mso's on current inventory,..... look everyone in arlington knows vandergriff is famous for their $100 over invoice pricing on their cars,...... FOR EXAMPLE: if a cars invoice is $20,000 then we could sell it for $20,100 thats $100 over invoice but if you get the "employee" pricing promo its 5% over invoice which would mean you would take 20k and times it by 5% and adding the two figures together,..... that means the gm employee price would be $21,000 on a invoice of $20,000,...... we sell $100 over invoice all the time which in this example would be $900 less than the "employee" pricing,..... negotiating has nothing to do with the employee pricing, the dealer can sell something for as much or as little as they want its up to the dealer but when you sell something on a promo like the gm employee pricing promo you have to go by the guidelines which is 5% over invoice,..... so you say how do we make money on a car if we sell alot of them $100 over invoice??? HOLDBACK!!! if we only make $100 on a car today and it has a holdback of say like a silverado z71 of $6200 then when the dealer gets their quarterly holdback checks we will have totally made $6300 dollars on that silverado z71, $100 from over invoice when it was sold and $6200 in holdback on their quarterly checks....... how do you think dealerships make money?!?!?!?! its all holdback, look with all the internet pricing and shopping and negotiating going on, i mean look, who goes into buying a car and not beat the dealer up on price???? i would say maybe just maybe 1% of the population buys cars for msrp. well if everyone is negotiating and there is soo much competition then how can these dealerships afford to pay all their employees, pay for insurance, health insurance, taxes, payroll, all the property and afford the multi million dollar lot and showroom and service dept and the hundereds of thousands they spend every 2 months on just interest alone on current inventory to the banks holding mso's???? how do they afford that??? HOLDBACK..... when negotiating sales managers never go into holdback they just go off of invoice plus what they sell it at and thats their profit, THE ONLY TIME A DEALER WILL GO INTO HOLDBACK IS ON SOMETHING THAT DOSENT SELL, COST THEM MONEY ON INTEREST AND THEY ARE NOT HOT SELLERS, like the suburban, tahoe, 2500hd silverado and the gas drinking vettes,..... gm employee pricing has nothing to do with holdback, holdback is strictly confidential to the individual dealer, I WAS JUST POINTING OUT THAT YOU CAN GET WELL INTO HOLDBACK WHICH RANGES FROM $6000-$9000 ON VETTES AND Z06 IN THIS MARKET RIGHT NOW, just trying to help other ls1 guys understand that 5% over cost which is gm's employee pricing may sound good for advertisement purposes and comercials saying hey gm now has employee pricing,.... but its not the best way to get the best deal...... sorry for trying to help other people, but now i hope you understand the difference between a promo and non promos, and if you dont understand after all of that then just go back to changing oil in the service dept and leave all of this to someone with an education, im not trying to sound like a dick but your calling me a liar and im not lying im telling the truth about the market right now and trying to help people.....
makes sense to me
Old 08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

2005 Corvette
2006 Civic
2006 Harley Fat Boy
2006 Harley Sportster
2006 GTO
2006 Mustang GT
2006 Ram 2500 4x4
2006 Ram 1500
2007 GMC Sierra
2007 Ford F150
2007 Escalade
2008 Silverado 2500
2008 Cadillac CTS

and that has nothing to do with what were talking about. I said u get rebates and/or rate. Morpheus posted an actual GM invoice......H/B and Invoices are the same for all dealers...why would we dealertrade if H/B is different for each dealer? That makes no sense that H/B is different from each dealer. The amount stated on the invoice is the amount that will be paid. But hey u would rather believe a racist commenting (jewish people are not all penny pinchers and thats one race all people should have respect for with their history u goose stepper) F&I guy who has the maturity of a 15yr old and I bet hasn't been the business as long as I have. Im sure he works off of the ReyRey system (ERA link) for his finance screen and I see the same thing he does everyday and he has no idea what he is talking about
Old 08-08-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

We have about 10 retired UAW workers who work for us, from sales to service to our PR guy who is the Former UAW president. I have ask them about buying from Vandergriff and no one remember ever getting below GMS on there purchase and know of anyone getting GMS or Invoice and then getting $9K behind that without rebates cause this is what Mr. Vandergriff F&I guy is saying. These same employees sent us there mothers, sons, daughters, friends and other family....now u think if they could get a better deal at Vandergriff they wouldnt send them here would they??? Use some Common sense.

Me and my family & friends have bought
96 Trans Am WS6 (me) used
98 Trans Am (me) used
96 Trans Am WS6 (dad) used
02 Beetle (me) used
01 Dakota R/T (dad) used
05 2500HD (best friend) used
01 Ram 1500 (best friends brother)
08 2500HD (church member) GMS
07 Trailblazer SS (Dad & Mom) GSU
06 350Z (friend) used
04 Z06 (friend) GMS

I wouldnt sell to my friends if we are ripping there heads off like Mr. Vandergriff F&I guy is saying we are doing.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
and that has nothing to do with what were talking about. I said u get rebates and/or rate. Morpheus posted an actual GM invoice......H/B and Invoices are the same for all dealers...why would we dealertrade if H/B is different for each dealer? That makes no sense that H/B is different from each dealer. The amount stated on the invoice is the amount that will be paid. But hey u would rather believe a racist commenting (jewish people are not all penny pinchers and thats one race all people should have respect for with their history u goose stepper) F&I guy who has the maturity of a 15yr old and I bet hasn't been the business as long as I have. Im sure he works off of the ReyRey system (ERA link) for his finance screen and I see the same thing he does everyday and he has no idea what he is talking about
so im racist now??? dude i said that in a joking manner and i even said lol after i said it, thats kinda like me saying most preps are a momma's boy, or saying most black people listen to rap, or most rednecks listen to good ol country music, or a skater likes rock music, how is that racist, oh my bad since i said that i must hail hitler huh??? looks like you're mad cuz people that actually buy alot of vehicles are going by what i say and are agreeing with me, so instead of trying to pick something i say apart just chill and have a civil judgement about it

also, to explain different holdback for dealers is simple, you described your job and basically you're the secretary which the secretary is the bitch of the store and has NO BUSINESS and NOT ALLOWED in closing screens and finalizing screens, also you have to have a high end password to get into those screens and if you did get into those screens you wouldnt have any idea what you're looking at, i mean if yall do business like that i bet the guy at the parts counter could get in the lightspeed terminal and tell me the amount of hold back a unit has lol or maybe your custodian lol, sooo....... let me explain the difference between hold backs for each dealer, GM will have salesmen from gm called "district reps" to try and make a dealer order more inventory, NOTE: the more vehicles ordered = the more $$$ gm makes, gm makes money off of dealers, not public, the dealers make money off of public, so.... there are incentives for ordering more units from gm, which is very cost effective, meaning if a small dealer orders 50 silverados from gm they will get the normal invoice deal from gm, but if a power dealer orders 250 silverados from gm they will get huge hold back incentives, its a gamble though cuz if you order too many it could cost you tons in interest from the banks buying them from gm to put on your lot, but if you order a good amount of them you can sell alot, make alot on holdback, have first dibs on the next years order and a power dealer has priority over other dealers from gm if they need anything at all, keep in mind dealers are customers to gm, gm makes $$$ off of dealers thats why they put out huge incentives like big holdbacks or invoice reduction incentives, mainly they put their incentives in the holdback #'s cuz its confidential to that specific dealer,....... thats why a jim bob store in the country can sell a vette for 50k and a power dealer can sell one for 42k, its cuz of the incentives they got from gm cuz they ordered alot more vettes then jim bob in the country did, so they have alot more holdback to work with,....... but as i said before, sales managers dont go into holdback when negotiating on a vehicle unless they have too many in stock and they are not selling, so with gas prices being at all time highs and the economy being in bad shape right now not many people are buying vettes and they are just sitting on the lot, and each day a vehicle sits on the lot it cost the dealers money in interest SO I WAS POINTING OUT RIGHT NOW WOULD BE THE BEST TIME TO GET WELL INTO HOLDBACK on large dealers that have big holdbacks to negotiate with and big dealers that are losing money on gas guzlers right now, you probably dont understand that either since you havent understood anything that i have thoroughly explained in the past but hey i tried
Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dealers do receive holdback money from GM during the year.

I'm not trying to start a war here, I'm just saying that I've never seen a dealer offer up prices $900 less than GM employee pricing before rebate unless the vehicle is old aged or is something that is hard to sell. If you'll notice on the invoice that I posted where it says MEMO and has a dollar amount beside it. That's roughly what the dealer gets paid for selling that unit on the GMS program. If they want to sell lower than that WITHOUT FIGURING IN REBATES, more power to them but I promise you it's going to be hard to find a dealer that will do it.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Morpheus
Dealers do receive holdback money from GM during the year.

I'm not trying to start a war here, I'm just saying that I've never seen a dealer offer up prices $900 less than GM employee pricing before rebate unless the vehicle is old aged or is something that is hard to sell. If you'll notice on the invoice that I posted where it says MEMO and has a dollar amount beside it. That's roughly what the dealer gets paid for selling that unit on the GMS program. If they want to sell lower than that WITHOUT FIGURING IN REBATES, more power to them but I promise you it's going to be hard to find a dealer that will do it.
that is what the dealer gets paid on GMS, sometimes on old units that are hard to sell GM will come out with dealer cash that only the dealer may know about yes sometimes the dealer does Hold it, I wouldnt consider that Holdback, since I put that amount on a different line when I recap and close a deal. But most of the time a dealer will give that money from GM to the customer cause it will help sell that old unit faster....right now there is none on vettes accepts direct mail coupons and GM card earnings, no "old invoice cash"
Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

that is what the dealer gets paid on GMS, sometimes on old units that are hard to sell GM will come out with dealer cash that only the dealer may know about yes sometimes the dealer does Hold it, I wouldnt consider that Holdback, since I put that amount on a different line when I recap and close a deal. But most of the time a dealer will give that money from GM to the customer cause it will help sell that old unit faster....right now there is none on vettes accepts direct mail coupons and GM card earnings, no "old invoice cash"
You're not telling me anything I don't already know. My response to you was that dealers do receive holdback money from gm that isn't show on the invoice and it's not something you'd have access to when closing a deal. The dealership I was at got paid quarterly.

I'm not denying that dealers get this money, I'm just denying that dealers will freely give it up.