Sprint to Cingular/AT&T, thinking about switching again. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sprint to Cingular/AT&T, thinking about switching again. Need opinions.

I was with Sprint years back and after a while, I felt like I was getting screwed around because I was getting all kinds of overages when I knew darn well I was watching my usage. It was charges after charges, fees, etc. and I got fed up with it and ended up switching to Cingular.

Cingular was great, but ever since the switch to AT&T, seems like everything has gone down hill. Dropped calls, failed calls, the phone will say connecting for a while, then just end, or ring once, then silent, and end, network busy, signal strength not as good, etc. At those times, I would use my company phone to make the call and had no problem. It's Verizon.

I tried getting my phone replaced, but my warranty was up and they couldn't do anything for me. They said I was eligible for an upgrade, but I didn't want to do that because I would be renewing my contract. I had a phone/device issue while I was with Sprint and even though my phone's warranty was expired, they still took care of me. I was hoping the same from Cingular/AT&T.

Anyhow, I'm becoming unhappy with AT&T's service and was thinking about making another switch.

How do you feel about Cricket? $45 a month for unlimited everything and no signing a contract?

Consider another wireless company?

Stick with AT&T?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

first i hate cingular!! F*CK THAT COMPANY!!!

i have sprint right now and its okay. honestly, i think if i were to switch i would try verizon though. never had experience with AT&T. but if your having issues then give em tha boot!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had Cingular ever since I've had a cell phone. Of course now it's AT&T, and I don't really have issues. Yeah if I'm out in the middle of the sticks then I don't get service, but that's expected.

Plus I just bought an iPhone 3G and this thing is freakin cool!

Last edited by ZFSix; 08-22-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

was with verizon for years, no problem with them. Switched to Nextel, Nextel was great, but then Sprint bought them out, and it went down hill from there. Left sprint and went back to Verizon..
now I am back to no problems again..
Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
first i hate cingular!! F*CK THAT COMPANY!!!

i have sprint right now and its okay. honestly, i think if i were to switch i would try verizon though. never had experience with AT&T. but if your having issues then give em tha boot!
Congular and AT&T merged quite a while ago

I had sprint back in 00-01 and I hated them their coverage was horrible, they might be better now but I don't care i'll never go back.
I have had AT&T for the last three years and I can't complain one bit. Just upgraded from the regular iphone to the new 3g iphone and WOW, 3g is much faster on the internet.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The only thing I don't like about AT&T wireless (Cingular) is their stupid oversized envelopes they send the bill in.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a phone issue and not a service issue
Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blake culp
Congular and AT&T merged quite a while ago

I had sprint back in 00-01 and I hated them their coverage was horrible, they might be better now but I don't care i'll never go back.
I have had AT&T for the last three years and I can't complain one bit. Just upgraded from the regular iphone to the new 3g iphone and WOW, 3g is much faster on the internet.

yeah man, i got dinged with roaming fees and it was an outragoues amount!! now most of the cell phone companies rarely have roaming.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Launching!

I like at&t I have had them for 7yrs now without a problem I get service everywhere.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Had Sprint their customer service sucked. Then went to Cingular (AT&T) the same problem. Have been with Verizon for the past 3 years and no problems what so ever. Great customer service. Just got me a Blackberry. Love it.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O6DODGE
I like at&t I have had them for 7yrs now without a problem I get service everywhere.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

Happy verizon customer here
Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Teching In

My mom had sprint back in like 98, it was horrible. My dad works for the govt so he has nextel, so my mom went nextel. Other then how expensive it was, they never had any problems pre-buyout.

All my contact with ATT, verizon and alltel have been terrible. you pay rediculous amounts more for them.

I have a blackberry now, just like when i had verizon but i pay half as much and i get more then what i had. Everyone complains about the customer service, which i agree can be frustrating, but in 4 years i have called like 3 times.

Anyone with nextel should know that sprint plans on selling off the iden network. Thats why you see all these "sprint, now with nextel direct connect". its either 2009 or 2010
Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
sounds like a phone issue and not a service issue
I agree.

I've had my same service since it was PrimeCo back in like 97 or 98, then ATT bought em out I think around 01-02, then Cingular took over (in what appeared to be ATT putting all their customers on Cingulars billing network & rate plans since ATT had so many irregularities. They gave me 100 free mins. every time I renewed, so I was paying 39.99 for like 950 mins, nights that started at 7 & unlim. weekends. I was so pissed when I couldn't just buy a new phone & keep my plan because they went to the 64k sim cards or what ever....but then ATT took back over, but the whole time, never any real problems. I had an Tbag phone for a while & their coverage sucked on the out lying areas of Houston when I had a IT support job where I traveled all over town with.

They have a good deal on their Blackberry Curves right now. For me it will be free after the rebate & I get 10% of my plan & other services thru work. You should find someone else with the same carrier & a different model phone to come out & see if maybe you just don't have a tower close to you or if it's just your phone getting crap reception.

Also, read up on Cnet about your phone in the reviews section to see if they had reception issues if there is a review on it.....

ATT has been good to me, although ALL the companies suck for charging for text messages if you have unlimited data....a text IS data. But, there are some apps you can use to get around this from what I've read.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Ross-
The only thing I don't like about AT&T wireless (Cingular) is their stupid oversized envelopes they send the bill in.
get online billing and problem solved
Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Verizon wireless >at&t
Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Teching In

AT&T + RAZR = Never (EVER) a dropped call, not once in my case. I think it also depends on where you live, plus which phone. I have noticed PDA style phones drop more calls than simple phones.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 AM
9 Second Club NA

I think if I were to make the switch, it would be Verizon. Not just because a lot of have mentioned it here, but as I said above, when my personal phone (AT&T) had trouble dialing out, I would use my company phone (Verizon) to make the call and had no problem doing so.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cricket. They have the best rates for sure. I take it their customer service and service itself sucks?

If I upgraded my phone, which is obviously what I'm going to have to do if I want another phone, then that will mean I will have to renew my contract.

Right now, I have a $69.99 plan for 1100 shared minutes, plus $9.99 for the 2nd line, then another $9.99 for the 1000 text messages. It's about $105-$110 with taxes. Let's just say I upgraded to the iPhone 3G, would I have to change my plan (upgrade) to get the full use out of the phone? I don't care to use the internet, I can do that at home or work.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Used to have constant $100 - $150 phone bills with Cingular, At&t, Houston Celluaur, PrimeCo when it existed. Cricket, $64 monthly and I NEVER have to look at my phone again to see how many minutes I've been talking. Service wise, I feel they're all about the same, where one drops, one picks up.

CRICKET HAPPY.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:28 AM
10-Second Club

One of my best friends said:
If you travel, cricket sucks.