Hurricane IKE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Pearland we got it pretty good, I have a oak tree sitting in the Front seat of my silverado. On the up side I got my family out safe to San Antonio and the race cars are all fine.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Reznor
this sucks

i'm in spring branch, no power
i'm on my laptop with wireless internet
We stayed in Spring Branch with my folks. We called some neighbors who stayed behind (Shadow Creek Ranch) and they said we lost some of our fence, and had no power, but everything seemed OK. We decided to risk coming back home, to make sure.

We are REMARKABLY lucky.

We lost two sections of fence and have a little debris in the front yard. Other than that, everything is FINE. To top it off, about 30 minutes after we got home, the power came back, and now internet and TV are back.

My parents had a large tree basically snap into three pieces. One piece went into the neighbors' yard, one part crushed part of their garage, and another part fell on their power lines. I'm pretty sure a tornado went through Spring Valley, because if you look up, everything gets to a certain height and then just sort of...stops. The stuff that was higher than that is now on the ground.

Still, nobody in our family was hurt, including all pets.

Like I said, we are REMARKABLY lucky.

-Mike
Old 09-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Teching In

man i hope al lthe F bodys are ok. Man i love my car.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Ok Here's my story, my company evacuated to Dallas, the g/f decided to stay in Pearland and had 8-10 of her friend staying with her. One of them was pregnant... Her water broke at 3 AM... Then about 10 AM today, THERE WAS A BABY DELIVERED IN MY BATHROOM!!!!

EMS got there just as the baby was crowning, Mom and Kid were healthy, and got taken to Texas Childrens.

As far as damage... I lost my fence, and some water was blown under the back door and got the carpet wet in the living room.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone know where I can find any gas in the houston area? I live in Pearland; power is out and we need gas for the generator...........
Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 306 That Could
does anyone know where I can find any gas in the houston area? I live in Pearland; power is out and we need gas for the generator...........
Well... They can't operate without power... And last I heard lots of them had been shut down to encourage people to GTFO...
Old 09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
We stayed in Spring Branch with my folks. We called some neighbors who stayed behind (Shadow Creek Ranch) and they said we lost some of our fence, and had no power, but everything seemed OK. We decided to risk coming back home, to make sure.

We are REMARKABLY lucky.

We lost two sections of fence and have a little debris in the front yard. Other than that, everything is FINE. To top it off, about 30 minutes after we got home, the power came back, and now internet and TV are back.

My parents had a large tree basically snap into three pieces. One piece went into the neighbors' yard, one part crushed part of their garage, and another part fell on their power lines. I'm pretty sure a tornado went through Spring Valley, because if you look up, everything gets to a certain height and then just sort of...stops. The stuff that was higher than that is now on the ground.

Still, nobody in our family was hurt, including all pets.

Like I said, we are REMARKABLY lucky.

-Mike
whereabouts in spring branch? i'm by westview and wirt
Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Reznor
whereabouts in spring branch? i'm by westview and wirt
Westview and Bingle. I grew up in the area, and my folks still live there.

-Mike
Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody keep their cars at crenshaw storage? Wondering how the units held up.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jhug
whoa! VERY close call man! Why wasn't that firebird in the garage? Or did you move it out before the pic?
Too much crap in the garage including engine build parts etc. Hurrican alicia didnt even do this to our house. The back fence is down also. I am wondering how long power is going to take to get back up. I am flying in mon nite. Dad is buying a generator.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

hey guys, just wondering i know most of the damage was around galveston. but just wondering how is the roads and conditions up towards dallas and I35? ill be heading out that way, and just wondering if its all messed up?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm on I35, we got about 1/2" of rain today and a little breeze. I'd say anything near Madisonville south & east got hit pretty good, but I35 got nothing.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

Power is up here in NW Houston at least in my neighborhood. Alot of down trees and fences. That hurricane was unreal. Words can't describe it. I totally underestimated the power of that storm. It was at its worst about 3-5am. Wow.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

power has been out here all day and it friggin sucks.... (on net with cell phone)
Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

As weird as it sounds..........I think my neighborhood and Shadow creek ranch are the only people with power in Pearland..........If you drive thru its pitch black, then lit up for like 2 streets. and then black again. across 518 there is no power still also. We are extremely lucky to have little damage to the house (parts of the fence are gone, some shingles missing).
Couldnt sleep at all last night and the rain was coming soo hard at the front window it was coming through the pieces of glass that made up the window where they are siliconed to the metal frame and middle.

I am making a video of my neighborhood and areas close to me so you guys can see what this thing did almost an hour from galveston. It doesnt compare to the coast but it did enough........I spent all day doing various things the help my family and friends get through this crap.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

We are out of power way up here in Longview. My girlfriend has 3 trees down in her yard. Most of this area is still without power I think. Have a generator but didn't buy extra gas cause I didn't think we would lose power. We will see how long it lasts.

On the web with my cell phone.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm at 290 and Telge. Power came on last night at 7pm. I went out today to find gas. The Shell and Chevron at 290 and Highway 6 are open; they do have gas. The McDonalds on Highway 6 next to the Chevron is open as well; there were about 30 cars in line waiting for some Mickey D's.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.chron.com/news/photogalle...Galveston.html

Crystal Beach is devestated.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 306 That Could
As weird as it sounds..........I think my neighborhood and Shadow creek ranch are the only people with power in Pearland..........If you drive thru its pitch black, then lit up for like 2 streets. and then black again. across 518 there is no power still also. We are extremely lucky to have little damage to the house (parts of the fence are gone, some shingles missing).
Nick (or anyone else in the area), do you know if any grocery stores or gas stations are open in the Pearland/Alvin/Friendswood area? My wife and I are fine, but we have some friends down near Alvin who are running a little short on supplies.

-Mike
Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

My first time back on the int. since the storm .it was awful tore alot of our **** up, no power ,no water, dont know when we will get power . we onlybought enough food for a couple of days that about to run out .....I'M READY TO MVE THE **** OUTOF HERE!!!!

Quick Reply: Hurricane IKE Thread