Guy... need some advice on the "safest" way for me to sign my title to the z28 over..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guy... need some advice on the "safest" way for me to sign my title to the z28 over..

Well I sold my 96 Z28 a couple weeks ago to "1badchicken's" friend "LT1Domin8". My title was currently being sent over to me so I was not able to sign the title over at the time. We instead wrote up a bill of sale to lt1domin8. I guess he came across some financial issues and needed to get rid of it. 1badchicken got it from him to help him out and is currently reselling it. 1badchicken is selling the car tomorrow. And I still have the title. I never sent out the form that says that I sold the car. So what is the best way for me to protect myself in this situation. I dont want the car to be in my name anymore. Who should I sign the title over to? Lt1domin8? 1badchicken? or the guy thats buying the car? What else do I need to do? I just dont want this car to be in my name anymore while other people are cruising around in it. I didnt think much of it when 1badchicken had it bc I know him. But I dont know the guy thats buying the car.
Thanks for any advice.
Patrick.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Well I sold my 96 Z28 a couple weeks ago to "1badchicken's" friend "LT1Domin8". My title was currently being sent over to me so I was not able to sign the title over at the time. We instead wrote up a bill of sale to lt1domin8. I guess he came across some financial issues and needed to get rid of it. 1badchicken got it from him to help him out and is currently reselling it. 1badchicken is selling the car tomorrow. And I still have the title. I never sent out the form that says that I sold the car. So what is the best way for me to protect myself in this situation. I dont want the car to be in my name anymore. Who should I sign the title over to? Lt1domin8? 1badchicken? or the guy thats buying the car? What else do I need to do? I just dont want this car to be in my name anymore while other people are cruising around in it. I didnt think much of it when 1badchicken had it bc I know him. But I dont know the guy thats buying the car.
Thanks for any advice.
Patrick.
just fill out the seller info on the back. and sign. then send it to him. simple as that.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

So just keep all the other info blank? Seems like I can get a raw deal if I do it that way? but maybe im wrong. Do you know what the form is called that I send out to say I no longer own the car?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

There is a form at the DPS office you can fill out..Basically states the car has been sold and your no longer the owner...yada...yada. That way your not on the hook for parking tickets, tolls if the new owner does not register it right away.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

You'll also need to fill out your part of the form 130U and send it along with the title. You can fill in your address, sales price, and sign/date it.

http://www.txdot.gov/forms/vehicle_titles.htm

Without anything in the "purchaser" boxes, it's considered an open title until someone signs it. You can send it to 1badchicken, he can get his buyer to sign in those boxes, and it'd be a done deal.

The only protection you can do for yourself is to get the name of the purchaser, and then send in the VTR-346 form (and 5 bucks or so ) and that notifies TX that you no longer own the car, and you won't be liable for any tickets/tolls/etc on it.

Any date that you put on the title, the buyer has something like 25-30 days to register, and after that, it's a $25/mo penalty. So to be 'nice', don't backdate the title to when you actually got rid of the car.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the top of the title when you get it in the mail is basically the sellers form to send back in to notify them that you are no longer the owner. so at the top of the title it has a folded cerrated edge, fill it out and send it in. just sign your name on the back of the title i think it owuld be easiest to deal just with the new buyer of the car and not bullshit through the previous owners
Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

So to be 'nice', don't backdate the title to when you actually got rid of the car.

if you have a problem with lying abotu it then you can allways change the deal and call it a gift and then he can give you a cash gift or he can buy a set of floor mats from you for whatever you were selling the car for.

100% legal that way
Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

To protect yourself fill out a Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification.

Jon
Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't worry I'll make sure it gets taken care of.... I talked to hughes and he knows the deal. I'll make sure it gets squared away. You got the two forms right and filled them out the best you could with the info.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ProjecT 9
To protect yourself fill out a Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification.

Jon
Yeah that's the form I sent ya
Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

All that I filled out was the vtr346 and the title... Totally forgot about the 130U. Even had a printed copy in my room.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
All that I filled out was the vtr346 and the title... Totally forgot about the 130U. Even had a printed copy in my room.
I'll take care of it, if need be.