Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

what air compressor should i buy for my garage at home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can swing it get the largest tank possible. I have a Champion 2 stage7.5HP 80 gal. and it's still not enough. This bad boy will dim the lights in the house when it starts, but it will still run with a die grinder (air hogs) running.
So what I did was found a used 80 gal tank and will put that next to my 80 gal so I have a nice reserve of air on tap.

Craigslist is the best for used stuff, that way you can go and see what you are buying vs. ebay or online somewhere.

Good luck with your search.
Attached Thumbnails what air compressor should i buy for my garage at home?-dscn2208.jpg  
Old 12-14-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
How are you guys plumbing in your inline air dryers?

mine is like 15 pounds and need to be mounted somewhere but but I'm not sure if i should plumb to it from the tank with hose or pipe? I have the Home Depot 60 gallon jobber, loud as hell!

I had been using a smaller craftsman but upgraded to be able to sand blast and paint.
There is a reluator on the dryer top control oine pressure but I'm not sure how I should plumb up to it? Its a 1/2 npt I think feeding into the dryer and then 1/4 coming out.
I have a 3' x 3/4" rubber hose going from the compressor to the wall (rated for 300 psi, custom from McMaster-Carr), and then start in with copper tubing running along the wall (some people use black pipe instead). This runs across my shop and drops down to a convenient spot - and there I have a shutoff valve, filter, and regulator.

The run of pipe allows the air to cool somewhat before it hits the filter. Most of the water drops out in the filter. I tap my air tools at this point, but I also have another feed that goes through 2 additional filters for painting. I used 3/8" fittings all the way to the hose connection. I use a 3/8" quick connect for paint guns, but use 1/4" quick connect for tools.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent info thank you !!! I knew there was a reason for the copper tubing but wasnt sure. I have it tucked into a corner so I'll do a wrap around on the wall and get some length to the tubing, how long do you think is good for cooling? I'm going to keep the dryer and shutoff all in one spot next to it. (compressor) Or do you its better to locate on the opposite side? Its not like the compressor throws a whole lot of heat but to paint in the future as well. So more than one dryer before the paint gun is recommened?

sorry for the hijack to the OP
Old 12-14-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grats Average_Joe on getting that sweet sale price. I'd say the OP would do well to check for one of those near him.

Thanks Camaroholic for sharing your setup information. I've got a perfect nook in the unfinished part of my basement that I'm seriously thinking about putting a smaller vertical 220v unit in. From the compressor, I would need to plumb about 15-20 feet of hard line through a floor/wall to the garage. I've been kicking around the idea of a remote power switch and drain valve. Otherwise I'd be going through the house and into the basement every time...

Do the inline oilers work well enough? Do they normally have some kind of bypass for when you just want to blow some dirt off something?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-14-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the info guys.

ive quickly realized $300 aint gonna cut it. im looking at $450 max now. i was thinking a 60 gal from home cheapo.

does HP matter? ive seen big tanks with small motors and didnt think that would be a good idea.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
14.5 cfm at 90 psi. best bang for the buck. i challenge you to find a better one for this price anywhere.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92504
remember this post? compare the specs to the one you are looking at. a bigger tank compressor will run less bc of the higher volume of air on hand but if you use an air tool thats very demanding like a sander or grinder once the tank is low it may not be able to keep up, leaving you waiting (not working) for more air. if the compressor has a smaller tank but can deliver more air it doesn't matter if the tank gets low bc it can refill it WHILE you are using the air tool. food for thought.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

this one? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90017+524403
slightly less air output but twice as big of a tank for relatively the same price. could be a good trade off.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw a thread on another board that Lowe's is clearing out their Coleman compressors, because supposedly Coleman declared bankruptcy. It's worth a look; one guy said he got a great deal, another guy checked his and they weren't discounted. But take a look at Lowe's.

I did a complete writeup with pictures and everything on my air system in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...-shop-air.html
Old 12-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a video of the Harbor Freight compressor running. It doesn't sound bad, not much worse than the average car running.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for posting that video! That doesn't sound bad at all. Was it bolted to the floor then? Did you use isolators? Any comments on how hot it gets?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

It is bolted to the floor, I put some 3" square rubber furniture cups under the feet and used 1/2" x 5-1/2" RedHeads to bolt it down. It didn't get very hot, but I only ran it once.

Quick Reply: what air compressor should i buy for my garage at home?