Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Advice on Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advice on Torque Wrench

I was hoping to get some advice on which type of torque wrench is most reliable in lasting use and time between the clicking type and the needle dial type.

Also, what does "micrometer" indicate if it's labeled for a torque wrench? I see this labeled with the ones that have a torque range of 10-80 ft lbs with 3/8" drives rather than the 10-150 ft lbs. with 1/2" drives. Would a wrench with a range of 10-150 ft lbs. be just as suitable for torquing 20 ft lbs. as a micrometer 10-80 ft lbs?

Your thoughts will be much appreciated, and a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snap On !! I have had mine about 8 months -- its killer and anytime i think i should re-calibrate just take it back to the snap-on man and its back to me the next day !
Old 12-25-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

You mean that the Snap On company recalibrates it as part of their warranty or is there a fee? Is it possible for you to recalibrate it yourself?

Can you calibrate a needle dial wrench?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i have heard the needle dials are the most accurate but i don't think they are very practical for using on cars bc of possible awkward positions and such.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

The only time I use a dial type torque wrench is for run on torque numbers. Then I use the click type and add the amount of run on torque that I got from the dial torque wrench.

I only use Snap On stuff, because it's not only one of the best out there but it's easy to have it calibrated.

I work for Honeywell and that is all we buy, because of the quality of the wrenches. I'm sure you can get cheaper ones like Craftsman's but remember what you are using these tools for. A cheap torque wrench on a 5-15k engine is not my way of doing things.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Speaking of cheaper wrenches, is there a dramatic difference in quality/accuracy between Craftsman, Great Neck, Powerbuilt, Dr. Click, Matco Tools, Performance Tools, and Pittsburg brands as far as needle dial wrenches are concerned? Great Neck is the brand that's sold in Autozone for barely over $10, and I'm wondering if they're reliable for at least a few turns because I only need it for one job.

I'm curious since the needle dials are supposed to be inherently accurate.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I work in the aerospace industry, and we have used all types of torque wrenches. We have found even some cheap torque wrenches work well. Generally speaking you want to use the middle third of the gauge for best accuracy. Example, if desired torque is to be 50 ft/lbs. a torque wrench from 0-100 ft./lbs would work. You wouldn't use a 0-350 ft.lb wrench. The most accurate range of the 100 ft.lbs model would be from 33-66 ft.lbs. But believe me for working on cars, unless you are building a 2000 hp race motor, it wont making a bit of difference on what wrench you buy.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have 2 matco tq wrenches and use them on $60,000 super stock hemis and top sportsmen motors all day long.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

I work on racecars for a living I only use snap on tools I wont touch anything else. not because they are the end all be all but their tools look the best and seem to perform the best. Also, you will have a snap on guy at just about every shop out there where as matco, mac, cornwell, sk have limited coverages.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

If you're building a motor, then you probably want to step up to one of the premier companies like Snap On.

For normal stuff like tightening lug nuts, suspension parts, etc I think the Craftsman stuff is just fine. As a word of advice though, DO NOT buy the Craftsman Torque Wrench where you turn the handle to adjust it and then turn a ring to lock it in. The locking ring breaks so easily it is not even funny. 1st one I bought I snapped the ring after about 20-30 uses, 2nd one under warranty I broke after about 5 uses and said screw it.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
If you're building a motor, then you probably want to step up to one of the premier companies like Snap On.

For normal stuff like tightening lug nuts, suspension parts, etc I think the Craftsman stuff is just fine. As a word of advice though, DO NOT buy the Craftsman Torque Wrench where you turn the handle to adjust it and then turn a ring to lock it in. The locking ring breaks so easily it is not even funny. 1st one I bought I snapped the ring after about 20-30 uses, 2nd one under warranty I broke after about 5 uses and said screw it.
**** i just got a craftsman 1/2" for christmas... so far its worked good for my PHB, caliper bolts, and a few other small things.

Quick Reply: Advice on Torque Wrench