Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Mig Welding Technique, and welding Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Mig Welding Technique, and welding Helmet?

What should I be using the "circle" technique, as in arc welding, the "half circle" technique, or the straight line? I've using the "circle" technique for everything. Would like some helpful hints.

Also, are the HF Auto Darkening helmets any good?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm...it all depends when im welding, some times ill do the half moon thing but usally ill keep a steady hand and not move, i have to see how its welding at the time and just make it weld right i guess? and with mig it really likes clean metal...and as far as yout lid, o just dont think any auto tint helmets are good. i dont think any can work as fast as the speed of light...i have always just liked and owned jackson...
Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i have several HF auto dimming helmets and all have been outstanding. the dark clarity doesnt seem to be as good as a jackson helmet i have worn a lot. you seem to be able to see more of the finer details and colors through the jackson.

as far as technique, it depends on what im welding....i like the straight line, the crescent or half moon, and sometimes Z pattern.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use jackson nexgen helmets, and I love them. Very fast darkening time, lots of adjustability, and a big viewing area. Never used a HF helmet, never will.

If you're just getting into mig welding, stick to working on your machine settings and your angle and speed rather than worrying about weaving. If you've got a nice clean fit up you should be able to lay a nice stringer(s) without moving around. Down the road you can mess around with doing different motions and what effect they have on the bead's profile, penetration, strength, ect.

-Josh
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't bother with the HF welding hood either. I personally have owned I dont know how many welding hoods. My favorite hood of all time is the oldschool big window jackson, not auto darkening. The big window really helps in tight spots where your head cannot be in perfect position. I also have a speedglass auto darkening hood and I like it alot too. I would stay away from the really cheap auto hoods.

As far as technique it depends on the joint and if its running flat, horizontal, verticle, or overhead. The machine settings will also determine what technique you need to run. When first starting out, try different techniques and see what works best for you. Try to destroy the weld and see how it holds.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

I for one don't trust the auto dimming helmets. I'd rather weld with my eyes closed than use one.

As for welding technique, I just use straight line or the half moon method. Whatever I'm welding helps me decide.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

I own a commercial steel company and we dont have a single non-auto helmet around. Your best $ spent is to get a normal jackson or equal pipeline view (2"x4") and put in your own solar auto dimmer lense. I buy the solara shade 9. For any of you that would like some great in depth info from trade guys, go to weldingweb.com. And you want a bit of a weave or circle to your bead. Otherwise you dont have good tie in. With wire welding, be sure and monitor your weld edges. If they dont smoothly taper into the work, and seem to have a flaky or curled edge you are running too cold. With a 110v machine, dont run larger than .030 wire. You dont have the amps to push .....035, unless its dual shield or flux core.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im a circle guy myself
Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

HF hoods are among the worst. They are forbidden at my local community college. I don't believe they are ANSI certified.

Take a class, buy a book or video, the technique varies depending on what your welding and the position of the work.

--JMarsa
Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Miller Helmet. Love mine and its good for as low as 10amps Tig.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

If you want to spend the big money, you cant go wrong with a Nexgen, Speedglass, or Optrel. I have a speedglass 9002V and a nexgen, both are shade 9-13 and have all the sensitivity settings. Very nice for tig welding, and especially when you are welding in proximity to someone else.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Just a basic Jackson here....cant flash yourself because its turned off lol. As far as technique, everybody has pretty much stated it..and it honestly is up to what your welding...i work in a steel tank fab shop and my usual mig motion is just a "back & forth" which resembles a circular motion. Just play around with it, see what holds and what dosnt.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nastychevelle
im a circle guy myself
holy undercut......
Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
holy undercut......
How can you tell? the pics a little blurry...
Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

These were done with a circle motion....I turn the voltage down a bit and current up and go a little slower than usual.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jdustu
How can you tell? the pics a little blurry...
if you cant see it you dont know what you are looking at....that is awful....^^^that **** looks like butta...good job.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

These were done with a circle motion....I turn the voltage down a bit and current up and go a little slower than usual.

Checked out your site, looks good man. We starting putting my companies site together almost two years ago and never did finish. www.becometalworks.com
But I can tell that from atleast our interests in metal there is alot in common.

Any of you guys have pics runnin ER-70 uphill? I am going to take some later when I get done with the office stuff this morning.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Checked out your site, looks good man. We starting putting my companies site together almost two years ago and never did finish. www.becometalworks.com
But I can tell that from atleast our interests in metal there is alot in common.

Any of you guys have pics runnin ER-70 uphill? I am going to take some later when I get done with the office stuff this morning.
It doesn't look like much else needs done to yours? It looks good too, very clean and functional. Maybe some more pics and an "about me" and it's set! That was the hardest part of mine! I did a lot of looking at other people's sites....guys go from writing a complete biography to just being pretentious fools. Mostly artists though, so I guess that's par for the course.

I've got 3g tig pics, but no mig right now. I'll be interested to see the pics!

Edit: actually I just found an uphill mig practice t, not the best ever but I snapped a couple pics

Last edited by jdustu; 02-28-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
if you cant see it you dont know what you are looking at....that is awful....^^^that **** looks like butta...good job.
I saw what I thought maybe could be undercut, but it was hard too tell with the quality of pics My eyes aren't that great anyways....
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

It doesn't look like much else needs done to yours? It looks good too, very clean and functional. Maybe some more pics and an "about me" and it's set! That was the hardest part of mine! I did a lot of looking at other people's sites....guys go from writing a complete biography to just being pretentious fools. Mostly artists though, so I guess that's par for the course.

I've got 3g tig pics, but no mig right now. I'll be interested to see the pics!

Edit: actually I just found an uphill mig practice t, not the best ever but I snapped a couple pics

Looks very good man. I have TONS more pics to add to the site, but to be honest we have been so busy, that it has been on the back burner. Its not often that I see some one that has a better hand than mine, and you look like you do. You run much pipe?

Quick Reply: Mig Welding Technique, and welding Helmet?