Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman pro vs. Craftsman standard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Craftsman pro vs. Craftsman standard?

Looking at some combination wrenches and ignition wrenches.

Is there really "that" big of a difference to justify the cost?

Also whats the thought on standard sockets? Are they ok?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

craftsman pro is on the same level as SK
Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SK makes some awesome tools!
For sockets i will just go to Craftsman std. anything else, Snap-on.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
Looking at some combination wrenches and ignition wrenches.

Is there really "that" big of a difference to justify the cost?

Also whats the thought on standard sockets? Are they ok?

For the same size hex the Pro is longer than the standard. Other than the smooth polished body that is about the only difference.

As for comparing the Craftsman Pro to a SK. I like the SK better. The raduis on the edge of the Pro is sharper and cuts into my hand more when really pulling hard. Hard to beat the value of the Craftsman Standards.

You should be happy with the Craftsman Sockets. The new Dual Marking is really nice.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

stick with the standard ones... first, they seem to change their pro line every few years, so if you end up with a replacement or add on, they won't match. Otherwise, at this point I've replaced one or more of almost all my "pro" series craftsman tools out of every set, and none of my regular ones besides the ratchets (admittedly, I replaced those with the new polished low profile ones).
Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Someone affiliated with sears and craftsman told me that the only craftsman pro tools worth buying are the screwdrivers.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

The old, all black ones are pretty nice, but don't expose them to any petroleum based solvent (I dropped one in my parts washer and didn't notice, by the time I pulled it out a half hour later the handle was swolen almost 2x the size it should be, was loose on the shaft and didn't shrink back down or even dry out after over a month). The new ones with the black and red handles and chrome shafts are cheesy.
Attached Thumbnails Craftsman pro vs. Craftsman standard?-dsc_0823s.jpg  
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys can flame me all you want but craftsman ******* blows. Period. I don't care whether it's Craftsman Pro or Craftsman Standard. I have owned many a craftsman branded tools and I've had problems with them all, many leading to me smashing my hand/knuckles into something. I WILL NEVER own any thing craftsman ever again. I just don't have confidence in their stuff. My box is filled with primarily Matco/Snap on now and I've never once had a problem with either brand.

When I first started wrenching years ago I just figured they were all made by the same company basically and that all you were paying for was the name. So I bought ALL craftsman. Never again... Their stuff is pure garbage.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
You guys can flame me all you want but craftsman ******* blows. Period. I don't care whether it's Craftsman Pro or Craftsman Standard. I have owned many a craftsman branded tools and I've had problems with them all, many leading to me smashing my hand/knuckles into something. I WILL NEVER own any thing craftsman ever again. I just don't have confidence in their stuff. My box is filled with primarily Matco/Snap on now and I've never once had a problem with either brand.

When I first started wrenching years ago I just figured they were all made by the same company basically and that all you were paying for was the name. So I bought ALL craftsman. Never again... Their stuff is pure garbage.
Sure everyone would love to use only snap on and matco tools. But for the average person who isnt a mechanic and dont depend on their tools everyday craftsman would work fine unless you use the tools in ways you shouldnt be.

If I was made of money then my box would be full of snap on and matco too. But since I can get an entire set of craftsman sockets and wrenches and 3 ratchets for the price of one rail of snap on sockets I will stick with what I can afford unless it is something where having the good stuff will really make a difference. Such as a spring compressor or something.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMoss
Sure everyone would love to use only snap on and matco tools. But for the average person who isnt a mechanic and dont depend on their tools everyday craftsman would work fine unless you use the tools in ways you shouldnt be.

If I was made of money then my box would be full of snap on and matco too. But since I can get an entire set of craftsman sockets and wrenches and 3 ratchets for the price of one rail of snap on sockets I will stick with what I can afford unless it is something where having the good stuff will really make a difference. Such as a spring compressor or something.
To each their own I guess... Matco and Snap on aren't that unreasonable. They are quite close in comparison with Craftsman's Professional Series. For the quality difference I feel it's quite worth it.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Launching!

To each their own I guess... Matco and Snap on aren't that unreasonable. They are quite close in comparison with Craftsman's Professional Series. For the quality difference I feel it's quite worth it.
My thing is... I am in aviation tech school. So eventually my tools will be my livelyhood. I jsut did a comparison of buying tools locally at sears(little sale going on now)

Priced the tools I need at $300... Snap on kit from the school... $850.

Talking set of
Soldering Iron
SAE combo wrenches
3/8 ratchet
1/4 rathcet
breaker bars for each
handful of adapters/swivels
1 strip of 3/8 drive sockets.

Maybe in the future I will go upgrade, I have alot of other Snap on hand tools for school. But I have been wrenching with craftsman for awhile, no major issues. Maybe later in life I will get a set when I am working but for now? I can't justify an extra $500. Like said I have a bag of snap on tools I agree some are worth it but just can't get over the fact I am getting ratchets for the the price.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, for a lot of the tools that's exactly the case, and that goes for hand tools and power tools. I would argue that unless it's something that you need _right now_ to get the job done, do your research, because there are times where you could get exactly the same or almost exactly the same tool for half the price if you know who's product lines their in.

At this point I've decided that checking out the individual tool has more to do with the quality of the tool than what brand name it has on it, and that being said, I probably have a majority of Craftsman stuff, because that's what i started with, but I have a ton of other stuff ranging from Pittsburgh (Harbor freight), Kobalt, Husky, Craftsman, Snapon, Matco... and tons of stuff in between that I consider good tools that have a place in my collection. I also probably have at least one tool from any one of them that is an absolute piece of junk.

Some notable examples:
- I've had an Ingersol Rand and Snap-on air angle grinder that were both junk, and a Central Pneumatic (Harbor freight) one that I love, is much better then the other 2.
- I have some Ingersol Rand impact sockets that are total junk, and the rest of mine are Pittsburg (HF again) that are every bit as good as any others that I've ever used (never broken one either)
- I have some snap on scrapers and screwdrivers that all have the same handles that are trash
- I have a matco valve spring compressor that is marginal with stock, high mile valve springs, and a Summit Chinese knock off of the Moroso one that is really nice.
- I have a Rigid angle grinder that is literally the same exact one as the Metabo from the same year, it's just case out of a different color plastic and didn't have the gel cushioned screw in side handle, that cost me almost exactly half of what the metabo would have.
- I have a craftsman 2131 impact gun which is identical to the IR 2131 (even the parts blowup in the manual just gives the IR part numbers), where the only difference is that the craftsman one had a chromed front cover and was on sale for $20% off, which the IR never went on sale.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

yeah buy the best tool u can afford...im not brand loyal i mix and match...plenty of craftsman...the only thing i will say for sure on matco and snap on over craftsman is the warranty...craftsman are not ment for profesional use, they can deny a warranty if u come in wearing a mechanics shirt or the like, its happened to my buddies...matco and snap on dont have that problem...i get matco stuff for about 50% off right now so im bout to go to town on buying some matco tools lol....
Old 05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont own too much craftsman. However Husky tools i think are pretty good. Mostly what i have. Home depot sucks on the warranty though unless you have a reciept. I called husky and they mailed me a replacement socket wrench no questions asked though
Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 89IROC
yeah buy the best tool u can afford...im not brand loyal i mix and match...plenty of craftsman...the only thing i will say for sure on matco and snap on over craftsman is the warranty...craftsman are not ment for profesional use, they can deny a warranty if u come in wearing a mechanics shirt or the like, its happened to my buddies...matco and snap on dont have that problem...i get matco stuff for about 50% off right now so im bout to go to town on buying some matco tools lol....
heh, my wife thinks that I "dress up" to go return tools at Sears anyway, since there's always some 16y/o girl at the counter there that manages to somehow give me $50 or more in tools than I walked in with.

OTOH, who am I to argue if becoming a dirty old man is working for me?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default snap -on

i was in the same boat as you were in that i'm becoming a auto tech but most of the major tool companies snap-on mac matco all have student prices which are 50% off list price so you can set your self up right for not alot of money i bought the biggest box in the student catalog 53" and all the metric and standard tools for a little over $5,000 so contact you local snap-on rep and find out abought the student price!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Launching!

I've owned/have owned them all. Buy the best you can afford if you are going to do it professionally. I bet I have 3k in sockets alone, but I rarely ever break one. Do NOT buy a Snap-On 1/2 drive air tool, or a matco for that matter. You can get the comparable product in Ingersoll, and it will outdo most. One of the other techs at the dealer I worked with bought a $350 Matco composite unit that wouldn't take u-bolts off of a Silverado leaf. He was pissed when I walked over with my 7 year old 231 that I gave 160 for and ripped it off there like it needed to happen yesterday. When it comes to your hand tools that you will use routinely, stick with the tool trucks. Buy from the guy that has the best customer service. You'll get sick of going to Sears 3-4 times a week to replace things that you have broken.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Teching In

The Craftsman Pro line of combination wrenches are quite nice, and a great deal longer than the standard 'raised panel' series.

The current Craftsmans Pro wrenches are made by the Danaher line (same company that makes Armstrong and Matco wrenches). They are not identical to the Matco and Armstrong wrenches, but quite close and a good value. Lately, Sears has been offering 40-50% off their wrench sets which puts the C-Pro's at a great deal.

The older Craftsman Pro line was made by SK, and you can see the difference in the design of the wrenches.

With that said, I own Snap On and Cornwell wrenches, which I feel are the best on the market. However, they are quite a bit more pricey.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
My thing is... I am in aviation tech school. So eventually my tools will be my livelyhood. I just did a comparison of buying tools locally at sears(little sale going on now)
Mac is overkill for Aviation, Matco....meh, Snap-On is a joke, they don't own their own patent anymore and there is a company promoted by Goodyear under the name of Tekton that picked up Snap-On's tool design....for less than half the price. Tekton is only sold on Amazon.com.

I too am an Aircraft Mechanic. Stay away from as much Craftsman as you can, although the Mach Series ratcheting wrenches are very nice for hydraulic lines and oxygen bottles. Get screwdrivers like Snap-On....they have the hex nut on the shank just below the handle, you can grip a wrench onto. Gear wrenches you will need, and extra long box ends are a must for props. All these are sold by Tekton. Get the MaxTorque Series. Tekton also has Snap-On's socket design. Craftsman sockets are great to grind down the tips when you need a thin walled socket.

For a ratchet, I use the Crescent brand because it slips over extra long studs. I do have a complete set of Tekton sockets/ratchets, but find myself using that Crescent Ratchet the most. Its also extremely thin.

I would buy as many tools from Amazon or local store as you can, because those tool trucks just don't hang out as much in the Aviation world as they do auto shops, unless you spend thousands of dollars or more. That becomes an issue when you have to replace broken tools. I can have a new tool in my box from Amazon within 2 days as a Prime Member. Off the tool truck, you get a replacement whenever they decide to show back up....and that is at bare minimum a week.

Aircraft Spruce is also a great place to buy Aviation tools, along with Harbor Freight. GET THE CHAMPION OIL FILTER TORQUE WRENCH !!!!!

We use a special socket for Spark Plugs, Matco or Snap-On has that, but the only thing I buy from them...well, maybe a tire pressure gauge or pick tools.

Milbar for safety wire pliers, Snap-On charges way too much for theirs and they are not any better in quality.

Tekton, Crescent, Channel Lock, Irwin, Milbar, Champion, Makita, and Campbell Hausfeldt are all good brands bud. If you are doing heavy line maintenance, I would probably go with something better than Campbell Hausfeldt though....Chicago Pneumatic.

Sams Club has some great toolboxes, I'd never pay 10k for a toolbox that isn't rolling around the hangar every hour or two, you just don't need that type of quality. Especially if your toolbox is going to be parked in one spot most of the time. I got a 72" toolbox from Sams Club at 400 bucks. Way better than 10k and it holds up just as good as the Mac or Snap-On boxes.

Quick Reply: Craftsman pro vs. Craftsman standard?