Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

recommend me an electric angle grinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommend me an electric angle grinder

I need an angle grinder to cut the fender wells and frame horns off my Trans-am.

What angle grinder will be sufficient for this (and future) projects. I am looking for a good tool for the DIYer.

I was thinking Dewalt or maybe craftsman.... But what size and how many amps/HP.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Teching In

I always recommend an angle grinder with atleast 10+ amps. Dewalts are pretty decent, but if you're looking for a great one (that will last forever) you should look into Metabo. Metabo is in my opinion the best manufacturer for power tools, but as such they do carry a heavier price tag than others.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

What size is recommended for automotive?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the market for one also. I'm torn between DeWalt or Milwaulkee 4 1/2-5". Either way I think they are both a good product. I have had my Makita for many years now and now it's time for a new one. I like the paddle on the DeWalt though. Just my .02¢
Old 05-29-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a few and find it's the little things that
make serious grinding a pain in the ***. Like the
switch, my DeWalt 4-1/2" has one of those slide-
n-lock, easy-off switches that no longer holds in
position when the tool starts to vibrate. Plain old
slide switch, like comes on the $14.99 Harbor
Freight one I keep on the welding bench, is a lot
less fatiguing (try to hold a small switch in position
for 10 minutes at a time wearing welding gloves?).

Got a nice Ryobi the other month with a swivel
rear handle and a trigger style switch with lock
button.

I say just get one or three of the HF 4-1/2" when
on sale, which is about every other flyer, and call
it a consumable. Hell, the thing costs less than
the grinding wheels you'll run through before the
gearbox wears out.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will the HF ones get the job done? Are they powerful enough?

Which one of these would yall recommend?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...104&pricetype=
Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Teching In

I've used the HF angle grinders, and they're junk (IMO).

Sears has been offering lots of great deals lately, and I was able to get a Dewalt 10amp one for ~$40+tax a few months back. I'd hold out and buy something a little 'better' than those HF ones.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 AM
9 Second Club

i have milwaukee dewalt and HF ones. depending on application i have certain brands that i like better than others. for cutting exhaust tubing i use the HF one. and tell you the truth it gets used more than any grinder i have. for general grinding and extended use i have been using the dewalt. the milwaukee i keep a stone on it but not that thrilled about it.

i would suggest seeing how they fit in your hand. for grinding i like the paddle switch. for cutting i like a regualr on off switch. easier to control.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:40 AM
FormerVendor

For cutting look no further than this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/METABO-6-ANGLE-G...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-New-0-40-X-7-...QQcmdZViewItem

I know it seems expensive for just a "grinder" but you are buying the absolute best! It will be the last grinder you will ever buy!

Also, notice the 9K RPM the Metabo puts out VS. the 11K the harbor freight puts out.
I dont think there is a slicing disc rated for 11K... You've probably never seen a cutting disc fly apart!
I wouldnt suggest using anything over 9K for cutting applications.

Do it right, do it once! Go Metabo.

Last edited by Derek @ EDO; 05-31-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
For cutting look no further than this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/METABO-6-ANGLE-G...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-New-0-40-X-7-...QQcmdZViewItem

I know it seems expensive for just a "grinder" but you are buying the absolute best! It will be the last grinder you will ever buy!

Also, notice the 9K RPM the Metabo puts out VS. the 11K the harbor freight puts out.
I dont think there is a slicing disc rated for 11K... You've probably never seen a cutting disc fly apart!
I wouldnt suggest using anything over 9K for cutting applications.

Do it right, do it once! Go Metabo.
Metabo are the best, Being a weldor, I spent a long time going through grinders untill I found this out... They are nearly indestructible. Dewalts are hit or miss, milwaukee's are slightly better.... nothing like the metabo though...
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Metabo all the way. I used dewalts before I started at my machine shop. All we have are shop supplied metabo's there and I will never even consider dewalt again. a 4" grinder should suffice, and if you have an air compressor, keep an air grinder around with some HSS reamer bits for the smaller more detailed things
Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've used dozens of different grinders and own a few.... 4 and 4.5" are the most common, a few years ago a few of them tried 5" and it seems like they came and went, Metabo is trying 6" now, which I don't get the point of. If you need something more serious than a 4.5" than I don't really see why you wouldn't put a 7"wheel in a proper 7 or 9" grinder, of course, they're a totally different, much more heavy duty beast.

The 4 and 4.5" ones can do some serious cutting, but with a .040" thick blade in them can still cut with almost surgical precision. I wouldn't waste my time on a 4", you'll be surprised how much more you can do with the 4.5" without any extra bulk.

I currently have this rigid:
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...e-grinder.aspx
which is identical to the metabo 4.5" grinder, it was actually made by metabo for them.... sweet grinder (and half the price... the only thing that you don't get is metabo's cool green color and gel handle). Good size, good ergonomics, great power...

I've had this HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...104&pricetype=
or at least one that looks exactly like it for over 10years now... it's been used hard and constantly, the only thing wrong with it I caused myself: I needed a stationary grinder and clamped the head of it in my vise, overtighened it and cracked the cast head/gearbox. It still works but gets noisy if I press on it hard enough to flex the head at the crack. Doesn't have the power of the rigid/metabo, but when it's not heavily loaded it really cuts well/fast. Ergonomic wise, it doesn't look much like the rigid one but they are very similar, this one is just a little smaller in your hands (something to consider if you have small hands, mine are large, they don't fit in most XL or XXL work gloves)

I also have this HF grinder:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95578
I bought it as a replacement for the other one when I cracked it, but ended up still using the other. This one is a lot like the other HF one, but less power... the first one that I listed is on sale for $14.99 right now, and I'd buy that one first if I needed another.

the makita grinders are nice, they're a lot like the rigid ones, a friend of mine has both the 4" and the 4.5", they're basically the same with a different guard, and I made most of the parts for an oddball engine swap with them, probably use them more than my own during that time period. I'd put them between my rigid and my orange HF one. they don't have the power of the Rigid, but close.

I HATE the Dewalts. There ergonomics are all wrong. They're fine for grinding but annoying/awful with a cutting wheel. For that matter, I hate paddle switches on these things. If you end up using them a lot for cutting you'll wonder what the heck someone was thinking putting a paddle switch on one of these.

Milwaukee... almost all my "good" power tools are Milwaukee, I usually swear by them. My wife bought me one of theirs as a gift when the current line came out. I was thrilled to get it till I tried to use it. Good power, same as the rigid/metabo, but the thing is huge... Like I've already said, I have BIG hands, they're more like paws in build and large enough that I can palm a basketball easily, and I couldn't hold on to it comfortably. I don't know what this thing is sized for, but I don't know who is going to hold this thing around it's barrel comfortably. I ended up returning it and getting the rigid.

I wouldn't want to give up my rigid, but I probably wouldn't have spent the money on it if it wasn't a gift. I like my orange HF grinder... it does what I need it to do, it's been reliable with reasonable care. Really, the actual design has a bigger impact on my thoughts than anything else:
- no paddle switches if you're going to be cutting with it. Just get a normal, locking switch
- in general, I like the 11K rpm ones better than the 9K rpm ones... I get the impression that the 9K ones are geared steeper than the 11K ones, so they seem to have more torque, but the faster moving wheel slices through smoother and faster unless you really load them down
- Hold the thing in your hands and unless you're just going to use it for grinding, go through the motions of cutting with it... like I said, I generally love Milwaukee tools and their grinder just didn't work for me even though it had plenty of power, speed...it was just the wrong shape.
- again, if you plan on cutting with it, a smaller head/gearbox makes it more usable. Also, some sort of shape that lends itself to being held with your second hand or guided with it for some of those surgical cuts...
- If you intend to do some cutting get some decent .040" thick cutting wheels... it's surprising how much difference a little bit of wheel thickness makes. Dewalt, hilti... they all seem to make a good .040" thick wheel

Last edited by Silverback; 06-03-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Teching In

I have an older model DeWalt (DW402 I believe) that seems to be sturdier than the current models.

It's beefier with 3 positions for the screw-in handlee, versus 2 for the new ones.

Has served me well for years now...

I also agree for medium duty get the 4 1/2" model... More accessories available. If you need a serious big grinder, go for a 7" model. I don't like non-standard sized ones, lots more stuff out there for a 4.5" v/s a 4", and 7" v/s a 6".

I prefer paddle switches or triggers, so if you lose your grip it can't stay locked on accidentally. This is a personal preference, as seen in Silverbacks reply.

As to specifics, I'd go and try and hold (or better yet, use) one to see how it fits your hands and is comfortable...
Old 06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies. I couldn't find the metabo at HF, lowes, or HD. I went to the local HD to look at them and ended up getting a 4 1/2 inch 10amp dewalt. It was on-sale at home depot for like $45 and I figured it would do the trick.

It worked nicely for my limited purposes and I do not regret the purchase.

At the end of the day, I needed a grinder and didn't want to order the metabo over the internet and have to wait for shipping and whatnot. I hope this dewalt lasts for a while, but if not it was only $45....

Do these things always go through cutoff wheels so fast? I went through 2 on each framehorn.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Don't press too hard using cutoffs, let the RPM do the work and don't let them get bound up. The Grinder will tear them apart if they start to bind.

Wear safety glasses and even a face shield, those shards can come off FAST.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Don't press too hard using cutoffs, let the RPM do the work and don't let them get bound up. The Grinder will tear them apart if they start to bind.

Wear safety glasses and even a face shield, those shards can come off FAST.
I had a piece embed itself in my thigh once about 3 yrs ago, not fun...
Old 06-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

metabo is hands down the best grinder i'm an ironworker and those are the ones we use at work-we are hard on the grinders and they last forever
Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 10 amp Dewalt. It has been abused and lasted forever but I always dred using it becuase it is uncomfortable for me. I love Milwaulkee for the money. sure there is better stuff, I liked Hilti at one point but for casual use, or when it will not pay for itself I go Milwaulkee
Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been doing a lot of metal fab the last few years and a couple things I've learned ...

I would prefer to have four $25 grinders than one $100 grinder. The metal dust generated will lunch ANY grinder eventually.

And the more powerful the grinder, the more of a hazard it becomes. Like discussed above, you WILL bind the disc. I would prefer it stop the disc as opposed to biting and trying to pull the grinder out of my hand.

Finally, cheap cut-off and grinding discs are dangerous. A cheap disc will shread if you get it bound up too much. They also are not balanced very well, a real issue at 10K rpms. Get walther discs and wheels. They last 10 times as long and the binding of the grit material is far superior.

YVMV ... HTH
Old 06-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 12 amp Milwaukee 4 1/2" and I love it. I agree with the comment above about the discs. Don't go cheap or generic on the cutoff discs.

Quick Reply: recommend me an electric angle grinder