Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Best non-auto darkening helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best non-auto darkening helmet?

I searched around and wasn't able to find much on welding helmets except for the auto darkening ones. I've used an auto darkening helmet before and I really liked it. A few times it messed up and didn't work and I didn't like that part (borrowed a friends and it was an older model)

My brother use to weld on a production line and the big tip he gave me was to have plenty of light and then using a regular helmet isn't so bad.

Since I'm just a hobbist I've decided to try and find a comfotable regular welding helmet with a large viewing area and just get more bright lights and just light the heck out of what I'll be welding.

With that said, any suggestions on helmets to get?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a great auto-darkening one. it works every time(unless i forget to hit the button, lol) i would go to ebay.

if you can find one. let me know. i got about 4 or 5 laying around. old stuff. stuff we dont use anymore at our shop
Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Teching In

a jackson with a auto lense. cheap and good
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

look at the jackson welding helmets. I have 3 different welding hoods, and my non auto darkening jackson is my favorite. It has a huge viewing area and with their super visability lense everything is alot clearer.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 99345hp
look at the jackson welding helmets. I have 3 different welding hoods, and my non auto darkening jackson is my favorite. It has a huge viewing area and with their super visability lense everything is alot clearer.
i will agree on jackson clarity. I used their auto model and it was insane all the colors in the weld you could see. People hate it but i use a HF auto helmet whenever i weld bc they have performed flawlessly for me. I have seen more expensive ones fail to dim. The HF arent near as clear though.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Jackson Shadow.... huge viewing lens good quality and good price... Also FWIW If you buy an auto helmet spend the extra money and get a top quality unit you may be jusy a hobby welder but you use your eyes everyday... I Have a Jackson and its awesome... It was close to 500 bucks... bummer part was I had to buy a normal helmet in addition because the machines we were using(Dynasty 200) didnt always trip the helmet and you go the old flash treatment.... when doing certian types of welding...
Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had an auto dark helmet go light on me once. And that was with low Tig welding. Then upgraded to Miller's helmets. Love them! Spend the extra cash and get one!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:50 AM
12 Second Club

i love my miller auto. i also love my jackson non auto!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet, thanks for the respones guys.

Yeah, don't want to damage my eyes any and since I don't weld that often a good regular helmet with plenty of light will be just fine for me.

Will look into the Jackson regular helmets, they sound nice!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that model of Jackson helmet the Shadow one that the other guy speaks of? Also, is the super visability lense one you have to buy seperatly?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
i got a great auto-darkening one. it works every time(unless i forget to hit the button, lol) i would go to ebay.

if you can find one. let me know. i got about 4 or 5 laying around. old stuff. stuff we dont use anymore at our shop
Are any of those helmets you don't use anymore Jackson helmets by chance?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Also FWIW If you buy an auto helmet spend the extra money and get a top quality unit you may be jusy a hobby welder but you use your eyes everyday
Yeah, I don't want to drop $300 to $500 on a welding helmet I won't use much. Looking into buying tuning software with a wideband O2 instead with that money but I hear you, buying good quality tools when it comes to protecting my eyes I totally am on the same page as you.

Speaking of that, for regular MIG welding, a shade 10 lense is what I need right?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

I have about 6-7 hoods, from a jackson, to an older speedglass and some other no namers, but my Miller digital big window elite is my favorite, hands down...
Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Just keep in mind that with a decent auto you are fully protected even when you get flashed.

A lot of people like the "gold" lenses in part because they reflect light back onto your work. If you find a large widow hood you like, the lens is replacable so you can change it if you want to try something else.

Ryph
Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is a picture of the jackson hood I have. Its a shadow HSL 100.

I got the super visibility lense where I used to work so im not sure where to buy one. I would think you could find them on the internet somewhere. I dont think its a jackson specific thing, you just have to buy one that is 4 1/2 x 5 1/4. The filter lense that comes with the hood is still good.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

I got the super visibility lense where I used to work so im not sure where to buy one. I would think you could find them on the internet somewhere. I dont think its a jackson specific thing, you just have to buy one that is 4 1/2 x 5 1/4. The filter lense that comes with the hood is still good.
Dude my First helmet was that exact one.... It somehow ended up under the stomp shear... I miss it....
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up on that. Just ordered one for $32 shipped, hope that's a good price. I also like how it's got more protection for my neck for I got burned from some sparks flying up the last time I was welding.

Also hoping the lense is higher quality then the cheap helmet I currently am using. I recall back in ag class in HS the lense allowed me to see more of the welding but then again, I was stick welding back then so maybe that's why.

Quick Reply: Best non-auto darkening helmet?