Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Milling Machine.... who has one and what kind

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milling Machine.... who has one and what kind

Well my dad wants a milling machine and I'd like your input on what brand to buy. Resonable price etc. My grampa and dad both have lathes and my gramps has a milling machine, but my dad wants his own. They both make small engines from them etc... No cnc stuff either... Its pretty amazing on what they make, and what they can make... just for the fun of it. Just let me know what kind you have, or would get if you could get one. Bench or free standing.
Any info you have, or could give would be appreciated greatly.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up Bridgeport

A friend of mine owned a used Bridgeport. The machine was about 15 years old when he bought it. I used it a lot, mostly for engine and head work.
You're gonna need 3-phase power for it.

Bridgeport is basically the Snap-On of Milling machines.
I think he paid $5000. You can get a new Chinese (Enco) milling machine for the same price but I think you'd be better off with a used Bridgeport.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're WAY better off with a used Bridgeport. Even a brand new Enco is crap compared to a decent 15-20 year old Bridgeport. You can run them off of single phase with a phase converter, but it's not as efficient. You'll also want a "J" head machine, those are the standard (like the one pictured above). There are two styles of J-head, variable speed and pully. The variable speed head will give you greater and easier control over spindle speed, but the rubber band machines are ususally a little cheaper and less likely to break. I'd take either without a complaint.

If possible, get one with the large table (there are 3 sizes, I think it's 52, 45, 42 or something). Also, chrome plated ways. Finding one with a good Digital Read Out (DRO) can be a value, since DRO's are a few grand new.

Check out www.machinery-values.com if you want to get an idea on prices. They deal with used machine tools.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a brand new Enco is crap compared to a decent 15-20 year old Bridgeport
Let me give the other side of the argument on that. Most 15-20 yr old Bridgeports are all worn out: that's why they are on the market. A new Chinese machine (Enco) isn't worn out and can be an excellent value.

If you can get a re-furbished machine then the used Bidgeport may be the way to go ... but of course that costs more than a worn out version.

My Enco does everything I've asked it to do, and the price was right. Check out http://www.use-enco.com.

John Parsons
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I did say "decent 15-20 year old Bridgeport"

I guess after working in machine shops so long, you just can't match the "feel" of a Bridgeport. They are very natural feeling machines. I've used Bridgeports that were 40 and 50 years old and I'd still used them over most of the newer Enco and similar brands.

Also the Bridgeports use a much higher quality casting, and I've found they can take heavier cuts too.

Just my observations
Old 12-12-2003, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peace. I'd love to have a well maintained 15 yr old Bridgeport with a DRO. Sigh. Too much money.

My next milling exercise will be making engine accessory brackets from 6061 aluminum. My li'l Enco will do 'em just fine.

jp
Old 12-12-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Talked to him today... Im thinking he wants something smaller than that.... I guess kinda like a mini mill or something...
Old 12-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Adkoonerstrator

What about these? Not monsters or meant for major work but, nice looking little toys.

http://www.smithy.com/MWdefault.htm

Quick Reply: Milling Machine.... who has one and what kind