Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Budget MIG Welder suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to pick one bottle, go straight argon.
Ar75 will leave **** on stainless and is useless on
aluminum. Plus lower penetration on sheet metal is
your friend, if you're not so highly skilled.

220 wiring gets you more power with less gauge. I
got a roll of 10-3, dryer plug and dryer socket (my
shed I wired up with dryer plug previously; range
fixtures are 40A and dryer are 30A generally).

Recycling centers that buy metal, are great places
to look for fat wire.

Last edited by jimmyblue; 12-15-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue

Recycling centers that buy metal, are great places
to look for fat wire.
I never thought of that. Copper has gotten expensive. I think they're getting over $2.50 per pound for the stuff. I'll have to check today to see if they have any bulk wire.

Good lookin out!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much more value would you guys say a continuously variable welder is compared to tap controls.

I found a new in box lincoln electric 140c for 550 on craigslist. I dont think I'de buy it for that but if hes willing to negotiate I think I'de buy it. I was planning on buying a new hobart handler 140 from northern tool with free shipping and a cart for 480 until this came up. I've heard others like the continuously variable controls.. I really dont know. I'm pretty simple.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a lincoln 180 pro from lowes a month ago. They negotiated with me and i got it for 600. Its a great little welder and works great for what it is. I couldnt be happier with it.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

I myself have a Sears Craftsman 110v welder that I use here at the house. I've used it for many projects without kicking a breaker. I've been using the flux-core wire with it and no problems. For what I paid for it, I can't complain for it has worked well. I also use Miller welders at work, mig and tig and they work great. But If your looking learn and not spend alot, get the Sears as it will also let you weld with gas or no gas. Also buy an auto-darkening helmet. This will make learning welding alot easier. Also stay away from harbor freight brand welders, they are junk.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

After talking to multiple experienced guys it just sounds like outside of sheetmetal any 110v unit doesnt really get the job done adequatly. Basically they were saying a 110v welder pretty much consumes the same amount of power as a good hair dryer in terms of watts so they are good but theres inherent limitations to it.

So I'm lookin at 220v units and a long extension cord to reach the dryer.

I would like to get the handler 187 but the Lincoln Electric 180 HDs are so cheap on ebay that they are pretty hard to beat even though I know thats kinda the hobbyist lowest end model that lincoln makes.

That bein said I've heard of quite a few happy people with the older LE175hd units which are just the last generation of the 180s
Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Owing to the lack of gas cooling, flux cored wire
penetrates better for the same volts*amps then
MIG. I used it for fixing my K-member and it dug in
pretty well. This makes flux cored a poorer choice
for body panel work (that, and the filth) but you
can run flux cored wire through a MIG and get that
much more penetration.

Plus, it being flux cored, I was able to remove the
joke "nozzle" and wrap the stinger in a few turns
of fiberglass electrical tape, and weld up inside
some pretty tight spaces.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mig welding experience started out with my lincoln 135amp with a bottle of 75/25 argon/c02. That didn't last long as the bottle was only 20cf (like 30 minutes). I just switched it to run some flux cored wire and I've been rocking that for the last few months. At some point last week I decided to go trade in my bottle for a larger one as I felt that my welds looked much cleaner with gas. I got an 80cf bottle, hooked it all back up, and admired how clean my welding looked It seems like the machine settings are a little more forgiving when using flux cored wire, but they can't hold a candle to a mig weld, as long as the machine is setup perfectly for the job.

If you do decide to go with gas, shop around. Call stores that aren't listed as welding stores, but instead industrial or medical gas stores. I was getting quotes of like $250 for an 80cf bottle, plus like $25 to fill it. I picked one up for $150 filled. It pays to shop around
Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Still havent bought a welder but got a helmet and gloves for christmas.

Just recently found a NIB lincoln electric 175 HD weld pack for 350$. And my dad and I are gonna probably wire the garage for 220. He did it before when he wired in the electric range in the kitchen which is 50amp, so a simple 30 amp circuit should be no problem.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Got a Lincoln Electric 175hd mig pack today New in box for 350$ from a guy on craigslist. I wired up 240v from the dryer and started doing fluxcore welding tonight.

Other than my very poor welding and birdnesting my first roll a couple times. I have some immediate concerns
I kept the garage door wide open but still breathed a lot of fumes.
which made me feel a little weird honestly.

And 2 I have an auto darkening helmet which I set almost as dark as it will go, 12 out of a range of 9-13 and I welded with that even though it suggested a 10 for mig welding I wanted to be safe but still dont feel safe after messing around out there for about an hour I felt my vision was blurry and still is. Its deff not 100% right now and I'm a little concerned. I'm not seeing obvious spots or anything but more just general blurryness.

Hope I didnt give myself flash burn my first time out. I wore a black shirt just in cas and a couple times even with the helmet all the way down I could see the welding flash bouncing off my shirt slightly but would try to keep my chin down to block it out but couldent keep 100% out all the time. Maybe my eyes just arent used to it yet.

Concerning hopefully I dont wake up tonight with sand feeling in my eyes. I'll report back as I go
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

More than likely if you were breathing a lot of fumes, that could be the cause of your blurred vision.

Manganese and other bad chemicals that are released while welding can wreak havoc on you. Best to set up a fan or something so you have some positive airflow next time.

Just keep practicing and keep the area well ventilated. You should be fine with your helmet. I have mine set at 9 I believe for MIG. Works fine for me, though I like a little more light to come through so I can watch my "puddle" as Im welding.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

3m sells a welding fumes mask for about $25. Remember to keep the area well ventilated. Be very careful welding metal with coatings on things like nuts, bolts and other hardware. Some fumes are fatal.

Ryph
Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Got some pics from today. With the shielding gas I seem to be able see the puddle A LOT better (is there a puddle with flux core because I couldent see it) and manipulate it to do what I want.

Only thing is I thought a good weld was supposed to go through the material somewhat and deform the back side. With shielding gas I cant seem to really burn through the material. Hell I turned up the voltage pretty high and just made a blob on the 16 ga sheet metal and tried to keep heating up and make it burn through and the weld just piled up with no deformation on the back side, no matter how long I held it in one place. I could make deep penetrating welds with the flux that showed through as much on the otherside as the top side.

The machine works perfect though. I had my first feeding issue and had to clean it out and waste some wire, otherwise it works perfect. Would like some feedback on the welds though

The setup

(not a scratch on the machine absolutly never used, the plastic was still on it when I got it)

Bunch of messing around

Back side

These were the first 2 welds I made with the shielding gas and solid wire. I was pretty happy with them.

I know this looks like buger snot but I'm proud of it because I tried to weld 2 tubes together last night with flux core and unless they were literally touching I couldent build up and material to make up the gap between the 2 tubes where they dont fit perfectly. There was actually a 1/4" gap between the material at this point and I actually was able to move the puddle around and do a zig zag/ upside down u motion to build up material between the tubes and bridge the gap. Not the prettiest but remember I was welding over the crappy flux snot bubbles from last night. This made me very happy. I could actually use a weld like this for exhaust work.Although its a bit ugly.

The 10/3 extension cord I made running from the dyrer room. Looks great

THe solid core wire is a **** load nicer no smoke and less spatter but as you can see still a bit, I'm sure mostly because I didnt clean the metal very well. I dont feel weird after welding with this stuff although I think breathing the fumes still has a similar effect to an inhalent or drinkin a beer. Its single digit outside with the 50 mph windchil so you can bet I'm not openeing the garage door other than airing things out.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Get some 3M dust masks, you'll be surprised at how much **** you breath in. Whenever I weld for along period of time I where one. Its brown when I'm down welding. Go by what settings your welder has for the gauge of metal your welding. Also check out millerwelds.com for how to's on welding. Do small circles or back and fourth when welding rather then pulling or dragging in a straight line.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

figured out a couple issues. One I still had the polarity set for flux core and I wasnt keeping the nozzle close enough to the surface which widens and flattens the weld, once I did I got more penetration and I'm even burning through now.

I am actually getting things hot enough that I'll start a bead and it wont have enough penetration and then it will just burn through there doesnt seem to be a good happy medium sometimes.

The bad side of keeping the nozzle so close is that now its burning back several times and clogging the system up which creates a feeding issue. Thats happened about half a dozen times today, so maybe I need to back up a bit.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Some more pics

The woman got me these. They seem to work pretty well

I think I'm gettin a bit better

The one in the middle towards the bottom I think are the best. I was trying to immitate the look of tig welding. I was also trying out a bunch of different motions here and had some more feeding issues so still fighting that but I'm MUCH better at fixing it now so not really too much of a bother as before.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Buy some nozzle dip
Old 03-24-2022, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 563 Likes on 362 Posts

My pal Jody:

(I don't actually know Jody, I just watch his videos)

Quick Reply: Budget MIG Welder suggestions