Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Do you guys use the inline oilers and regulators on your air hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do you guys use the inline oilers and regulators on your air hoses?

I had never heard of this until I bought my hose today but it says "for optimal results" get an inline oiler,, filter,, and regulator. Is this stuff really needed?
Old 12-20-2003, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you use your air tools a lot there's no need for an in line oiler, just give your air tools a few drops of air tool oil when needed. A moister separator filter is a good idea, this can help prevent air tool damage. The use of a in line air regulator will help you get the correct amount of air you need at the tool.

Al
Old 12-21-2003, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely use a regulator.

A seperator is a good idea.

An oiler is OK, if you only use shop air for tools. If you use it to blow stuff off, it will leave an oil film.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys so a regulator and a seperator it is.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All I'm using on mine is a regulator. I can't tell you the last time my air tools saw oil :umm:
Old 12-27-2003, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldn't get the oiler...especially if you use the air to blow stuff of or paint or anything like that..just put a few drops in your tools before hand and you will be set..i would use the drier and regulator though
Old 12-27-2003, 08:42 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't most air compressors come with an onboard regulator? I know my sears model did and it's certainly not the most expensive (30 gallon upright, 150max psi, $300).

I just bought a large bottle of oil and put 2-3 drops of oil in the end and then hit the trigger a couple times.... good to go...

One quick tip that you didn't mention but is very important.... empty your tank through the valve on the bottom after use.... you'll be very surprised how much water is in the tank. Its good preventative maintenance.

EDIT: I also try and oil them right before I put them away. That way any water that may be inside won't stay there. I don't use mine that often, so its good preventative maintenance as well.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 12-27-2003 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added some additional comments
Old 12-27-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah the compressor did come with a regulator but with all my tools and even my hose reel it said to use an inline one. I didnt understand it myself but I just got an inline one so I'll soon know if there is a difference between the onboard one and the inline one. TY for all the input. I'll make sure and put a couple of drops of oil in my tools.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a regulator then a lead line that goes to a moisture seperator. Then the line T-'s off, one to a non-oiled line, the other to my line oiler and out to my tool hose..

It's a decent setup, and allows me to use my air tools, and also be able to shoot some paint now and again on the same setup... I just have to keep the painting hose (no oil in it EVER) seperat from the tool hose. THe best solution I found for that was there are two different quick disconnect fittings styles available. That way the painting hose isn't interchangeable to with the oiled part of my line, or my air tools....

Now if only I can find a way to make my tank drain easier to deal with..... Maybe I'll do that when the new compressor is pruchased...
Old 01-04-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

there was about a 5psi difference between my onboard regulator and my inline. Just figured I'd post this incase anybody ever does a search.

Quick Reply: Do you guys use the inline oilers and regulators on your air hoses?