Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What sandblaster and compressor size

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sandblaster and compressor size

I want to sand blast a sand rail i have that has about 3 coats of farm paint on it. Can this be done with a 80 gallon compressor? Im new to this im getting ready to buy a compressor and dont want to buy one thats too small. Also do you guys prefer a certain brand or type of sand blaster? Thank you
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

I've done a couple of these, and you are signing up for a very nasty job.

First, the size of the tank doesn't make any difference - you want CFM, preferably more than 10 CFM at 90 PSI. You are going to be in the 8-10 HP compressor range, at least.

You can buy some inexpensive sand blasters from Harbor Freight. Get the type where you pour the sand in a tank and the tank gets pressurized to force the sand into the nozzle. You'll fight a suction type sandblaster the whole time you are using it trying to get the sand to flow.

My experience is that it is much easier to rent a gas powered sandblaster if you are committed to doing it yourself. Lots of CFM and pressure and it gets the job done. The last one I did took me about 5-6 hours (been left outside to rust for a couple of years)

Here is a few alternate ideas if you're interested-

-paint or powder coat comes off a lot easier if it is burnt first. Use one of those torches that connects to a five gallon propane tank that they use for burning weeds and burn the paint first before you sandblast - it goes a lot quicker.

-almost all powder coat places have their own sand blasting facility or contract their sand blasting to somebody. Take it to a powder coater and have them do it.

-My experience is that by the time that I get all the materials and equipment, spend the time getting ready and doing the job, I could have just had it powdercoated. If you are going to put any kind of quality etch primer, primer and top coat on yourself, powdercoating is cheaper.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Just went thru this w/ my 55.
New Kobalt 80 gal, 15cfm@125psi. Compressor lasted about 30 mins.
Did some research....Most "affordable" compressors are waaaay short on capability to keep up w/ a blaster. A replacement in the "industrial" strength, to run my 100# pressure pot, was well over $2500. [And that was at a minimum.] If you don't intend doing a considerable amt of blasting, do as DPD said... Hire it out! Your wallet, your lungs, and your neighbors will thank you!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8-10 HP to get 10 cfm? I don't think so lol.
My backup compressor in my shop is just a craftsman 60 gallon 3.x HP and it puts out 10.2 cfm at 90PSI. My primary compressor is an industrial Eaton 80 gallon that makes 5 HP and puts out 20 CFM at 90 PSI. This is sufficient for my purposes. I blast in a cabinet at around 70 PSI only, using a 15 CFM nozzle. I deal with alot of aluminum so don't want to get crazy on it.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sandblasting isn't really the way to go for things that
can be done another way (like rotary media). Or
chemical stripper. Tough, intact paint can give sand
a real fight; it works better on dry and brittle (like
rust).

But, there are things besides the compressor that
make a big difference. Number one is the air plumbing.
Every quick-connect is a choke. 3/8 hose kicks ***
over 1/4, and a good grade of garden hose with no
connectors (just plumbing and maybe an oversized
ball valve) better still. You can get more air out of
the business end at 40PSI, than 1/4 hose at 100PSI
if you plumb it right.

Probably come out ahead if you only use the sand
for what other tools won't reach, when you're talking
big articles.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

thanks i think ill just farm it out, i just got a bid for $125
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Sandblasting isn't really the way to go for things that
can be done another way (like rotary media). Or
chemical stripper. Tough, intact paint can give sand
a real fight; it works better on dry and brittle (like
rust).

But, there are things besides the compressor that
make a big difference. Number one is the air plumbing.
Every quick-connect is a choke. 3/8 hose kicks ***
over 1/4, and a good grade of garden hose with no
connectors (just plumbing and maybe an oversized
ball valve) better still. You can get more air out of
the business end at 40PSI, than 1/4 hose at 100PSI
if you plumb it right.

Probably come out ahead if you only use the sand
for what other tools won't reach, when you're talking
big articles.
That's why I use high flow couplers. TP Tools sells them. Externally they look the same, but internally they are almost twice as large.

I would hope most folks would know not to try and use 1/4" line in a media blasting situation lol. That's just stupid.

As for blasting off paint, media choice is what makes the difference. Literally using sand is never smart. Silica will kill you, and the uneven grit size in play sand will clog your nozzle in a heartbeat. Aluminum oxide or steel grit will cut paint off ok.

I personally have a steel tank I build with an industrial strength stripper in it that I immerse parts in to strip paint and powder, then clean the parts and blast them. But when I get a part that's too big for my tank, like a motorcycle frame..in the cabinet it goes and my media mix I use cuts the paint off in a fairly quick fashion.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a HF blaster (40 gal. I think, borrowed) and my vertical Craftsman 33 gal set @ 80psi to blast a set of ralley wheels with Black Beauty slag. It worked, not great, but worked. The compresser never cut off while blasting, it would have been much better with more air compressor pushing! $125.00 sounds like a good deal, and yea the neighbors will appreciate it!

-SS

Quick Reply: What sandblaster and compressor size