Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Experienced welders and Ready Welder owners in here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced welders and Ready Welder owners in here!!!

I've been looking at getting into welding and have had my eye on the Ready Welder system. I've played with one at work and was impressed but I don't know **** about welding. It seemed pretty versatile and the career welders I work with had a lot of good things to say about the one or two times they've used them.

I'm seeing some good prices on these used and was thinking of making my own case to store the batteries and just keeping them up with the battery charger and having a pretty versatile system on the cheap.

Let me know your opinions, pros, and cons.

http://www.readywelder.com/info.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68rZh6NnUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8MtQSr1IcU
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

what are you trying to weld?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you need a battery powered machine or can you do with one that plugs into an outlet?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twokss
what are you trying to weld?
Just trying to stick two pieces of metal now and learn the basics like penetration, getting a good arc,etc. etc. In the future I can see things like filling in the holes on my datsun when i pull the trim off, welding the relocation brackets onto my new 12 bolt for my trans am, basic automotive work really.

Originally Posted by BADD SS
do you need a battery powered machine or can you do with one that plugs into an outlet?
Not necessarily. In the garage I have an outlet on a 20 amp breaker but I was just considering the different options. I'd really like to just find a good machine under 400 bucks that will weld fine on 110 and be upgradeable in the future. Every time I look at the options out there things seem a bit overwhelming when you're not to smart on the stuff.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

SEVERE amount of spatter...probably did penetrate ok on that stuff, but i would never waste my time or money on something like that, ESPECIALLY with a spool gun.

If you want to look at welders, get a Miller. you need to be looking at things like the Millermatic 140 or similar. it's a great little 110v machine that will do all the sheetmetal/automotive stuff you want. i think it only goes up to 3/16" at its max setting, but you can get away with stuff like rear end work at whatnot.

With welders, you will ALWAYS get what you pay for. Save yourself time and money, and start looking for Millers. They can be had cheap in nice condition if you look hard enough. a lot of guys will go buy a brand new machine, weld with it for 20 minutes, and sell it because they did all they needed to do with it. Depending on whether its new or used, what model, and what (if any) accessories it has, you can get the machine you need in the $600-$1200 range and will never need anything else unless you just want a bigger welder.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Miller for the win as always... If you're like us and weld all day, 6 days a week.

If all you are doing is this light stuff then you should be able to get into a few less expensive machines. 2000 SS is spot on here in many regards, specifically getting what you pay for in a machine. My question is do you really need it? If you don't plan on really pursuing welding I would look at any of the machines offered by Hobart, Lincoln, and the Miller that are 110V that will do your 1/4'' steel just fine.

Check the local high schools and trade/community college welding programs and get your feet wet. The beginner classes will give you a helluva head start with a few tips and tricks to get you on your way. If you have an experienced buddy with a couple hrs to point you in the right direction then your all set. Just be patient, welding is an art and science so very few can pick it right up. Some of us had to practice, a lot.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I hate the Miller nut swingers....
Old 03-18-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

i build powerplants. we use only Miller welders. it's not a coincidence, we're not sponsored, they're just the best.

Lincoln welders have the most unstable arc i've ever seen in a "high end" welder. Their motherboards and electronics in general don't last 2 months in our shop. they're more costly to repair than a Miller is to own for a decade. you can shout nutswinger all day long, but that doesn't make Miller welders any less superior.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Teching In

check out the
http://thefabforums.com/main/index.php
There is a lot of info on there about welding and fabricating
Old 03-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Miller is the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I hate the Miller nut swingers....
You'll notice that I used 2 other brands, more like one and a half I know, but most welders who have been doing this for some time know why 80% of crews have millers in the gang box.

Besides when did a flux core mig become a real welder anyhow, did I miss a memo? It's not like we're working outside in the wind erecting steel here.

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i build powerplants. we use only Miller welders. it's not a coincidence, we're not sponsored, they're just the best.

Lincoln welders have the most unstable arc i've ever seen in a "high end" welder. Their motherboards and electronics in general don't last 2 months in our shop. they're more costly to repair than a Miller is to own for a decade. you can shout nutswinger all day long, but that doesn't make Miller welders any less superior.
Quoted for truth.

I've yet to see a better product and service. If I did, that's what I would use cuz I don't nut swing crap. Superior products speak for themselves and I'll bet you dollars to doughnut holes red01ss doesn't stare at UV light as much as he does a computer screen.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

I agree with millers, probably 9 out of 10 professionals choose them. The only red machine I would run would be an older SA 200 or the like, they weld awesome, and turn 1500 rpm, quiet as a mouse.

My whole shop is filled with Great blue machines, and 1 red piece of **** plasma cutter I cant give away....

Nut swinger? Hell yeah for the best....
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

thought i'd throw this up for kicks....1/16" 71-V McKay flux-core with 75/25 Ar/CO2:

NO Lincoln i've ever seen/used would weld that good in that position. The welder i used for that was 10+ years old and has had a 60# spool of 1/16" wire ran through every 2-5 days 365 days a year.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Teching In

That is a great looking weld
thought i'd throw this up for kicks....1/16" 71-V McKay flux-core with 75/25 Ar/CO2:

NO Lincoln i've ever seen/used would weld that good in that position. The welder i used for that was 10+ years old and has had a 60# spool of 1/16" wire ran through every 2-5 days 365 days a year.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

We have both millers and lincolns at work. Both of these were done with Lincolns new invertig 205 that we are trying out and looking to purchase.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

not too shabby

I should probably have said this earlier, but a Lincoln welder, especially a TIG, in LIGHT DUTY sheet metal fabrication, can be just fine. In my industry, however, they just don't cut it. i can see buying a red machine for the right money, but if buying new, why not just buy the Miller and have peace of mind?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99345hp
We have both millers and lincolns at work. Both of these were done with Lincolns new invertig 205 that we are trying out and looking to purchase.

not too shabby

I should probably have said this earlier, but a Lincoln welder, especially a TIG, in LIGHT DUTY sheet metal fabrication, can be just fine. In my industry, however, they just don't cut it. i can see buying a red machine for the right money, but if buying new, why not just buy the Miller and have peace of mind?
He's a ****** ringer 2000SS, seen this fellas work before and always nice tight beads... Must be a pipe fitter, only explanation

Compare that invertig's duty cycle to the miller He didn't mention they were moving them out the door at 50% off with a miller trade in Just jokes guys and excellent work on the stainless 99345
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only reason we are trying out the lincoln is the owner of the supply company let us try out two of their tig welders. We have a miller syncrowave 250, but guess what?? Its broken!! Something is wrong with the AC balance. It seems like it is always stuck in full penetration balance, nothing like an extremely dirty weld huh??

Joker 120, Used to weld pipe for nuclear plants down south for a year, but now i just build $200,000 hotrods. Im not the best, but I guess im decent.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Back to the question at hand on the Ready Welder, I view it as more of a standby / emergency trail / when nothing else is available welder. I guess it beats 2 batteries, a pair of jumper cables, and a rod of 6011. Granted - I have never used one - but I could see where it'd come in handy in an off road and away from civilization situation. However, I would not use it as a shop welder, simply because I don't think it'd hold up to a shop environment. Get a big Miller and call it a day.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

^excellent point. in a pinch, with nothing else at hand, i can definately see the usefullness of a ready welder. i didn't think of it like that, and now that you say it, i might look into one

Quick Reply: Experienced welders and Ready Welder owners in here!!!