Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

can a broken starter motor boss mount be welded back on with engine in car.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default can a broken starter motor boss mount be welded back on with engine in car.....

Half of the boss mount broke, the one that takes the longer bolt.

Its almost perfectly half of it, what do you think?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a washer under the bolt?

I have an old starter if you really wanted swap the casings...pm if you want it
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Notmyvette
Use a washer under the bolt?

I have an old starter if you really wanted swap the casings...pm if you want it
Thanks...I'm getting the truck starter thats got the upgraded housing for $67.00 new off ebay.

I'm gonna have a welder weld the piece that broke off..back on. Then get a threaded rod with nuts/washers on each end, instead of rethreading the mount with a tap. Just afraid whern tightening it using the factory bolt it'll push the welded piece apart and break it off again.

We'll see tomorrow hopefully.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Yeah ignore what I said I thought you meant the part of the starter broke, then I read on how the block bosses always crack when the one bolt gets loose and the torque of the starter twists and breaks off a chunk. Or maybe your starter did break too but either way I just got a ebay starter for like $65 too, prob the same place u got it from. If so I was very impressed with it, NEW not reman and even included a huge long sheet of electronic specs of crap (ripple voltage?, etc) I dont know what means but shows they tested the motor and surprised since it was so cheap. I didnt know about the 2 longer bolt thing until it was put in so I figured it was a cheap knockoff and was to cheap to make it like the stock design but found out this way is better. Its being held in with only 1 long bolt for now, got to pick up another long bolt somewhere, I assume I can just get a copy of the other original long bolt?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Notmyvette
Yeah ignore what I said I thought you meant the part of the starter broke, then I read on how the block bosses always crack when the one bolt gets loose and the torque of the starter twists and breaks off a chunk. Or maybe your starter did break too but either way I just got a ebay starter for like $65 too, prob the same place u got it from. If so I was very impressed with it, NEW not reman and even included a huge long sheet of electronic specs of crap (ripple voltage?, etc) I dont know what means but shows they tested the motor and surprised since it was so cheap. I didnt know about the 2 longer bolt thing until it was put in so I figured it was a cheap knockoff and was to cheap to make it like the stock design but found out this way is better. Its being held in with only 1 long bolt for now, got to pick up another long bolt somewhere, I assume I can just get a copy of the other original long bolt?
So its working fine with just one long bolt in there?

And yes, my problem started when the starter housing at the shorter bolt broke, then it broke the mount of the longer bolt. Im gonna get that piece welded back on though so I can use both long bolts.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've tig welded several over the years that customers have brought in for repair (without removing engine).

Usually we did have to remove the header and lower tranny crossmember to gain adequate access to get a solid weld. Never had one fail after welding.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CalSpeedPerformance
We've tig welded several over the years that customers have brought in for repair (without removing engine).

Usually we did have to remove the header and lower tranny crossmember to gain adequate access to get a solid weld. Never had one fail after welding.
Yeah, I'm gonna be bringing it to a lift tomorow, dropping the tranny, and hopefully the welder can get to it. I'd hate to have to take the passenger side LT off.

Does it need to be totally welded up and down, or will just a few spot welds on each seem be ok?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
FormerVendor

We weld out anything we can get to.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CalSpeedPerformance
We weld out anything we can get to.
Could you get to this:

Attached Thumbnails can a broken starter motor boss mount be welded back on with engine in car.....-dsc02034.jpg   can a broken starter motor boss mount be welded back on with engine in car.....-dsc02035.jpg   can a broken starter motor boss mount be welded back on with engine in car.....-dsc02036.jpg  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Thats about the same as several we have repaired with no issue.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
...with cheese.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow you weren't kidding about being halved.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Armageddon
Wow you weren't kidding about being halved.
Yup.

I have a welder coming over to the house tomorrow, he's gonna try to weld that half back on perfectly. If that doesn't work he said he's gonna build the entire area up with a big blob of weld, the drill and tap it.

I'll get pics if I can.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

.....................FIXED.....................

A welder came over this morning and welded the broken piece back on in 30 minutes. Ran a tap through it and bam....done. $200.00 labor.

Attached Thumbnails can a broken starter motor boss mount be welded back on with engine in car.....-dsc02037.jpg   can a broken starter motor boss mount be welded back on with engine in car.....-dsc02038.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 04-03-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the exact same problem. what all did u have to remove for him to get it done? i just ordered new updated starter off ebay. maybe i can get luck to have someone come to my house and do it. might have to bring it to them though... any reccomendations on how to get job done?

Quick Reply: can a broken starter motor boss mount be welded back on with engine in car.....