Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Best Tig Welder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that sucks, but i figured as much...i know you get what you pay for, but hope springs eternal.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the research, and the problem with the other machines, is getting parts later. I had looked over that machine, along with thermal arc and another one. I have a dynasty 200 dx arriving next week. I think thermal arc is a good tig machine, but was japan internals, but went to Italian.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Launching!

You will love that welder and you will love the customer service that comes with it more. $4500 well spent. I have retired 3 very nice fullsize TIG welders for Dynasty 200DXs and haven't looked back, I even have one sitting at home that I haven't used yet but just had to have just in case. I use at least one of them almost every day for 8 hours or more for close to 5 years now with no complaints and lots of praise. Miller all the way!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Whats the best tig welder? Im trying to spend around 2500 or so.
lincoln precision 225.... best machine for the money..
Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
i was just checking the specs of that machine. for 1700 you get a tig setup and a plasma cutter. did you pick it up already?
Yep. I got it. It's really nice.

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i've never seen/heard of that machine...let us know how it works!!!
When I first got it, the plasma cutter didn't work. I called them and tech support spent an hour with me on the phone. Then told me it was the pilot arc board or the torch itself. He would never answer the phone or return my call after that discussion, so I called the sales dept and they sent me out a new torch no questions asked. I received it 3 days later and it works great. This unit is guaranteed 100% for 30 days and they'll even pay the return shipping. Those that say it's no dynasty, you're right. It's 1/2 the price of the dynasty, is just as compact, weighs 80lbs and welds plenty nice enough. By the way. The machine includes the tig torch, plasma torch, collets, shields and much more. Pretty much everything except the tungsten electrodes.
My friend uses a dynasty for a living and I asked him to come test it out and let me know his thoughts. He couldn't believe how nicely it welded. 5 year exchange warranty, so you won't need parts for at least that long unless the company goes under. They also have a forum for discussions. I just hope I don't need tech support again. Not answering and not calling back EVER is not acceptable to me, but like I said, the sales guy, Oleg took care of me. The foot pedal has been the source of the most complaints, but I am told that a new pedal will be out in a few weeks and Oleg offered to send me that along with a 25ft torch at no add'l charge. I'll let you know how much better I like the new components.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rice4eatingnotdrivin
lincoln precision 225.... best machine for the money..
While I think that's a nice machine, I have to disagree on that.

Less control and features than the Everlast, less warranty (full exchange 5 years), everything except tungsten electrodes, helmet and argon cylinder is included. Got mine on sale for 1600.00 shipped.
How much was that Lincoln by the time you got your torch and everything?
How much to add a plasma cutter to it?

My old Hobart Plasma cutter cost me 1300 and it was less than 1/2 the current of this machine. 300 more to weld almost anything. Sold!!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
While I think that's a nice machine, I have to disagree on that.

Less control and features than the Everlast, less warranty (full exchange 5 years), everything except tungsten electrodes, helmet and argon cylinder is included. Got mine on sale for 1600.00 shipped.
How much was that Lincoln by the time you got your torch and everything?
How much to add a plasma cutter to it?

My old Hobart Plasma cutter cost me 1300 and it was less than 1/2 the current of this machine. 300 more to weld almost anything. Sold!!
im not gunna sit here and argue with u over tig welders... everyone has there own preference.. ive used every miller tig welder out there and used a ton of lincolns.. heres the thing what is the duty cycle on that everlast and what amps can it weld up to??? that is were the difference will be made between the two... what features are u talking about that the lincoln doesnt have???

i picked the lincoln because i do a TON of welding and it hasnt let me down yet... hell i just finished a 25.3 chassis on a 79 vet with it.... i welded for probably 2hrs straight with the only time for it not being in use was me readjusting to get the otherside of the tube or to move to another tube that needed to be welded.. but like i said im not here to pick a fight over something stupid its a personal preference and everyone has there own brand they like...
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rice4eatingnotdrivin
im not gunna sit here and argue with u over tig welders... everyone has there own preference.. ive used every miller tig welder out there and used a ton of lincolns.. heres the thing what is the duty cycle on that everlast and what amps can it weld up to??? that is were the difference will be made between the two... what features are u talking about that the lincoln doesnt have???

i picked the lincoln because i do a TON of welding and it hasnt let me down yet... hell i just finished a 25.3 chassis on a 79 vet with it.... i welded for probably 2hrs straight with the only time for it not being in use was me readjusting to get the otherside of the tube or to move to another tube that needed to be welded.. but like i said im not here to pick a fight over something stupid its a personal preference and everyone has there own brand they like...
Funny how you say you're not going to argue and then you begin defending your equipment and asking questions to load your guns. This is a forum and forums are for discussion. I meant no offense.
Best machine for the money? I respectfully disagreed with you that's all. Not trying to hurt your feelings or your Lincoln's feelings. I am glad you're happy with it and it seems to serve you well. Nobody's picking a fight. You're absolutely right it's personal preference. It's also feature vs. benefit vs. your wallet. I say anyone interested in trying this unit out is welcome to do so for 30 days or come to my shop and use mine. I have wanted my own TIG unit for a long time. I was able to sell my Hobart Airforce plasma cutter and get this for a little more. When coming from that perspective, it was a no brainer.
It's a 60a plasma cutter that has a maximum recommended cut of 7/8" and maximum severance cut of 1-1/8" 250 amps TIG (@60% duty cycle)
Comes with the plasma torch, the SMAW clamp, water-cooled TIG torch (no cooler, but you can run tap water through it easily and drain it where you choose or purchase it for an additional 450.00) and consumables, regulator, foot pedal If you care to know any more of the specs, look them up or give them a call.

I couldn't find another unit on out there that can do what this unit does at anywhere near the price or even 50% more or a manufacturer that would stand behind their product with a 5 year exchange warranty.
I loved my friends miller synchrowave that I used to borrow. It was bulky and expensive. I don't have the space for something that large and didn't care to spend that much money. This was more than I was looking for at less than I expected to pay.

Best regards.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been using a MIG for the last 15 years. I finally took the plunge and decided to try a relatively new TIG unit. Chinese assembled and the simple parts are Chinese, but the power modules are high end, Siemens and the chips are high end too. It's comparable to the Miller Dynasty 200. Comes with the foot pedal, torch, regulator and everything else other than the consumables. 250amps at 35%DC, 60amps plasma cutter and has all the good controls except spot timer.
I will do a writeup on it after I get it set up.

Just out of curiosity, did they ask you to do a write up?

I know most guys are gonna do what they gotta do $$ wise,and I can hardly blame you for doing so. But if I can get a proven industry leading product from an established company with great customer service that also engineers and builds it's products in the USA, I'm going with the red white and blue. Yup, the Chinese stuff is cheaper....but it's not like 1700 is drop in the bucket, and what happens if they aren't around to honor that warranty? Lincoln and Miller have been at it for a minute. You'll always be able to find parts, and there will always be someone who can service them.

But I'm the crazy guy who won't step foot into Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

hands down its gotta be the miller 200dx or even the miller maxstar (only 30lbs) most of my welding is on ships but those machines outdo bigger more expensive machines. reliability is excellent too.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

post some pictures of some work you did with that Everlast if you can. i'm not waving a BS flag or anything, i just don't see how a welder 1/4 the cost of the dynasty could ever be worth it or perform like i want it to. i'm looking for a tig and this is a good opportunity for me to be talked into trying the Everlast. Having a plasma cutter is an added bonus. Will that machine lay beads like this, if the operator is capabale :

i want a machine that has good enough internals and adjustability to do what i need it to. i'm going to be doing a lot of stainless and aluminum if/when i get a new machine and it all has to look very visually appealing, as well as be a good quality weld.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ thats pretty slick man. What thickness is that?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99345hp
^^ thats pretty slick man. What thickness is that?
i can't remember exactly...the stainless is like 2" X 3/4" bar or something along those lines...maybe 2" x 1/2". the steel is 1" plate i believe. that stainless bar is actually a back-up bar for a drip pan assembly that will eventually rest upon it. the unit itself is a special cooler that sits on a turbine inside a Virginia-class nuclear submarine

EDIT: and it wasn't done with a dynasty, that was just using a Syncrowave 250 with HUNDREDS (if not thousands) of hours of use.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jdustu
Just out of curiosity, did they ask you to do a write up?

But I'm the crazy guy who won't step foot into Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight.
No they never asked me to do a writeup. I just usually do the, but more so in the Corvette Forum F/I section.

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
post some pictures of some work you did with that Everlast if you can. i'm not waving a BS flag or anything, i just don't see how a welder 1/4 the cost of the dynasty could ever be worth it or perform like i want it to. i'm looking for a tig and this is a good opportunity for me to be talked into trying the Everlast. Having a plasma cutter is an added bonus. Will that machine lay beads like this, if the operator is capabale :

i want a machine that has good enough internals and adjustability to do what i need it to. i'm going to be doing a lot of stainless and aluminum if/when i get a new machine and it all has to look very visually appealing, as well as be a good quality weld.
This operator is definitely not capable of laying down a weld like that. If my great welding friend is ever over to my house, I'll have him throw down a bead and I'll post up.
Like I believe I mentioned before. If anyone is close enough to stop by, you're welcome to come play with this machine.
I'm not saying this machine is better than any American machine. It's a nice machine for a very reasonable price. If you like your Lincoln or Miller, that's great. Price kept me from buying a TIG until now since I am a hobbyist.
My hat's off for those of you that only buy American, but the lines seem to be getting less clear. Even when you buy American, what's inside? Buy an American car and it's only a small percentage of the parts are American. Heck, I wonder what the difference is in % American between the American manufacturers and Toyota since they assemble many (if not all) models here.
For the record, this machine is assembled in China, but most of the internals are from elsewhere. The power modules are Siemens.
Only time will tell if I made a good choice. If it lasts me a long time, I will be happy with my choice.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

No they never asked me to do a writeup. I just usually do the, but more so in the Corvette Forum F/I section.

This operator is definitely not capable of laying down a weld like that. If my great welding friend is ever over to my house, I'll have him throw down a bead and I'll post up.
Like I believe I mentioned before. If anyone is close enough to stop by, you're welcome to come play with this machine.
I'm not saying this machine is better than any American machine. It's a nice machine for a very reasonable price. If you like your Lincoln or Miller, that's great. Price kept me from buying a TIG until now since I am a hobbyist.
My hat's off for those of you that only buy American, but the lines seem to be getting less clear. Even when you buy American, what's inside? Buy an American car and it's only a small percentage of the parts are American. Heck, I wonder what the difference is in % American between the American manufacturers and Toyota since they assemble many (if not all) models here.
For the record, this machine is assembled in China, but most of the internals are from elsewhere. The power modules are Siemens.
Only time will tell if I made a good choice. If it lasts me a long time, I will be happy with my choice.
I just asked because I know of people who have been given machines(or given nice prices) in exchange for a good review. I'm glad you are genuinely happy with your machine, as opposed to being bought off.

I understand the lines have blurred. Even a place like Red Wing boots is outsourcing more and more of their work, and Toyota right now has the "most American" car according to some metrics. I don't necessarily agree with how they measure that, but that's neither here nor there.

That being said, Miller is still an American owned company that designs and assembles it machines in Appleton, Wisconsin. Lincoln designs and builds almost all of their machines in Ohio. Some of the internals are imported....I don't think there is much of a choice on that front. They support a lot of jobs in the midwest.

The chinese welders seems to be getting better in quality, and they are definitely making a grass roots push to get the word out. There's a big market for guys that want cheap welders for their garage. I think it's mostly Longevity that pissed me off by sending email after email asking for me to add a link to their site. I always thought they were pretty much the same, but it sounds like Everlast has it together a little more maybe? I don't know.

I'll stick with the machines that have decades of proven performance and are currently keeping many Americans employed.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

coolant reservoir i made for my buddies turbo mustang. welded it with a lincoln precision 225

Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

mig- as of now i have a lincoln 140hd. one day hopefully ill be upgrading to a miller 250

plasma- i will only and always use HYPERTHERM products. i would never think of putting another cutter in its place. unless its a bigger hypertherm.

TIG- for light stuff ,ive been lookin for a miller maxstar 150 or 200...
for heavy stuff. a syncrowave 250 or larger!

i AM a big cheapo but when it comes to metal fab i dont cut corners , and i dont take chances and try a product that i have never heard of
Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a few lincoln products. A 250 tig, a plasma cutter, and I had a mig. I traded the mig for a larger miller 300.

I had a problem with the plasma cutter which I bought new. Lincoln was HORRIBLE to deal with. MONTHS and MONTHS and MONTHS...and in the end it was covered by warranty , they tried to deny it, but it was because the warranty expired while they had it. It would have been cheaper to just give me a new machine. After that fiasco I will never ever have another lincoln. I love my miller, use it basically everyday. Miller is a different caliber machine in comparison. Better parts through out. My lincoln tig machine works fine, but I wish I would have spent another 500-700 for the miller now. Out of basic business practice ethics . I dont use the tig everyday, and its build quality isnt up to that use.

Miller from here on out......
Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

what about us guys that occasionally weld, not every day? I see that most guys that weigh in with Miller recommendations are users pretty much in their day job and that makes sense. I can't see that for a car hobbyist who is welding exhaust once in a while, SFC's, small repairs, turbo kits, etc...needs a $2500 welding machine. We can buy something used, but most of the used stuff for sale, with reasonable pricing takes up too much space in a 2 car garage.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

ebay and local welding shops may have some used ones for a nice price. anything under 1/4" a lincoln , hobart or miller 140 would do the trick. anyhting larger than that and you will need a 180 or 210

Quick Reply: Best Tig Welder?