Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Best Tig Welder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
what about us guys that occasionally weld, not every day? I see that most guys that weigh in with Miller recommendations are users pretty much in their day job and that makes sense. I can't see that for a car hobbyist who is welding exhaust once in a while, SFC's, small repairs, turbo kits, etc...needs a $2500 welding machine. We can buy something used, but most of the used stuff for sale, with reasonable pricing takes up too much space in a 2 car garage.
If that's all you're doing a Miller Diversion 165 would be fine. It comes ready to weld(and takes up almost no room) for under $1,300 from many retailers.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

i wouldn't like using a 110v machine on 1/4" thick stuff. i know a lot of people do, but i don't care for the penetration profiles i've had on 1/4" (yes, we've acid-etched the welds to see). if you're welding 1/4", step up to a 220v welder. anything under that and a 110v will do.

If you're just a light-duty hobbyist, welding maybe one or two small parts every now and then, i wouldn't push any particular machine or brand because you obviously don't need the biggest or best. I'll agree with jdustu though, the diversion 165 would be great. They're about the size of a woman's purse or small suitcase and run fantastically. if you need a cheap mig, look into Hobarts machines, they can be had cheap and at most farm & home stores.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have any luck with a Lincoln Precision 185?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

anything lincoln or miller is pretty much ****
Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by turbo
Anyone have any luck with a Lincoln Precision 185?
I use one at work (Quick Fuel Technology) and I like it really well so far. I don't have any complaints about the welder, although I havent used the stick portion of the welder, only the tig part. There are a couple drawbacks, air cooled torch (hasn't affected me yet) and it doesnt have quite enough power to weld some of the thicker stuff. Overall it is a very nice unit and if that's what I could afford I would get one.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cody161
I use one at work (Quick Fuel Technology) and I like it really well so far. I don't have any complaints about the welder, although I havent used the stick portion of the welder, only the tig part. There are a couple drawbacks, air cooled torch (hasn't affected me yet) and it doesnt have quite enough power to weld some of the thicker stuff. Overall it is a very nice unit and if that's what I could afford I would get one.
Great to hear, I am fortunate enough to have one. I plan on using it only for automotive and learning a lot with this welder. I am lucky that I have a couple of friends and father n law that are good experienced with welders. I will do a report after I build my exhaust with it soon.

Last edited by turbo; 07-26-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
post some pictures of some work you did with that Everlast if you can. i'm not waving a BS flag or anything, i just don't see how a welder 1/4 the cost of the dynasty could ever be worth it or perform like i want it to. i'm looking for a tig and this is a good opportunity for me to be talked into trying the Everlast. Having a plasma cutter is an added bonus. Will that machine lay beads like this, if the operator is capabale :

i want a machine that has good enough internals and adjustability to do what i need it to. i'm going to be doing a lot of stainless and aluminum if/when i get a new machine and it all has to look very visually appealing, as well as be a good quality weld.
The only way I could post pictures like that is if I could get you or someone as good as you to borrow my machine.
I did find this guy on Youtube that seems to be a good welder and did a writeup on the welder I have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHksIgEmwSQ
I want to post up the good and the bad. I will say that the regulator that they included cracked under the pressure that the gauge put on the threads and I discovered it when I turned on the Argon and felt it blowing on my hand. I called them and they said they would send me one right out. When I bought this, they told me some people don't like the pedal and that they were designing a new one. Well, that design is out and he is sending me one of those too. Hopefully it's not so bulky.

I have also heard some say they like the Invertig units. I have been told by a rep that is an old Everlast design and these are built at the same facility.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

I also wanted to mention that a machinist friend of mine told me about a little card from Miller that will tell you all of your settings for the MIG and TIG machines. They're very inexpensive and a great reference for folks that don't weld for a living and could use a little help.
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/tools/#calculators
Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

wow....that was what i've been wanting to see. thanks for posting.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BADD SS
I have, im pretty sure they are a sponsor on pirate 4x4, but it's no dynasty.....

There is a video on youtube of a guy taking his and bashing it with a sledgehammer. Couldnt get parts for it, it was like a year old and had arc issues since day 1....
BADD SS

We are sponsors on pirot4x4 .. and looking to sponsor one of the sub forums on this site as well.

on YouTube issue .. I know what video you talking about BUT its not EVERLAST , its another importer. If you want to see you can search for it you will find it , i will not go into it. We have all parts in stock even for the MOSFETS models that we don't even carry since 2008.

Our PowerTig 250EX and PowerPro 256 can go head to head with Dynasty200 on performance .. that i can tell you for sure.. we have PRO welders that can back us up on this.

If you are a blue/red/yellow box guy that is fine ..... please lets not kill this thread on how Chinese is junk and etc etc.... Even in China you get what you pay for ... We buy the BEST , over 80% of the parts we use imported from GERMANY , KOREA and TAIWAN .. WE are not just importer , we actually design models in USA and factory in China does the rest. We will have 5 (4 for sure) new models at the FEBTECH show later this year.

We do offer 30days money back on all of our units.... if yo not happy for ANY reason you will get full refund and WE PAY shipping back

Happy Welding Guys !!!!

Last edited by Everlast; 08-02-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Teching In

wow....that was what i've been wanting to see. thanks for posting.
2000_SS

please see 5 or so videos on PowerTig 250EX that WeldingTipsAndTricks.Com did some time ago ... Let me know if you need the link !

Oleg
Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Everlast
2000_SS

please see 5 or so videos on PowerTig 250EX that WeldingTipsAndTricks.Com did some time ago ... Let me know if you need the link !

Oleg
i'll track them down, thanks. i'm realling starting to consider picking up one of your machines, i just need to scrape together the funds first, which would be easier than getting a used dynasty.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Teching In

i'll track them down, thanks. i'm realling starting to consider picking up one of your machines, i just need to scrape together the funds first, which would be easier than getting a used dynasty.
2000_SS

Feel free to call me anytime at the office ... Our LX model is very popular as well !

oleg
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

oh no...i gotta have the "bells and whistles"

found those videos by the way, cool stuff.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Teching In

oh no...i gotta have the "bells and whistles"

found those videos by the way, cool stuff.
ha ha ... dont blame you !
Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Everlast
ha ha ... dont blame you !
not sure if i'm interpreting your website correctly, but does the powerpro 256 come with a water cooler and water cooled torch?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

not sure if i'm interpreting your website correctly, but does the powerpro 256 come with a water cooler and water cooled torch?
No cooler. Sold separately. If you wanted, you could run any water source through it and drain it in a convenient place.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

A few weeks ago I was at school getting some certs for a new job. I got to screw around on a Miller Aerowave....Holy *****! I guess it was designed and built for Boeing originally, it's a hybrid inverter/transformer machine. They don't make it anymore, and it cost almost 10k new. It's got some crazy "ghost wave" features for aluminum that I didn't get into too much, but the power was so smooth and consistent. One cool bit that I'd never seen before was that it wouldn't let you arc if you didn't have gas.

Kinda an outta reach machine, but it sure is cool to mess around with something like that when you get the chance!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a syncrowave 200. Ive always used a lincoln squarewave 355 and a syncrowave 350 prior at work, and this 200 machine is my personal one.... I hated the HF on it... you cant fine tune it, only 3 settings. But ive gotten used to it and it hasnt let me down in the 3 years I owned it.. Even after my brakes went out on my TA and I ran into it in my garage... I do a lot of intercooler piping at home, small stuff like that.... And this thing will heat up on me. I wish I had gotten one with a cooler.... makes a huge difference if your going to be using it a bit.... otherwise plan on stopping and taking a few minute break every 5 min of welding...
Old 09-11-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a thermal arc 185, i like alot,bought it online at indiana oxygen..
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.co...RC--TIG/Detail

i think i read somewhere that almost all these inverter type welders are using toshiba and siemens components.. even the lincolns and millers....

when i was looking, i almost bought the hobart tig.. it looked like a good deal for the money..

i need to make me a watercooler, and get a water cooled torch..

my watercooler will be a simple 2 or 5 gallon bucket and fishtank pump...

Last edited by brucer; 09-11-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Tig Welder?