Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Pittsburgh Professional (Harbor Freight) Ratchets

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pittsburgh Professional (Harbor Freight) Ratchets

I was poking around in Harbor Freight a couple of weeks ago just seeing what there was to see (I tend to do that pretty often in that store), and ended up coming across some ratchets I hadn't noticed before:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...het-96783.html

They have these in 1/4" - 1/2" drive sizes, as well as stubby versions. I was impressed enough with them that I picked up a few of these for my tool collection.

Overall, they feel like pretty decent ratchets - made in Taiwan, nice finish, and smooth action. The packaging claims that they have a lifetime warranty, whatever that means.

Anyone that actually has quality ratchets (like Snap-on, etc) had a chance to mess around with these? I'd be curious to know how they stack up since the only other ratchets I own are Craftsman...regardless, they seemed like good quality, especially considering the price.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'll be honest with you man. Im in college and at least 90% of my toolbox is filled with harborfreight equipment. i have not had a problem out of any of it yet. I'm always on the lookout for those awesome coupons they put out. In short, I <3 Harbor Freight
Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ pittsburg pro stuff is pretty good!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 1/4 version. I love that little thing. Next will be the matching 3/8ths.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I buy alot of harbor freight stuff and honestly for workin on my own stuff it works pretty well.
The following tools they sell suck:
1. Drill Bits - I broke a 3/8" one in a piece of wood
2. Screw Drivers - Junk, chip off and strip out
3. Battery Tender - Pretty sure it killed my quad battery cause it was brand new

Other than that, you get what you pay for.
I have a set of metric Impact sockets. Never broken one yet, and they were like $15 as opposed to 100+ for craftsman, and 200+ for snap-on.

I dont know that i would trust the torque values on their torque wrench though. I dont know how good their stuff would be for precision work.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Hf ratchets are getting better and better but i am sticking to mostly SK ones for now. I have a # 3870 that was my grandpa's.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

I've got the 3/8" regular length and stubby version and use the crap out of them. I went to them after snapping the 3/8" drive portion off my GM Goodwrench one and haven't had many problems.

I've had two problems so far...one is the nature of the wratchet and the other is a design issue.

After using the tool now for a couple of months, the red and black handle is starting to twist on me. I will usually break a bolt loose with the ratchet in normal fashion then tilt the handle vertical and take the bolt out kind of like a screwdriver. So, that's why the handle has started to turn on me.

Secondly, I have on several occasions pinched the CRAP out of my hand with the pivoting head. It is handy as a pocket on a shirt, but man, I've started being more careful where I grab the wrench at to start turning...lol..

Overall, great tool though for the cost!

Cody B.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up the 3/8th Pittsburgh torque wrench they had on sale for $11.99 lol.. it is awesome no problems at all

Quick Reply: Pittsburgh Professional (Harbor Freight) Ratchets