Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Where to get a nice micrometer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where to get a nice micrometer?

I'm referring to the ones you turn by a **** and will stop once you hit a certain pre-load in the micrometer to give you a very accurate measurement of the item you're measuring.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brown and Sharpe, Interapid, starrett are the better brands..
You can get a cheaper brand like Mitutoyo.. Most all have a clutch that gives when there is enough tension..

I personally would go with Fowler (very good brand IMO).
MSC has a 3 piece 0-3" Fowler set with "ratchet thimble and locking nut" and standards in a case for $69.95.. Order number is LH85217594 out of my current MSC flyer.. I'd be all over it if I didn't already have a set..
Old 01-25-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for MSC and the above named brands.

If you really want accuracy and longevity, especially if you're going to use it on any hard materials (like brake rotors or cutting tools), get one with carbide faces.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

You can order everything you need from Bass Tool and Supply in Houston. 800 442 0042 or 713 682 1889.

You can also get all the porting equipment you may need. They have aluminum and steel cutting carbide burrs along with any other sanding needs.

I have their catalog if you need any part numbers.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starret all the way!!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:02 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Originally Posted by Nick@AP-Engineering
Starret all the way!!
Ditto on that!!

Levi, what will you be measuring? If you will be measuring crank journal diameters,etc., you will want an outside micrometer that resolves to .0001" for accurate measurements.

Jason
Old 01-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Also, FWIW.. I have a real cheapo 6" CEN-TECH caliper (Harbor Freight special) I use for measuring things that aren't really precise.. Like sway bar diamater.. Exhaust diamater.. Things that are much easier to measure with a caliper then a measuring tape..

The CEN-TECH one I have cost under $20, is digital and will read in inches and milimeters.
Again.. I definately would never even think about measuring something that needs to be precise... but to measure a 3/4", 21mm, 22mm, etc.. sway bar thickness it's perfect..
Old 02-01-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

We used to use nothing but starret because they used to be the best. The last few years they have really cut corners on the there equipment and under investigation by the government because there equipment is not nearly as accurate as adverstized. We spend large amounts of money calibrating our equipment. Our micrometers are calibrated every six months and end up rejecting and scraping most of starret equipment. We use a some sharp and brown but have been switching to high end Mitutoyo equipment not there cheaper stuff. Anyway for car stuff just about anything will work. Its not like you are measuring down to the fourth or fifth decimal place anyway.

Gary
Old 02-01-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red ws6 99
We used to use nothing but starret because they used to be the best. The last few years they have really cut corners on the there equipment and under investigation by the government because there equipment is not nearly as accurate as adverstized. We spend large amounts of money calibrating our equipment. Our micrometers are calibrated every six months and end up rejecting and scraping most of starret equipment. We use a some sharp and brown but have been switching to high end Mitutoyo equipment not there cheaper stuff. Anyway for car stuff just about anything will work. Its not like you are measuring down to the fourth or fifth decimal place anyway.

Gary
I've noticed that too somewhat. Most of the Starret stuff I have is older and of excellent qualty, even for their age. But my 6" dial caliper I got around 6 or 7 years ago is the biggest POS I have ever owned. The steel is way too soft and I don't trust the thing to better than .005. The repeatability is horrible as well. The $30 flea market job I had in HS was of better quality and more accurate. Never had a problem with their Mic's though, actually really like them. But I had no idea things had gotten that out of hand with Starret as to warrant a federal investigation. It's rather unfortionate too, sine Starret was once the leader in measuring tools.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Whoa on the Starret bashing! Not being a company mole or anything if you are really seriously needing accurarcy below .001" then you need to take into consideration ambient temp and humidity in order to compensate for the expantion/contraction of the metal itself due to thermo/humido considerations.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a tool and die maker so I use mics alot. My fav is also starrett but I don't have any new stuff from them, everything I have is at least a few years old. I also like browne and sharpe and mitutoyo. You either want a friction thimble or a ratchet mic. I prefer the friction thimble but some don't like them. There are tons of places to buy them new (enco for one) but honestly you can get some killer deals on ebay and they last for years if they have been taken care of.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Hi there,
I have a STARRETT (124MBZ) INSIDE MICROMETER [50 - 300mm] which is in an as new condition that I no longer need.

This micrometer retails at this url -

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=123445

- for £250 but I'm looking to sell it for £100. If anyone is interested in this item then please contact me by PM or alternatively the item can be perused upon ebay in the uk (item number - 320314025506).

Thank you for looking at this post!
Yours,
k750man.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how good it has to be, but I
have gotten them at the Harbor Freight and
no gripes (not that I have any way to judge
accuracy other than trying to mic an old
feeler gauge or something). The ones I got
have the feature you mention, in fact I
got the boxed set of 1, 2 and 3" mics
since it was so reasonable a price. Plus
a digital caliper and a dial indicator.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, digging up old posts there k750man...

Quick Reply: Where to get a nice micrometer?