Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Need decent tools that don't break the bank, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need decent tools that don't break the bank, suggestions?

I am about to start working as a lube tech at the dealership I've been at for a few years. I'll be handling oil changes and tire rotations mostly with a few odds and ends thrown in. I'm looking for a decent impact and sockets that aren't going to break the bank as I cannot afford snap-on or cornwell, etc. If anyone has some suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks.

PS. I've heard IR is good and they sell them at Kragen?? But wondering if they are a lower end of IR that is being sold. They have some pretty good prices for them.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to ToolTopia.com and do a search for Sunex. After finding out about them on here from a member, I stopped buying Snap-On, MAC, and Matco. Granted I'm no longer a full-time mechanic, but for the price, strength, and the way the tools have held up, I think they're great.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a lot. I'm going to check it out right now.

Anyone else with more suggestions?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

I use mostly Craftsman at work (Industrial Maintenance Mechanic) due to if something does break there are a few Sears stores close by and I don't have to wait for the truck to come around and get a sales pitch/guilt trip every time it does.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I get good service from the Kobalts from LOWES> Same warranty as the big guys..
Old 07-22-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I am about to start working as a lube tech at the dealership I've been at for a few years. I'll be handling oil changes and tire rotations mostly with a few odds and ends thrown in. I'm looking for a decent impact and sockets that aren't going to break the bank as I cannot afford snap-on or cornwell, etc. If anyone has some suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks.

PS. I've heard IR is good and they sell them at Kragen?? But wondering if they are a lower end of IR that is being sold. They have some pretty good prices for them.
IR makes good air tools. I don't know if the ones you saw at Kragen are a lower quality or not. You should be able to check the part number on them and see if they differ from IR's regular line of tools.

IR even makes air tools for Matco, and Matco just puts their name on it.

I've got an old IR impact, I think it's the 231 model that every old timer still has. Mine is over 20 years old and still going strong. I've also got a IR/Matco brand composite impact and that one has been going strong for close to 15 years now. My latest is an IR Titanium that has close to 10 years of use on it. All of them work and work well. Shame on me but if I lube or grease them once a year, that's all they get. Tough guns for sure.

For sockets, just get craftsman or whoever is easiest to warranty when they break.

When I look for new air tools, I always check to see what IR has first before looking at other brands. IR makes good stuff, you can't go wrong with them.

Now I have a 3/8 snap on air ratchet and that thing is a beast.(i think its about 15 years old) If it ever dies, I'll buy another one of those in a heartbeat. When it was new, it had so much torque it would snap the anvil off the head of it. I think it broke about 3 anvils that the snap on guy replaced no charge. Now that it's older and weaker(not by much), I haven't had a problem in years with snapping the anvil head off.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going shopping in the morning and have some stuff on order in the mail. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

Craftsman for me. Cant beat a lifetime warranty with Sears nearby to gladly replenish broken parts
Old 07-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by colospgsTA
Craftsman for me. Cant beat a lifetime warranty with Sears nearby to gladly replenish broken parts
yup...me too.

i know some of the bigger companies have a cheaper alt. brand w/ decent tools.

snap-on has blue point...there are others.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting the IR 231c impact gun. I am impressed with this thing. It was only 129.99 plus 20 for a extended warranty. Has way more power than my fellow lube tech's blue point gun. I got some Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches on the way and I bought my impact deep sockets for lugs nuts at harbor freight since they are dirt cheap and easy to return.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bramlok
IR even makes air tools for Matco, and Matco just puts their name on it.
IR used to make Matco's air tools but not anymore.

IR does make good air tools and there is no need to buy them off a tool truck.

Do yourself a favor and buy as little cheap stuff as possible to get yourself started. Then bite the bullet and spend the money on a quality tool like Snap On. I have been a tech for over 8 year and the cheaper stuff doesn't cut it for the heavy use we put our tools through. Craftman might as well say Crapman on it. Yes I know some people will get pissy about me saying that, but it is the truth. They are fine for at home, but not for a professorial technician. When the socket cracks and rounds off a fastener I don't care what kind of warranty the socket has on it because it just made me more work and the car may not be able to be finished that day because of part availability. Then you have the ratchets. They don't have enough teeth in them when you get into a tight spot and you may not be able to even get a cheaper ratchet to go one tooth. The extensions twist more than the more expensive ones and you may not be able to get the nut loose because of it.

I think you get my point. By only what you have to of cheap stuff because if and when you make it off the lube rack you will be replacing the cheaper stuff with higher quality. Remember in this field most are paid flat rate not hourly so if your tools are slowing you down then you are loosing money.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm a mechanic at a dealer and I would say craftsmen is the best cheap tool but certain things of theirs won't take the stress of serious everyday work like fuelie74 said. You made a good choice with the IR gun it should last you a long time and once you start buying the more expensive tools just be sure to shop around. It seems like snap-on is alot more expensive than everyone else or at least thats how it is where I work so I would look at mac and matco.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlkFormula00
I'm a mechanic at a dealer and I would say craftsmen is the best cheap tool but certain things of theirs won't take the stress of serious everyday work like fuelie74 said. You made a good choice with the IR gun it should last you a long time and once you start buying the more expensive tools just be sure to shop around. It seems like snap-on is alot more expensive than everyone else or at least thats how it is where I work so I would look at mac and matco.
I've dealt with 2 Snap on dealers. The one I had at my old job jacked their prices way higher then they should be, the one I have now has pretty reasonable prices and they are pretty much the same as the matco dealer.

To the op, I'm a tech at dealership also. All my hand tools are pretty much craftsman, husky. Air tools IR, most specialty tools come from the snap on or matco. There's going to be a lot of tools you don't want to buy cheap either once you move up and start doing other things, if it's what you plan on doing for a while/forever.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The snap on truck that comes by the dealer I'm at is pretty pricey but we can usually haggle down to a fair price on some stuff. There are a few specialty tools that I need to get from him but so far I'm happy with the choices I made. Now I just need to get some work that pays. Lube and oil change is only worth 0.3hr here. It's busy as hell so its not too bad but I want the 30k services and such. Oh well in time I guess, it is only my first week from porter to lube tech.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check craigs list for a mechanics sale.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Harbor freight. Have yet to break any of their impact sockets or torque sticks
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Craftsman has an 84 tooth ratchet set which is as many as the best snap on, if I am not mistaken. Stores won't have it, but you can order a 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 for around 200. I have probably $1k in craftsman tools and gearwrench. None have failed and I use them often on my car and the gfs Lexus.

My recommendation is craftsman gearwrench, and like the guy up top said, sunnex. Sunnex isnt really well known but they are high quality.

Ps ir is a great choice. I and many others believe they are the best air tool. Not to mention they invented the air impact gun haha.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pocket
Harbor freight. Have yet to break any of their impact sockets or torque sticks
Big negative, space ghost. I am not a mechanic by profession, and I have broken many HF impact sockets using hand tools. They snap along the outer crease of the hex shape.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
The snap on truck that comes by the dealer I'm at is pretty pricey but we can usually haggle down to a fair price on some stuff. There are a few specialty tools that I need to get from him but so far I'm happy with the choices I made. Now I just need to get some work that pays. Lube and oil change is only worth 0.3hr here. It's busy as hell so its not too bad but I want the 30k services and such. Oh well in time I guess, it is only my first week from porter to lube tech.
You can also find used snap on and matco tools for cheap on ebay. If it breaks, have your tool guy replace it for free. They'll warranty most all hand tools and sockets. Air tools they only warranty for about 2 years so you're better off just getting the IR like you did.

Good luck with the new job!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Steelman is good...thats all we use at work and i do oil changes and tires and batteries.

Quick Reply: Need decent tools that don't break the bank, suggestions?