Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What mods to your garage do you love/hate/wish you had done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods to your garage do you love/hate/wish you had done?

I'll be moving into my new place here soon and the garage is stock, like anything else I have to mod it. I'm going to epoxy the floors, add some led overhead lights, a spot light in the front for extra under hood light, 225 plug for an eventual welder, separate breaker for air compressor, and a stout wood work bench with stainless top. Besides that I can't think of anything else I'll do right away. Eventually I'd like to plumb the air compressor into the wall to an overhead recoil air hose and do some nice cabinets instead the wire rack shelving I have now.

Just looking for other ideas or thigs to steer clear of.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

you have thought this out, which is good. I had a guy look at the floor coatings before I moved in, but at the time I didn't have the money. As much as I use my garage now, I wish I had it done.

How about a sink? I use mine all the time. Also a TV and outlets is something I use a lot. MANY times I wish I had a urinal as well, vs. having to clean off just to go in the house to take a ****. I would going to put one of those saloon doors on the wall, so non of my neighbors could see me ****, lol.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know how big it is...or how much time you plan on spending out there, but...Here's whats in my 40'x40'
Cabinets, countertops, Microwave and Frig from a remodel (no cost)
2 post lift (used 2K)
Work/Tool bench from heavy shelving material (like Lowes and HD use) used $80
Window unit A/C (free from remodel)
lowered ceiling and insulated (I can keep it 78-80 with that little window shaker)
Shop fans, stereo, TV, jackstands, I could go on and on.

It's your space Have fun!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

AC and a lift and it would be a dream world for me
Old 08-06-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have more than anyone needs. 2 lifts, 3 phase convertor, etc etc etc........

the best things in my shop.....#1 refridgerated drinking fountain. people come over and leave drinks everywhere, or buy you drinks.....the drinking fountain solves all that. It also works well for cooling things off after welding. lol

#2....well, theres lots of things that are good to have....band saw, benders, hot tank etc etc, but the drinking fountain is #1.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
MANY times I wish I had a urinal as well, vs. having to clean off just to go in the house to take a ****. I would going to put one of those saloon doors on the wall, so non of my neighbors could see me ****, lol.
I just whip it out in the yard and ****.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
AC and a lift and it would be a dream world for me
It'd be HEAT and a lift for me. But I do have a gas line going to my garage from the house so this will be a reality for me soon enough!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

I have a sink in mine. It def comes in handy. Much better than getting the ones inside dirty. LoL
Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do I wish I had done?

Made it bigger ...

It's currently 24x54 ...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Bigger is Better!

Mine is 24x32. One half (12x32) has a second floor for storage. It was really great until I had one car on jackstands getting a bodyoff restoration and the driveline dropped out of another.

I have plenty of 110 and 220 plugs, cast iron piping for compressed air and epoxy floor paint.

I wish it was longer and had heat.

The wife is looking to move, so I agreed as long as I can build a larger garage with 4 bays (2 stories high), each with a seperate overhead door.

Bob K.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can never have enough 110V plugs...I really need to run more in mine
Old 08-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I did the whole air system with my garage, and love that. I put 2 hose reels in, one is setup with an auto-oiler, so that one gets all the use with the air tools.. other is used for tires, etc.

I do wish I had done the floor, but to put the floor in with the texture for the 24x24 and the 2 feet of foundation cement was going to be about another 1000 bucks I just didn't want to spend.

When I wired the garage.. it got 3 230V circuits, 2 are in the walls, one for the welder, one for the compressor, and the 3rd I left coiled up in the ceiling, waiting for whatever else I end up putting in, which at this point, may end up being a 230V electric heater for the winter time.

I also, have a free-standing a/c unit that is in the corner, that does a decent job of cooling it off, if it's really hot I have to leave it running all the time and overnight so that way it can cool it off and hold the temp down at least for a good portion of the day. Believe it or not it worked alot better until my neibhor cut a tree down, and now my garage is in full sun all afternoon moreso then it was

I also installed a fan @ the louver on the front. I do wish I had put 2 in, one in both ends, so that way it would create a bit of a vacuum effect in the garage if I open up the hatchway to the attic area.... that would be useful if I start a car in the garage, or if I ever want to paint something. That, I can easily add a 2nd fan though, should the need come along.

Lights, I was going to do the flour or LED ones, but they wanted alot of $ for that, so I ended up with a fixture that just lets a bulb hang out in the open, and there's a total of 8 100 watt bulbs. I did texture the ceiling, and painted it and the walls semi gloss white. If I had to do it again I would have painted them full gloss white to reflect the light better.

Workbench, I like your idea for the stainless top. You can see the one I built, that's pretty sturdy. it's constructed out of 2x8 and 2x6, the metal legs were on an old bench in my basement, that was falling apart. New hardware and wood on them, made a BIG difference.

I also put a 120v plug every 7 feet. Seems insane to put that many in, but I never have an issue finding an open one. And, there's only 5 plugs per breaker, 20 amp breaker so they don't have any issues popping breakers even when every damn tool out there is running at the same time, which does happen.

I also put 2 plugs outside, one that gets used to keep the charger on the trailer battery, and the block heater for my truck in the winter, one in back, I will use for a bug zapper when I get around to buying one.

I also insulated the walls and ceiling.. which makes a big difference with heating/cooling.

If I had to do anything over, the 10.5 foot ceiling I have, it would have been nice to have more so I could actually put a lift in. Garage was supposed to get built with a rafter, not a truss... but that's a whole different story for another day.

If I were to go any bigger, 28x28 would be nice.. but the bigger you go the more crap that finds it's way in there too....

That being said if I won the lotto tomorrow and could build a new house and a garage/shop, it would be a 40x60 steel builting with a min 18 foot ceiling, with gas heat, some type of cooling or at least have shade cover the building, or the west side anyway... and I'd put a lift in big enough to lift my truck up. Also would have a big door at both ends, so I could drive around, pull in with the truck and trailer, unload the car, put it on the lift and leave the trailer and truck hooked, and pull them inside too.

Running water in the garage would be nice too. But, my wife wouldn't allow that, she complains about the fridge that's out there now LOL. If I had running water and a bathroom/shower.. she is right I probably would never come back in the house

Last edited by JL ws-6; 08-14-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RGKSR
with 4 bays (2 stories high), each with a seperate overhead door.

Bob K.
Please explain why that is preferable to one big door ... or in your case, two big doors? I see a lot of folks preferring that and I just don't see it.

I paid extra for an oversized 18x10 single door, ceiling hugger and opener.
Having that large opening makes it so much easier to get a car in and out.

Not hating ... just curious ...
Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default One big door or smaller ones

My next garage (it's getting closer as the wife is getting very serious about moving) as planned will have 4 smaller overhead doors for each bay. Right now I have a 15' wide door for a 24' wide garage. I'd like a seperate door for bay. That would allow me to move things in and out without much fuss. One bay can have the lift, one a backyard buddy for 2 car storage, one bay for my trailer I keed my hunting quad in and a spare for the next Corvette.

I have the lift in my garage now, but I've go my '00 vette torn apart on it and my '72 vette is sitting on the other side waiting for the paint to get stripped.

Bob K.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

My favorite thing is the epoxy floor paint. I did it before anything else and it sure makes clean up alot better esp. if you spill oil. I did mine myself with the stuff you buy at the home improvement store. Prepped the hell out of the floor and never had any problem with it lifting, chipping or peeling. I did not add the texture so it was slick at first but as it aged it lost the slick gloss which is perfect. I just scrub it with a broom and geased lightning. hose it down and sqeegee it out the door.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default New Garage Coming!

It looks like we are making an offer on a new house tomorrow. It has a seperate 31x44 garage (with three overhead doors) behind the house. It's got 11.5' ceilings so I can fit my lift. The wife can keep the two car garage attatched to the house. It's got 11.5' ceilings so I can fit my lift.

If they accept the offer, I'd need to finish the garage which is just what I want. I would do the expoxy paint on the floor again.

I've learned alot from the comments everyone makes and I appreciate it!

Bob K.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

11.5 feet is kinda short. If the lift is an older dtyle with no cross over tower (true clear floor) then itll work. With a true clear floor lift with the cross over above, they are ussually 12-12.5 feet. My shop is 40x60 with an 800 sq ft up stairs across the back. Its 16 ft at the eves, 23 in the center. I have one new lift and one old. The old lift would work almost anywhere, but it runs the chain across the floor under a steel plate cover.

I have my 4x4 dually ram 3500 on my new lift rt now....booo, broke the nv5600.

Two best things in the shop......the champion 5000 swap cooler on the roof. I borrowed a man lift to hoist it up there. And the water fountain.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

The ceiling in my shop is 12'4" and too short for an open floor lift.

The top of the car almost hits the florescent lamps attached directly to the ceiling with my Trans AM or CTS-V at full lift. I certanly can't lift my Mazda CX7 or my F250 to full extension.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
MANY times I wish I had a urinal as well, vs. having to clean off just to go in the house to take a ****. I would going to put one of those saloon doors on the wall, so non of my neighbors could see me ****, lol.

Simple fix, get a hose and a funnel, drill a hole in the wall to stick the hose out of, secure the funnel to the wall at your preferred height, and pee away! Pee funnel ftw!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody got any good links on the LED lighting? It's not very easy to find good reliable information about it online since the internet is flooded with generic LED products and websites.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1320
11.5 feet is kinda short.
My lift is a Mohawk A7. It has adjustable lines that I can install over the trusses. I need to drill the floor to figure out how deep the concrete is.

Bob K.

Quick Reply: What mods to your garage do you love/hate/wish you had done?