Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Rusty Craftsman Set

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Craftsman Set

I have one of those big craftsman ratchet/wrench sets that come in the plastic box.

For some reason everything got covered in rust on the inside(I got them from my dad). If I take them back to sears will they replace them?

If not, what is the best way to clean them? I've seen something about soaking them in ATF and Paint thinner, but I would prefer a new set
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Dunno if theyll replace but soak um in a tub of clr overnite was with water and coat in wd40 and wipe dry
Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try soaking aluminum foil in water and then and try to rub it out with it. I cleaned up a chrome mongoose bike once that had surface rust on it using this method...turned out great.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Depends on who you get. I used to work in the Sears too department. If they are just rusty, then they still work you just nelelcted them and they can be clean up. However, if you ask and they say no, just ask for a manager and start making a scene, management will cave almost everytime. It's the whole customer satisfaction thing. I'd try cleaning them like mentioned above. Sounds like just surface rust.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on how old they are. I'd rather have an old rusty craftsman set than the newer lesser quality stuff. the new stuff does seem to corrode pretty quickly though.

Try soaking it in WD40 or similar then wiping them down w/ a fine scotch brite.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also would avoid trading them in, oil them down with a bit of wd40 and use as is. If you trade them in you will probably end up with at least some china made stuff which my have nicer chrome now, but it doesn`t seem to be as durable as the older craftsman stuff.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in 93 I had a tool box with a complete craftsman set in my car when it caught on fire. I asked the guy working at sears about it, he said yes even if they had been in a fire they would exchange them for new. Well when I brought the tools in, that guy wasnt working that day & they refused to do anything. I was so mad for 2 reasons: the employee that said I could bring them in & they said no, & everywhere in the tools section theres signs that say GUARANTEED FOREVER. When I asked them about this they couldnt give me an answer & got irrate, told me to leave or they were gonna call the cops. I made some phone calls, one was the sears tower so after a few days I was notified that I could bring my stuff in & they finally did give me new tools.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont trade them in unless you want china made tools. i used craftsman for years but since the switched from usa to china quality went way down i now have a snapon set, back to problem free work days

Quick Reply: Rusty Craftsman Set