Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Hand Laid carbon fiber...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Hand Laid carbon fiber...

Anybody on here do any before in a DIY manner?

Trying to do a few things on the side for fun at home and also to build my skills/understanding of current popular materials as an engineering student. Looking at getting into the Formula SAE team this next year and it might be nice to have this up my sleeve.

I've also looked at this for doing a custom mold of an intake plenum for my 3800 using an Aussie lower intake manifold and a flange, haven't really drawn anything out, just looking at options. This could help cut down on heat soak and maybe I could devise one that is sturdy enough to handle a forced induction application.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im an engineering student as well, I made a seat mold for my dragster. Was alot of fun and learned alot, I used a carbon kelvar fabric. A seat mold is really simple but it taught me alot, got the basics down.

I had a similar idea too. I want to make an air box that will bolt to ITBs, do air bells and all. I say go for it, learn as you go you know, if you've had your manufacturing class you prolly have a good idea about constructing a mold.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't gotten to that, might be in it next semester.

I'm actually pretty excited to get finished with the plug n' chug math classes so I can get into the more enjoyable stuff that is challenging on a different level.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did it before "in a past life"; I've since sold all my equipment (kicking myself in the *** for this!).

It's not super hard, but the cost for a proper setup and the first few "failure" attempts is slightly painful.

Most CF needs to be either Autoclaved, and/or Vacuum bagged. This is where your initial investment is going to come. A vacuum pump and the bag material/framework/etc.

The reason it needs that type of cure is because CF/Kevlar is done using Epoxy Resin, not Polyester Resin (like Fiberglass). It has a longer working time, but to get the proper fiber/resin ratio, it needs to be vacuum bagged at a minimum.

Overlays are relatively easy, hardest part is getting the weave to stay nicely. This is nothing but a practice, practice, practice thing.

If you're going to get into molding things; the molds are made from Fiberglass (cheaper by a long shot) and polyester resin. Molds are nice from the fact that once you have a mold you can make however many you want, and it gives you a real good surface to seal the bag to.

Do some research for DIY carbon fiber layups and Vacuum bagging (TONS of info here on Google, that's where I got all my how-to info). You might be able to find someone getting rid of a used Vacuum pump for cheap, I suggest keeping an eye on ebay and craigslist (I suggest this as a new one can be $$$).

Otherwise, grab the materials and go play, best way to learn. But it will cost some $$ to play and learn. (As a cheaper alternative, learn with Fiberglass Cloth and Epoxy resin instead of CF cloth, it can save you some $$ while you figure out how to do it all).
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Teching In

this is awesome, let me know if you follow through with this!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was so fortunate that Western Washington Univeristy's engineering program was VERY hands-on, and that we had a small FSAE team so each team member was involved in all aspects of the car. Concept, design, manual/CNC machining, engine tuning, sheetmetal fab and plenty of composite experience! I always found composites fun and challenging in every aspect!

I agree with 97Formula, start smaller and cheaper. Beginning with fiberglass and polyester resin handlay is an excellent first step. For 1/10 the material cost you get near the performance and all the experience! Also find several good books or DVD series to learn the science and art. AND if you must have that "cool carbon fiber look" a little dark die to the resin and you will fool nearly all the chumps into thinking you are a CF master!

My biggest word of advice, jump into FSAE with both feet! All the reading, studying, testing and classes in the world will not teach you what the hands-on experience of building a car from nothing can. And you will never forget the pride of seeing a car you helped build compete on the track! Oh I am excited for you! Go have FUN!

Oh, and lose that 3.8 and get a 5.7 in that F-body!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Launching!

My air cleaner was made with a two-piece mold that was placed in a press. Option for small parts in lieu of vacuum bagging.

An intake sounds pretty challenging for a first attempt. You'll want a resin specific for higher temperatures.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Teching In

i looked into it, but you're right - the initial investment is a hard hurdle to swallow up front
Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Epoxy resin is only required for nomex honeycomb core . If you are using vacuum bagable coremat or divinicell foam you use 411-350 and 470-300 derakane momentum " vynilester resin. Pm me if you need any more info. I work with hand laid carbon on a daily basis
Beaudacious
Old 03-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

It’s good to hear that there is more hands on in school than when I finished my mechanical degree. I’ve been in advanced composites for over 25 years. When I got into it almost all of the people got their composites knowledge working in industry. I was hired because of a background in Corvette body repair before completing school. Our stuff usually is not “pretty” because the optimum fiber volumes for structural properties look “dry” compared to parts where the fiber looks like it’s buried under a mile of clear.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Anybody on here do any before in a DIY manner?

Trying to do a few things on the side for fun at home and also to build my skills/understanding of current popular materials as an engineering student. Looking at getting into the Formula SAE team this next year and it might be nice to have this up my sleeve.

I've also looked at this for doing a custom mold of an intake plenum for my 3800 using an Aussie lower intake manifold and a flange, haven't really drawn anything out, just looking at options. This could help cut down on heat soak and maybe I could devise one that is sturdy enough to handle a forced induction application.
Where do you go to school? My university has a Formula SAE team as well but I'm not sure if I'd like it too much. Being the advisor is a DB
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Restricted User

A good friend of mine has already done carbon for folks here as well as a lot of other cars such as R8, GT-R, etc. I had him do a lot of parts in my old C6 as well. Email tom@g3carbon.com
http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/g3...?sort=6&page=1

Quick Reply: Hand Laid carbon fiber...