Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Built my own ramps

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built my own ramps

I decided to build some full length ramps because out side my garage is a slight slope and Im going to need to change out my trans. i know i need to get it on jack stands but at least i have room to get under to place stands all at once. and i can do maintenance on all my cars with out jacking 20 times haha.

total height is 12"

used 2x12's for the top and bottom.

length of "usable" surface is 11'

ramps are getting done tomorrow so ill finish this post then, I had to do some errands which took up my building time.

this picture was mid process so the platform on its side isnt screwed together yet, i put plywood on the sides to make it a little more rigid and clean it up a bit.

The ramp will have a support coming down into that "hole" to orientate it and "lock" it in place (pictured below)

added some handles so i can move them easier and stack them to the side when not in use.

more to come tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

ok so almost done, a couple more tweaks and ill be set. with the uneven driveway I need some more bracing on the ramps to prevent any flex.

heres the ramps and tested

had to test it on the jeep first, and to see if its too tall for the jeep to fit in the garage

Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great work ,and you can drive a vette up them .
Old 09-01-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

thanks, i just need to stiffen/brace the actual ramp part, they flexed and scratched the bottom of the vette but nothing too bad, just got to tweak them before theyre finished.

thanks again

I was thinking of fastening a 2x4 on each side of the ramp length wise to try and stiffen it. just dont know if that will help at all. its just with the "stilt" support with the uneven driveway since i cant guarantee the same placement every time. sometimes they allow the ramp to dip enough to lift the top of the ramp to touch the vette on its way up.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

oh and dont judge the uneven parking on the ramp since my wife directed me... haha
Old 09-01-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

I'm totally doing this! Thanks for the post man!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
I'm totally doing this! Thanks for the post man!
thanks! the hardest part was bearing the heat of texas during the day to complete this. and i needed to buy a circular saw, total cost was about $250 in building material.

not bad imo.

im also thinking about throwing up some 2x4's on the platform sides so that 1/2" is sticking up to help "guide" the car up the ramp. especially since the Mrs. kinda left me lopsided haha
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sick_tight
thanks! the hardest part was bearing the heat of texas during the day to complete this. and i needed to buy a circular saw, total cost was about $250 in building material.

not bad imo.

im also thinking about throwing up some 2x4's on the platform sides so that 1/2" is sticking up to help "guide" the car up the ramp. especially since the Mrs. kinda left me lopsided haha
Post pics when you're done! I literally bought the wood two hours ago lol!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
Post pics when you're done! I literally bought the wood two hours ago lol!
haha, nice. ill definitely post up some pics. I havent worked on it at all after i built the ramps, i spent 2 days roasting in the garage to get them where theyre at and i wanted to enjoy a couple days of my weekend.

i need to get a better jack though so i can lift the car off the ramps for my trans swap (i have the cheapo walmart one) but luckily ive got a harbor frieght right down the street from me.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Nice diy! I use Takata LDS ramps because my garage is tight
Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Great Job man. Plenty of space under there.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mean to rain in your parade OP and no disrespect is intended, maybe my suggestion can save someone a little work.

I came up with these after got tired of setting up and storage space required to use drive up ramps, there are three different height option by flipping to the sides. Use under tire contact patch, cross frame sub assembly or frame rail:

Cheaper way would be bolting together a stack of 2x12's to accomplish the same as with my welded set.

---

This set is for multi car use. Very simple to set up as the car sits all without major commitment to space requirements and such. To use on my Vette, I use floor jack under shipping slot, directly behind either left/right front wheel. Raise one side then the other to install front/rear stands under tire contact patch - 2 times and the whole car is up - can be as high as 24" if needed be. When done, the set requires a small foot print to store and by placing a sheet of 2' x 3' x 3/8" thick T6 on top, it serves as a solid base for a welding/layout table.

Hope this is helpful to someone!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

i love the idea of full length drive up ramps like those. they would just take up so much valuable space in my already stuffed garage!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here.

Two car garage: motorcycle, machine/welding shop and gym all in one:

I had a short glimpsing vision to make one similar to the many steel welded up versions new car dealers have here to display new cars.

Common sense prevailed and ended up with the above compact design. Just raise car up where it sits vertically to any of the 3 heights, slide in the stands and good to go. And need only small foot print to store in/out door:

Using the 3/8" thk. aluminum plate @ the left upper corner on top of the stands serves as a portable welding/layout table.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more importantly, you have a sweet conveyor belt there.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of those designs were creative. I have seen quite a few of these home made ramps, and I definately think it would be handy to have some. You guys have my brain going...They look handy and I'm sure they are plenty functional!!

-Garrett
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Nicely done. Simple. that should make getting under your car a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Built my own ramps