Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

My jack is going to be the death of me (Literally), know jacks? Please step inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My jack is going to be the death of me (Literally), know jacks? Please step inside

Lately I've noticed my Torin (I think?) jack creeping down slowly accompanied by a creaking sound. I decided to open what I thought was the fill port (Hex headed plug) and noticed a spring and a ball which I assume is to act as a check valve. Anyway after doing this when I pump the jack it will lift the pad but go right back down. The handle valve is completely closed. If I pull the pad fully up it will stop half way and support my weight. if I pump handle it will raise and lower to the height it was prior to me pumping the handle. I then decided to see what was under the two other ports. The flathead port had another flathead plug inside it which compresses a spring. the hex headed plug appears to be a pressure relief valve of some sort. So it appears everything is in place however I cannot find any docs on this particular jack. I'm sure this is something easy that I'm missing but any help would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I know once you mess with the check valves it very hard to get them to work right again. There should be a fill plug (usually rubber) on the body of the jack. that's the only port that should be opened. I just went through this with my 3 ton Sears floor jack. I about did the same thing as you, but stopped and googled it..lol I topped off the fluid level from the fill port and the jack works like new.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

This jack doesn't have one particular fill valve. It has a box type reservoir and those 3 plus are the only accessible items.

Dave
Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I fixed the issue. Turns out a checkball somehow moved aside of its port. Now I'm noticing that after each pump the lift plate will drop a small amount. It is steady at that level but as I finish my pump the plate drops a slight bit. This happens each pump.
Dave
Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We are talking about your LIFE. Buy a new jack.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blown06
We are talking about your LIFE. Buy a new jack.
That's not very helpful but in reality the jack is to lift and jack stands are about your life. Your brakes are about your life and hundreds of others around you. You don't replace a caliper always when you have an issue, you rebuild it. That's a device you actually put your life on the line for unless you are misusing you jack. So does anyone else have any idea why the pad retracts a tad at the peak of each pump?

Dave

Last edited by TT_Vert; 05-09-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: `
Old 05-09-2014, 11:55 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...cause you don't crawl under the car supported by the jack to place the jack stands...........

It's cool dude. I don't know you so carry on.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have any jack knowledge?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from just the pad slightly lowering before the jack hydraulically locks after a pump, i would look at the spring'd pump check valve my guess is it's not seating immediately after a pump possibly because of a weak spring or the spring and ball isn't seated properly. when you pump the handle, the small cylinder forces fluid into big cylinder and it flows through a ball check valve under spring pressure, so look for that circuit. it would be different from the relief valve that lets the jack down when you turn the angle or external valve ccw to open.

Quick Reply: My jack is going to be the death of me (Literally), know jacks? Please step inside