Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

M18 Fuel impact?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default M18 Fuel impact?

Hey all! So if you've looked at any of my recent threads I now own a house and again have a garage that I can use however I want whenever I want. That being said I'm getting ready to do the suspension on my Camaro. I was originally planning on getting that nice 26 gallon quincy compressor to run an air impact (and really nothing else at least in the near future), but I haven't ran a 220v outlet in the garage yet. So that brings me to my current impasse: I'm going to need an impact wrench for this most likely.

I'm leaning towards picking up an m18 fuel 1/2" impact from Northern tool this week, the guys over on garagejournal rave about it and wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with it? Does it really have enough umpf? Is it so heavy I'll hate it? Will I end up not even wanting a compressor? Is there someone with a coupon?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never gone to the M18 as of yet, however I have many other mechanic friends that do nothing but hail the M18 and say it's the most amazing thing they've owned. From the amount of my friends that have said that I would have no issues purchasing one VS buying a compressor.

Yes they are stupid powerful.

As for not wanting a compressor that's your call. There are many air tools out there that you mine want in the future but you could do without one for now.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67Lark
I've never gone to the M18 as of yet, however I have many other mechanic friends that do nothing but hail the M18 and say it's the most amazing thing they've owned. From the amount of my friends that have said that I would have no issues purchasing one VS buying a compressor.

Yes they are stupid powerful.

As for not wanting a compressor that's your call. There are many air tools out there that you mine want in the future but you could do without one for now.
Agreed. The garage is too small for a blast cabinet and I don't intend to paint so for now at least I'm thinking the fuel impact and maybe a fuel ratchet down the road will keep me pretty content, but I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

And to be honest, I have a 35 gallon compressor and my big IR impact that I had for work will run that compressor down to 100 psi in a matter of seconds. Now granted I doubt you will be buying the biggest and baddest air tools like I used to do since I used them every day, but when it drains the tank that fast it's almost not worth having. Unless you need lots of power but only for short bursts.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I used to have a 30 gallon craftsman at my parents and I used to run that thing dry pretty quick. As much as I fancy myself a hardcore racecar mechanic I don't know that it's worthwhile for me to stuff an 80 gallon stationary compressor in the garage corner.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Since I quit wrenching full time and now I am multi-unit management or corporate trainer (depending on the week haha but hopefully soon just a single unit manager and corporate trainer)

I have thought about getting a larger compressor but in a couple years when I buy a new house I'm going to hate myself having to move it and might just wait until then.

I've made it this long with just the little one I'm sure I can hold out a little longer.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned a regular M18 1/2 inch impact for over 6 years. The brushes were replaced in year 4. Due to them showing signs of wear. It was repaired at no cost to me, no questions asked. But something worth noting, it was used on a daily basis in a shop. It was used on suspension, brakes, tires, anything you could think of. I don't own a Fuel (brushless) M18 but have used both the 1/2 & 3/8 M18 models on several occasions. They're another whole other animal. I even removed wheels on a F250 with the M18 3/8 Fuel impact. I'm good friends with 2 shop owners & they both have the M18 Fuel 1/2 for daily shop use. If my regular M18 1/2 impact takes a crap I'm getting the Fuel model. I rarely have to break out my Snap On MG725 pneumatic impact. Or any of my other pneumatic tools for that matter. I have several cordless M12 & M18 Milwaukee tools. My M18 blew away my 20V Dewalt tools. So I gave them away. My Milwaukee cordless tools have been the best tool investment I've ever made. I highly recommend getting the M12 3/8 ratchet too. It's my #1 go to cordless tool. Now you can even track the one key models. It even works without a battery installed. Buy the Fuel you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If go the pneumatic route buy a Flexzilla hose. It holds more volume than majority of other hoses while weighing much lighter. Flexzilla hoses don't kink. They also have special billet splices that repairs hose when it's cut. I'd you use a Flexzilla hose you'll never want a regular hose again.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nismo Kid
I've owned a regular M18 1/2 inch impact for over 6 years. The brushes were replaced in year 4. Due to them showing signs of wear. It was repaired at no cost to me, no questions asked. But something worth noting, it was used on a daily basis in a shop. It was used on suspension, brakes, tires, anything you could think of. I don't own a Fuel (brushless) M18 but have used both the 1/2 & 3/8 M18 models on several occasions. They're another whole other animal. I even removed wheels on a F250 with the M18 3/8 Fuel impact. I'm good friends with 2 shop owners & they both have the M18 Fuel 1/2 for daily shop use. If my regular M18 1/2 impact takes a crap I'm getting the Fuel model. I rarely have to break out my Snap On MG725 pneumatic impact. Or any of my other pneumatic tools for that matter. I have several cordless M12 & M18 Milwaukee tools. My M18 blew away my 20V Dewalt tools. So I gave them away. My Milwaukee cordless tools have been the best tool investment I've ever made. I highly recommend getting the M12 3/8 ratchet too. It's my #1 go to cordless tool. Now you can even track the one key models. It even works without a battery installed. Buy the Fuel you won't be disappointed.
I was eyeballing the electric ratchet too. I'm going to pull the trigger this week, I have yet to see something really negative with the milwaukee gear.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a regular M18 1/2" for my own shenanigans. It was actually one I used when I worked in coal mines. The motor burnt out after a lot of use and abuse so I got it repaired. It has taken all i've put it through in stride. If there are any bolts on your car you couldn't manage to get off with the 1/2", you might as well break out a torch.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Teching In

The m18 Fuel is a damn beast. The brushless motor was the winning feature that convinced me to get it. I killed 3 of the crazy expensive snapon batteries and then went Milwaukee and haven't looked back.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

I have a plethora of M12 and M18 tools. I bought my son the Fuel Impact 1/2" when he started at the dealership I work at. That sumbitch is wicked. Some of the techs would borrow it when doing ***** joints and such when their $1400 air impacts would struggle with ****. One of our techs has the 3/8" version and easily rips off lugnuts and whatever else he needs. I'm currently waiting on my 3/8ths to come in. I just picked up the M12 1/4" ratchet last week. It's pretty good. Not exactly a torque monster but great for LS intake bolts and such.

My others are the drills, drivers, saws, etc. All great tools plus the best warranties in the business.

If you get the 5.0 batteries, it'll make any 18 series a monster.

But I still use air quite a but due to tools being more compact in tighter spots. Like 3/8 air ratchet vs electric with a big battery pack on the bottom of it.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SAPPER
I have a plethora of M12 and M18 tools. I bought my son the Fuel Impact 1/2" when he started at the dealership I work at. That sumbitch is wicked. Some of the techs would borrow it when doing ***** joints and such when their $1400 air impacts would struggle with ****. One of our techs has the 3/8" version and easily rips off lugnuts and whatever else he needs. I'm currently waiting on my 3/8ths to come in. I just picked up the M12 1/4" ratchet last week. It's pretty good. Not exactly a torque monster but great for LS intake bolts and such.

My others are the drills, drivers, saws, etc. All great tools plus the best warranties in the business.

If you get the 5.0 batteries, it'll make any 18 series a monster.

But I still use air quite a but due to tools being more compact in tighter spots. Like 3/8 air ratchet vs electric with a big battery pack on the bottom of it.

You must work at a truck shop and those 1/2" are really 1" guns and work with guys who spend as much money as possible on tools because I've never in my life seen a $1400 1/2" air impact. $600 sure but not $1400.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is actually making me wonder if I should go with a 3/8" instead, my Camaro is from Cali so rust isn't really an issue. My jeep on the other hand is a true midwest car....In reality I'm guessing the 3/8" would be "enough", but I love the idea of not worrying about a stuck bolt with the 1/2"
Old 06-22-2016, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

More is always better. . . . .
Old 06-22-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

The 3/8 is a little easier to handle. The 1/2" will wear your *** out in a hurry and is cumbersome under the car. But the 3/8" will do the job of a MAC or Snap-on 1/2" easily.

Milwaukee got their **** together on these tools. But you will want the 4.0 or 5.0 batteries for the most effort and long lasting durations. My sons with a 5.0 in it is a freeking monster. Once he had a 3/4 ton DMax lug that wouldn't come off and it snapped the stud with almost no effort. So if you're gonna use it to tighten lugs, I HIGHLY recommend investing in torque sticks.

Last edited by SAPPER; 06-22-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67Lark
More is always better. . . . .
pretty much how I buy most of my stuff. I can always get a 3/8" later

Originally Posted by SAPPER
The 3/8 is a little easier to handle. The 1/2" will wear your *** out in a hurry and is cumbersome under the car. But the 3/8" will do the job of a MAC or Snap-on 1/2" easily.

Milwaukee got their **** together on these tools. But you will want the 4.0 or 5.0 batteries for the most effort and long lasting durations. My sons with a 5.0 in it is a freeking monster. Once he had a 3/4 ton DMax lug that wouldn't come off and it snapped the stud with almost no effort. So if you're gonna use it to tighten lugs, I HIGHLY recommend investing in torque sticks.
I won't be tightening lugs with it. Torque wrench only, I had a bad experience once.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

M18 Fuel is win in all categories...
Old 06-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
This is actually making me wonder if I should go with a 3/8" instead, my Camaro is from Cali so rust isn't really an issue. My jeep on the other hand is a true midwest car....In reality I'm guessing the 3/8" would be "enough", but I love the idea of not worrying about a stuck bolt with the 1/2"
My general rule is anything above like 12mm gets the 1/2". I'd rather have the bigger impact just zip it out than put stress on the little one even if it's in the torque range. Both are awesome though. My best friend got the 3/8" driver for Christmas from his future wife and for small trim pieces and such there is no equal.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

hell yes to the m18 fuel stuff. i was so impressed with it at work I sold all my dewalt crap. just make sure to get the fuel stuff. the regular stuff aint the same.

Quick Reply: M18 Fuel impact?