Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Homemade Engine test stand works!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Homemade Engine test stand works!

Made this from scratch. Maybe $300 invested in tubing, HF engine stand, rad, Tach and Volt gauge + ABS, ebay racing switch panel. All the stewart warner gauges are left overs from my other projects. The stand is fully adjustable in every direction for ANY engine combo. It also allows the legs to move out of the way and you can work on the engine while its on the stand (flip it 360*) if you need to do something. Fuel system is a gas can with a stock 91 TPI fuel pump and rubber line using left over AN fittings. Running a stock 99/00 PCM with Hp tuners.

$100 in tubing
$45 HF 1000lb engine stand
$60 in the rad
$60 HF in casters (2 swivel and 2 solid)
$30 tach and volt gauge
$10 teflon coated 1" bolts and nuts

Anyways... she runs and the engine is a 1999 5.3 unknown mileage (lots of sludge inside). Used LQ9 6.0 cam, cloyes LS2 chain, melling 295 oil pump and fbody oil pan. Cheap oil and filter with motor oil cleaner to get the sludge out. The flexplate looks wobbly as **** lol... so that will be replaced. But its nice to test on stand where I found the #7 injector stuck open (led to hydrolock while cranking) and leaking fuel rail ends. New injectors and rails and we are running. Its setup on a enhanced 1Bar MAF OS but dont have the MAF hooked up as I'm running a SD harness I made (my dad still needs to convert his MAF harness to standalone) for another project.

Next I test my JY 5.3 for vitals and cleaning the oil. Then tear apart for a cam swap and pan swap etc. It comes apart fully as well and the HF engine stand becomes an untouched engine stand for something else if needed.

I can try to get better pics of the setup but it was raining out and didn't want to fully pull it out (also cold out).

Old 02-28-2018, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 196 Likes on 157 Posts

Very nicely done and I wish somebody around here had one. Seriously, you could patent that.

Rick
Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I thought about charging people to possibly test engines /break them in but not sure how I could do that. Everyone I know I wouldn’t charge lol but most people want Dyno numbers yadda yadda. Also bringing random people to my home or meeting them at there’s is a significatant safety issue lol. It’s nothing special or that innovative but it will work for my application and anything I could throw at it.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see this! Me and my dad were talking the other day about building one of these
Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

looks slick as hell. I like it.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I dont have any completed pics of it as we just got a crazy windy noreaster and were about to get slammed with snow starting tonight with another noreaster.

Heres what I got during the build process. It wans't hard to make at all... really only took a day to get most of it all cut ad welded up once I had all the materials. The rad in the pic is used for a ford application but its fully adjustable so any rad can be used. The red part is the HF 1000lb engine test stand which unbolts and can still be assembled as a engine stand when not being used as a test stand.

Given that this is an LS motor the PCM will provide all the engine data via the PCM on my laptop so the tach/water temp/voltage etc isn't really needed... but I wanted it on it for other engines or for starting without the laptop hooked up. Really just need a oil pressure gauge which would be a small gauge on the back of the motor. Test stand works great and hoping to get my fathers 5.3 off and my spare 5.3 on to verify its running before doing a cam swap/chain/and pan.
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Engine test stand works!-img_1081.jpg   Homemade Engine test stand works!-img_3039.jpg   Homemade Engine test stand works!-img_1963-2.jpg   Homemade Engine test stand works!-img_6818.jpg   Homemade Engine test stand works!-img_2030.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (09-04-2023)
Old 03-14-2018, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Very nicely done and I wish somebody around here had one. Seriously, you could patent that.

Rick
I'm gonna have to build me one......just gotta throw my pile of parts together first!!!!!!!! Lol ........looks awesome if I can only figure out my damn factory harness I'd have an awsome use for it!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. It’s pretty easy if you use a Engine stand as the back support. Then your just building a frame to hold it all together. An annoying part was also the casters. Our Engine hoists are about 6-7” in height off the ground for the legs... so in order to have the legs go under the test stand it had to be higher than that. Not many 6”+ casters that can handle the weight that don’t break the bank. Ended up using some $20 each HF specials. They support 600+lbs each so it’s more than enough. Took me about 1-1.5wks to build if I put all my time together into 8hr shifts. That’s including all the wiring etc. I had already had a converted LS stand-alone so it just dropped on.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I made mine from free scrap steel and got a deal on a Holley Terminator efi system off ebay for $600 complete with fuel system and distributor
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Terminator-Fuel-Injection-Chevy/332561149508?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m2749.l2649 ) ,
I kept the HP ecu and fuel system that came with the it and sold the rest for $600,

I bought a used ls1 harness from a member for $200 and a new ebay fuel cell for $119 https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-15-Gall...53.m2749.l2649

and a new previously opened aluminum radiator from ebay for $60 https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-row-alumi...53.m2749.l2649

Used laptop for $50, So in the end I have $419 in the whole setup. Perfect setup to test my $80 5.3 core engine that really only had 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts.

I have a little more in the rest of the parts on the engine lol.
I'll have video as soon as I get my radiator mounted to my run stand.

The following 2 users liked this post by LLLosingit:
n2xlr8n66 (07-21-2021), streetperf (01-19-2020)