Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

How do I choose the right garage Air Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I choose the right garage Air Compressor?

I will want to run the usual, 3/8 ratchet, 1/2 impact, air drill, shears, etc.

I only have 110. I would like a little more compressor than I need but not excessively.

Should I go 240v?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

You can get a decent 175psi compressor that's 110 from Sears for about $375. Join the Craftsman club, I think they're on sale this month. The one I'm talking about is the black one, not the red one.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:45 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 30 gallon 150psi craftsman model and for a little more money, if I had to do it again, I'd get a 60 gallon oil compressor. It's got twice the capacity (longer runs between kicking back on) and it is much quieter that the oiless units.

And it's only about another $150 to boot....
Old 09-23-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider for a moment using nitrogen in bottles.

I was amazed at how long a large bottle lasted, filling dozens of sets of tires and using a gun to change said tires. And the gas is dirt cheap.

I have a 130 cubic foot bottle (the size used for most smaller MIG welders) and it filled 12 315 race tire (a lot of volume), 15 14" trailer tires and 6 15" trailer tires. And it costs About $10 for a refill. When empty, I can throw the bottle in the back of my truck and stop by the welding supply place on my way home from work.

Get 3 bottles and a regulator and you are set. When 2 get empty, open the 3rd and take the 2 back for a refill when you get a chance. Rotate them in ...

No wiring, no electric bill, no moisture ... it' something to consider ...
Old 09-24-2004, 09:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Hey mitchntx that's pretty cool, I gotta remember that for future ref!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I have a 30 gallon 150psi craftsman model and for a little more money, if I had to do it again, I'd get a 60 gallon oil compressor. It's got twice the capacity (longer runs between kicking back on) and it is much quieter that the oiless units.

And it's only about another $150 to boot....
another vote on a oil compressor. i have some freinds that bought those oil less intergraded compressors and they make too much freeking noise. espescially in a garage.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes. My 27 gal works fine but its Always on and it is WAY to louad!!!!!!!!!!!!! But then again I guess I cant complain because My fiance just showed up at home with it one day and was like "would this help you?"

She had bought me the 27 Gal 150 PSI compressor
1/2 gun
3/8 ratchet
3/8 gun
and 1/4 ratchet

Thats when I knew I was marrying the right girl.

Of course I used to have all this and more when I was a mechanic but I sold it all to pay for college back in the day!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Banned

would a 5hp or 6hp, 60 gallon, 175psi handle most jobs?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes. That is more than suficent for your home garage. What you really should be looking at is CFM.

ie my compressor does 5.5 cfm @ 90psi or 6.8 @ 40 psi

most common pneumatic tools (not a sander) require 90 psi and 5 - 6 Cfm depending on the power of the tool. Beyond that, the larger the tank, the more continuosly you can use the tool. THis is all assuming that your running only 1 tool at a time of course. (ie: you cant use you compressor to pressureize the cylinder while changing the springs and use your 3/8 gun or something, other wise you may run low on pressure and drop a valve)
Old 09-28-2004, 05:37 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, I gotta admit, the oil-less compressor is pretty frickin loud. I used mine during my cam swap Sunday in my mother's tiny town house garage, and after a few hours I started twitchin every time it kicked on. When I bought it 2 years ago, the guy at Sears said it was so quiet that you could run it in your living room...yea maybe if you live in a war zone, ha ha.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How often will the air compresser be used?
If it's going to be used like every weekend most of the time and sometimes a few days during the week like I do, I'd suggest getting 220V oiled type air compressor.

I use these tools most of the time:
3/8 rachet
350 ft lbs impact gun
air gun
sometimes nail gun
tire filling fitting

and my compressor is made in 1984, oiled type, still running. First time my uncle heard it run when I was doing tire rotation, trans fluid change, he said it's much quieter than his recently brought sears 20 or 30 gal compressor.

it's in a 20 x 20 garage with a concrete floor, with the garage door closed and standing at least 10 ft away from the outside of the garage, you can't hear it running. I would say it's quiet as a stock F-body without a cutout.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
How often will the air compresser be used?
If it's going to be used like every weekend most of the time and sometimes a few days during the week like I do, I'd suggest getting 220V oiled type air compressor.

I use these tools most of the time:
3/8 rachet
350 ft lbs impact gun
air gun
sometimes nail gun
tire filling fitting

and my compressor is made in 1984, oiled type, still running. First time my uncle heard it run when I was doing tire rotation, trans fluid change, he said it's much quieter than his recently brought sears 20 or 30 gal compressor.

it's in a 20 x 20 garage with a concrete floor, with the garage door closed and standing at least 10 ft away from the outside of the garage, you can't hear it running. I would say it's quiet as a stock F-body without a cutout.
that's a pretty accurate description of how I'd use it, 3-4 times a week.

I don't have 220, any idea on what that runs to get wired up?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moregrip
that's a pretty accurate description of how I'd use it, 3-4 times a week.

I don't have 220, any idea on what that runs to get wired up?
I don't know what it'd cost you to get the 220V wired up, it varies from county to county and from state to state

Think about this, they're going to install 2 circuit breakers at the main circuit box (the one which is directly connected to the power line going to your house) and run a heavy gauge wire from there to the compressor itself.
Depending how long it has to be, if it's going to go outside to a seperate garage or not, through walls or just across the basement and to comply with the regulation to the town housing laws is what's going to have a factor in the cost.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 6hp 20 gallon that i hooked another 10 gallon tank upto..... ran all day today while porting things out and never got below 40psi using a full sized diegrinder

Quick Reply: How do I choose the right garage Air Compressor?