Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

tools

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tools

Hey everyone im new here. Im going to UTI right now and wanted to start buying some tools, since i get good deals on them while im in school. What tools, gauges, etc would i need when i start at a business. So far i have a 151 piece Craftsman set along with extentions,breaker bars, screwdrivers,nut drivers, and thats about it. I know ill probably need a Leak down gauge and a vacuum gauge, and ill proably get some ratcheting wrenches. What else can you think of that ill need?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2 impact 3/8 air ratchet evenually a 1/4 air ratchet and 3/8 impact. scrapers, pliers, soldering gun, multimeter, drill, 4 pound sledge, chisels, punches, hook and pick set, compression tester, spark tester, good set of combination wrenches (I highly recommend the Craftsman professional combination wrenches look and feel alot like snap on at a lower price.) inch pound (20 to 200 in lbs) and foot pound (20-250ft lbs) torque wrench, a set of torque sticks ( I would get the extension type that way you don't have to buy as many). test light, make you some jumper wires for your multimeter 2ft and 12ft with aligator clips on each end. ohm them out and make sure that there is 0 ohms of resistance. they will really help you out as you can use the battery as a ground or power source depending on which side of the circuit you are testing. I'd go craftsman all the way except on the air tools and torque wrenches. If you get somewhere where you use torque wrenchs alot then you should get a matco or snap on (matco will give you 52% off as a student). on the air tools go ingersoll rand all the way. on a multimeter I know most guys get flukes but they are expensive I got a craftsman for $30 (on sale for $20 right now) that has every feature you'll need and is very small I recommend it. By the way if you look on the back of a snap on meter its made in korea the craftman is made in china. heres a link to it.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=03482139000
Old 10-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Banned

What job do you think your gonna get? If your just gonna change oil a leak down gauge isn't needed, infact i've never used one, wish I had one time to time.

You will need snap on screwdriver set, snap on racheting screw driver. Makita 9.6 3/8 electric impact. You have sockets, but pick up set of snap on 3/8 semi deep impact sockets.

Course get 1/2 Ingersoll 231 impact and Ingersoll 3/8 impact. You dont' need a 3/8 air rachet, I never use mine. Don't buy snap on air tools, they suck and are over priced.

The only gauges a newbie really needs is nice vernier caliper (checking rotors and fastener sizes) and thread gauge. Set of thread chasers are always good too.

Vacuum gauge is important, you really need a mity vac though, rarely do I use a vacuum gauge. Checking EGR diaphrams and evap VSVs is done regularly.

You won't need a DVOM first day you walk in. You will need a good 12v test light.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

I don't see the need for the 3/8 cordless impact. I don't use a screwdriver enough to make it worth the cost of a snap on set. I bought all Craftsman except my IR 2135Ti to start off. I still only have 3 tools from snap on and 2 from matco. I work on GM vehicles only at Draper Motor Company and do almost everything you can thing except diesels and trannys (although I do have some instances with them). I've never had a problem with craftsman stuff save your money if you break it then replace it with snap on otherwise stick with craftsman. I used a 1/2 drive craftman ratchet with a pipe on it to break loose a harmonic balancer bolt on a Duramax and its still just fine I even took off the cover and looked at the gears inside and everything is a good as it was from the factory. The professional series stuff is really nice I think that its about the best bang for buck in tools
Old 10-02-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Go to www.harborfreight.com

You need one of everything they sell.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I agree with the snap-on screwdrivers, you only need the set of 5, 2 phillips and 3 slotted. the ting is they rarely strip screws compared at craftsmen. Its when you strip a molding screw on a ireplacable part the extra expence pays off.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Go to www.harborfreight.com

You need one of everything they sell.
I dont know about everything. but thier ball joint press is the same as a mac tools one, works perfect, the best $30 ive spent in a while. HF's hand tools are a joke, ok to use at home but dont bring to work.
When i first started out, I took out a loan to cash in on my discount. If you can get mac/snap-on at craftsman prices then go for it.
IR impacts are the best.
IMO the mac AR777 is the best 3/8 air ratchet, i got mine for $137 shipped on ebay, brand new in box. retails for $220
Old 10-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
I don't see the need for the 3/8 cordless impact.
The cordless impact has turned into an extension of my arm since the day I started pretty much. I couldn't imagine working without it. When it comes to hand tools I only use snap on, theirs reasons for that. The 8pc. set of snap on screwdrivers $150 is an imperative investment.

I have broke a matco 10mm socket, cracked it and it rounded off a bolt. Granted it was a chrome socket using a cordless impact but i've never damaged a snap on socket (chrome impact or swivel). Guy that works next to me shattered a crapsmen impact socket removing a balancer bolt.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

the brand of hand tool doesn't cause screws and bolts to round off its the user. I've never rounded a bolt that wasn't my fault for doing something stupid like trying to get a socket onto a bellhousing bolt with a wobble and long extension and hitting it with the impact before the sockets on good.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
You dont' need a 3/8 air rachet, I never use mine.
dont need it? I couldnt live without mine. It goes a lot of places that an impact wouldn't.

Quick Reply: tools