Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Too bad we can't get a tool salesman as a sponsor

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Too bad we can't get a tool salesman as a sponsor

Wouldn't it be cool to have an on-line Snap-On/Matco/Mac tool salesman that could do specials for us here on LS1-tech.com.

I'd like a set of Snap-on ratchets.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:25 PM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be sweet...
Old 12-30-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Armageddon
That would be sweet...
Old 12-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Launching!

That would be awesome
Old 12-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

That would be sweet! I'd definitely be in for a lot of stuff.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm, I'm willing to bet someone here has connections...
Old 12-31-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, good call.

Dope
Old 12-31-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll talk to my Snap-on dealer. Art might be able to do somethine for us.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Default Mac Tools: I will be happy to assist any member with a need.

If anyone has a particular tool need or information regarding a tool; then, I will be more than happy to assist you. While Mac Tools and Snap On frown upon sales by a distributor outside their particular area outlined within our contracts, I will be more than happy to contact a distributor in your area.

I will answer your questions honestly about a particular tool and give what I feel is a qualified answer to what I may think is the best. Both Mac Tools and Snap On have dedicated R&D departments and feel we are equal in quality, if not better in some areas, plus we are extremely price competitive.

I have been reading many of the posts over the past year and have learned a great deal from many of you regarding forced air induction systems. I look forward to making a final decision regarding a SC or Turbo this spring for my 2004 LS6 Z06.

Chris Schmidt
Mac Tools
Northwest Georgia
Old 01-01-2005, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Well, since they don't like their salesman selling outside their region what if we where to contact one of the factory reps (I guess they would be district/regional reps or something like that?) I know that with some of the local tech programs factory tool reps will come in and offer the kids tools at dicounted prices, they are not regular truck salesman but they are from snap-on, mac and all the other major companies. That would be pretty cool if we could get discounted tools.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Factory reps.
Mac Tools has government reps dealing prmarily with the military. Snap On has
industrial reps which deal with schools or universities. I, a Mac Tool dealer, have the
opportunity to personally visit the schools, universities and industrial
establishments. The advantage we have is the availability of a loaded Mac Tool
truck for the customer to look through. Tool in hand has proven very successful
for me when dealing with students. You can actually touch the tool and see what
it looks and feels like.

Tech programs.
Mac Tools offers a significant discount for technical students enrolled in a school or university. Simple form filled out with a teachers signature is required detailing name, shipping informatiion and item needed. Item usually arives within 4 days via Fedex air.

Again, I will be happy to contact any distributor in your area or assist you with getting a representative to visit a local school or university. Yes, the discount is very, very nice.

If you call 1-800-MAC Tools, you may ask for a customer rep for a District Manager to contact you; then, the DM will call and give you a name and number of a local distributor.

Chris Schmidt
Mac Tools
Ringgold, Georgia
Old 01-01-2005, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

So I wonder if any of these companies would be intrested in sponsoring a site like this that is full of shade tree mechanics that generally don't have the chance to catch up with a tool truck & resort to going to Sears and Autoparts stores for most of their tools. I know that I would deffinatly be buying all Mac and Snap On if I could even get 10-15% buying directly from the factory. Although, I do know doing something like that would probrably step on the feet of alot of truck salesman.

One of my friends is in a GM Tech program right now and he gets killer discounts from the factory, up to 50% on some items. I was actually looking at getting a box through him since the prices are so good and he's allowed one complete box from each company.

I also buy alot of new Snap-On/Mac/SK tools from ebay at great prices. It looks like a few of the people are actually licenced dealers. Are they really, or are they just getting the tools cheap through somebody and kind of screwing the system?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew
Old 01-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Andrew
Mac Tools would never wholesale discount through a web site. Doing so would be in direct conflict with the distributors located across the country.

As for eBay!!!! I wouldn't be able to quantify the number of distributors selling through eBay; but, I can tell you the company is aware of it and takes action when the distributor may be identified. Yes, some maybe getting the tools from a dealer and selling for a discount.

I can only speak for myself...but, I do regularly discount items when a customer pays cash. It is a simple courtesy for doing so. Others, look upon discounting as a bad practice but I've found many that take advantage of my policy and return many times over for my tools and service.

I've been in business for myself for a number of years, either with Mac or through other arrangements, and have found that a large majority of techs never see a Mac Tool or Snap On truck. It amazes me how many techs tell me..."I never see one of you guys." We do our very best to see as many people as possible but time limits the number of customers we may be able to see. It's unfortunate.

Chris
Old 01-01-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I buy a lot of Snap-On/Mac/Matco on eBay and would MUCH rather save the hasstle and buy directly from you guys if we could get a 10-15% discount.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I hear you Chris. I figured the big companies like Mac had pretty strict policies on how tools are distributed. I bet it would **** off alot of dealers if the company themselves started to distribute online cheaper than what the trucks sell it for.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Teching In

We, the company as a whole, offer a wide variety of items each month which are discounted. There are two sale flyers a month which are loaded with anything from ratchets to tool boxes. The discounts range from 10% to much higher.

I'm sitting here trying to think how best to post these but I'm drawing a blank. If anyone has a suggestion which would make it available; then, I would be more than happy to submit them. Noting the items on sale during a particular month wouldn't be in direct conflict with my contractual agreement.

This upcoming week....I will be in Anaheim, California for our yearly Tool Show and will do a little research regarding this matter.
Anyone....feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you. I've learned a great deal from many of you and would be pleased to return the favor.

Chris
saybye75@charter.net
Old 01-01-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not for nothin guys, I just buy everything on ebay. Snap-On and MAC stuff, brand new, is generally selling for 2/3 of it's normal cost. Stuff like Craftsman is pretty much exactly 1/2 price online vs Sears.

Used stuff is even cheaper. I bought a set of practically brand new 10-19mm flank drive plus snap-on wrenches for like $115 I believe. It was $340 on snap-on's website.

With all the tools I've bought recently, I probably saved $1000 or so.

Dope
Old 01-01-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Technically, Snap On's warranty is void if you buy it from eBay. The trade off is, of course, that the average Snap On piece on eBay is 50% off retail.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, Snap-On'll void your warranty for anything.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/245037-my-rant-year-disgusted-snap.html

I still can't believe their horrible customer service is compared to Craftsman when they charge 5x as much. Companies that like shouldn't even be in business anymore.

Dope
Old 01-02-2005, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Discount on snapon I didnt know there was such a thing

Quick Reply: Too bad we can't get a tool salesman as a sponsor