Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman Club is a RIP OFF!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They did just change their policy on that. My roomate is a salesman in the tool dept. at sears, and he said that this the first month that the new policy is in effect. It may not have taken full effect across the board, but it was supposed to. They used to give the 10% off of all the craftsman tools during club week, but now it 'is' just the advertised tools. If you are still getting the 10% off of everything your lucky, and more than likely it wont be like that next month.

Fry
Old 03-16-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

I like Sears. For less expensive tools www.harborfreight.com is cool too.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I tend not to shop at K-Mart (Sears) because the tools are very high priced and the quality is low. For example, their standrad hand wrenches have casting errors, nicks, sharp edges, dings and the finish is not polished.

You can buy a much better quality from Stanley IMO.

On the discount issue, sometimes I get it other times I don;t - I can never figure out the real price.

Suggestion: Don't shop at K-Mart (Sears)
Dude you are such a Craftsman hater. Hell you don't even know how to use the tools you have. Why would anyone listen you you about tools. I suppose JC Whitney is better choice for tool selection.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/280135-crank-pulley-installation-tool.html
Old 03-17-2005, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jlaw
How can something that is free to join be a rip off? You should be happy about any discount you get. Stop bitching.
I'm sorry I didn't mean that the craftsman club program all thogether was a rip off, its just that they didn't send out notification to let us know of the changes in the policies.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs down

Really, and I still haven't figured-out the relationship between K-Mart and Sears??? Not even close.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

I tend not to shop at K-Mart (Sears) because the tools are very high priced and the quality is low. For example, their standrad hand wrenches have casting errors, nicks, sharp edges, dings and the finish is not polished.

You can buy a much better quality from Stanley IMO.

On the discount issue, sometimes I get it other times I don;t - I can never figure out the real price.

Suggestion: Don't shop at K-Mart (Sears)
Enough!!!

Tell me what makes the foreign stuff better. What grade steel do they use? Is it heat treated, to what rockwell? What kind of tolerences do they have in the machining? What kind of QC do they have in place? What kind of innovations do they produce? What kind of empoyee turnover rate do they have (since a guy who has done the job for 20 years is going to produce a better tool than someone has had done it for 2 weeks)?

Back up your claims with something better than "the china tools are polished"
Old 03-19-2005, 01:36 AM
Teching In

your answer, robertech, whatever; is retarded....

between usa and china, the big difference is the amount you pay and to whom, and what you want....

stanley is, and has been a good tool company. their products are made in asia now . craftsman are made in the usa and obviously cost more.. harbor freight is less quality/ specs and are cheap in all aspects BUT will get A JOB done. i'm tired tying.....
Old 03-19-2005, 02:00 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

disregard Robert's comments. He is just the resident Craftsman hater here. He is also the only guy on the site to install mudflaps on his f-body.

Sorry to see Sears change their policy. That sucks! Oh well, it was good while it lasted, I bought tons of stuff already.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator
Really, and I still haven't figured-out the relationship between K-Mart and Sears??? Not even close.
just to let you know what he is referring to is that k-mart bought out sears, they are trying to call it a merger, but I work there and basically to make a long story short, k mart has bought them out...
Old 03-21-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
disregard Robert's comments. He is just the resident Craftsman hater here. He is also the only guy on the site to install mudflaps
when i bought my z28 last summer it came with two sealed sets of mud flaps......i put them on ebay with a bunch of other stock stuff and ended up getting more bids on the flaps than anything else

i've only been wrenching a short time, and i've already broken 2 3/8th ratchets and one 1/4 ratchet, both craftsmen.......two out of the three the internals just busted without much stress on them at all.....the third was my(and the breaker bar's) fault.....

i need to get a bunch of tools and a bigger box or two for my garage, i'm either gonna do the home depot 12 months no interest or scrounge the local area for used stuff this spring...........
Old 03-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Teching In

you know, for china tools "sucking so much" with their "crappy forging and heat treatment," they do build a **** load of stuff in china with those china made tools, eh?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aresixx
you know, for china tools "sucking so much" with their "crappy forging and heat treatment," they do build a **** load of stuff in china with those china made tools, eh?
yeah....a lot of crappy stuff.....
Old 03-22-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not a Craftsman hater; I just wish they had better value tools.

1. First the discount is reduced

2. Than the prices increase and sales drop

3. Then the warranty is scrapped and sales go down more

4. Then they move manufacturing to Asia...

???????????????
Old 03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Another_User
I like Sears. For less expensive tools www.harborfreight.com is cool too.
Of course there is a lot of crap there too, all of their ratchets are total crap, breaker bars are ok, impact stuff is pretty good, wrenches are ok but flex and are good for stripping heads off if you use the box end.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm not a Craftsman hater; I just wish they had better value tools.

1. First the discount is reduced

2. Than the prices increase and sales drop

3. Then the warranty is scrapped and sales go down more

4. Then they move manufacturing to Asia...

???????????????

I can just about guarantee you that from the second half of number 2 on down will not happen. The first half of number 2 is a sure thing since prices on almost everything increases over time.

With Crasftsman now being sold in Sears and K-Mart, they probably about doubled their vendors.

Also, if Craftsman is anything like Snap-on they have no problem selling their tools. I hear people say they don't see how Snap-on stays in business with their outrageious prices, that they'll have to move manufacturing overseas to stay in the game. That is not true at all. Snap-on is selling everything they make, in fact they can't keep up with the orders. Backorders is what is hurting them more than anything, however, that is being turned around and changed right now.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, k-mart did buy them out. expect **** to change for the worse.

and also it depends on who you know when you go there. theres this guy who knows me and im always there, and he applies the discount every time i buy anything because i not only keep comming, but keep comming to their store too.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alot of Chinese Tools =

I like Husky ok, they are Chinese, but the profits go to Stanley. I have a ratchet I like.

I worked for Cooper Lighting, and I like Cooper Tools ok.

It's hard to tell where alot of tools are made. Sometimes the parts are made out of country but assembled here. Then it is made in the USA.

Last edited by BBQLS1; 03-29-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, has anyone checked out Snap on?

$1300 for a 48 piece 12 point ratchet set?!?!?!?!

How can anyone justify paying this? I don't care where it was made.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah my buddy is a mechanic and he has snap on and i asked him the same question "WTF" and he said the quality is that much better than craftsman and its also lifetime, and they deliver the tools to him at work when they break, as opposed to craftsman where you have to go get it yourself.

to you and i this may sound stupid because i have tools from when my grandfather was my age from craftsman, however to a mechanic, this means a lot. most of them get paid per job, so you cant be without a 10mm socket for an entier day kinda deal. and you cant be breaking them once a month even.

on a side note, i got a professional grade mac tool greaser for $20. the one you use on suspension parts and driveshafts. same buddy who is a mechanic. brand new off the mac truck. ****, you gotta pay $20 just to get on a tool truck to look around let alone buy anything haha.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aresixx

when they cost $0.01 to make, you can go through a lot of em and not be phased

also, whos to say they dont have expensive tools in china, do any of you know this for a fact? do you think "mechiancs" in china use the same ones we are getting here in america? cmon now, im sure they make nicer things there and sell us the cheapest tools they can make.

will this china vs american tool thing ever stop? its like ricers vs domestic owners. to each their own. lets just move on with our lives. ***** are so much cooler than tools, why dont we focus on thoes for a while.

Quick Reply: Craftsman Club is a RIP OFF!!!!!