Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

VERY cheap mig welder

Old 07-30-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY cheap mig welder

hey guys i have looked at various extremely cheap mig welders on ebay and i am not looking for anything special just something to learn on and possibly weld exhaust with. what is there for me to look at? i want an electric one and it has to weld exhaust piping. i dont care if it sux as long as it works. what is the bare minimum.

Thanks
Louie
Old 07-30-2005, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

Yea what he said I want one too.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's no big magic behind most of the inexpensive buzz boxes. In fact, most of them are made by the same company and rebadged over and over. I needed a part for my wire feeder on my 20+yo Mac welder, and the local tool store had some no-name welder on the shelf that was 100% identical. It actually works quite well, although over .023 wire it gags a little. But for exhaust work .023 wire is perfect.

Just look for something with at least 100 amps, and do NOT get a flux-core welder, they weld horribly. Spend the extra few bucks and get a real gas welder. I don't think I'd try to do a rollcage or major structural work with it, but it does great for exhaust work, body work, etc.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of the welding company outfits offer a 135-140 amp gas welder. It's pretty much perfect for light welding like exhaust and stuff. And pretty good for learning on.

I would check on ebay for some of the more popular 135-140 amp welders. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart. I picked one up recently for $350 shipped.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're gonna spend the $$ at least get one that also has independent controls for wire feed rate and amperage. Some of the cheaper ones only have one control, so if you want more amperage, you get more wire too which is usually not helpful.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Most of the major brand (Big names such as Lincoln, Miller, Hobart,) MIG's with a 135 or 140 model number will run off of 110v, have good controls, and are gas capable. You get much nicer welds with gas, than you do with flux cored wire. (Gas kits are often sold seperately). If you plan of doing a lot of aluminum welding get one that is "spool" gun capable, as runing soft aluminum wire even with a teflon liner is a pain in the A$$.

Other than just hacking something together temporarly or a quick repair on something I don't have much use for wire cored wire. It usually has a lot of splatter, but it will do the job on something that's dirty, and you don't want to get spotlessly clean.

If you have a good 220v source near where you will be welding then get a 220v MIG. Most 110v circuts are 15amp and if other things are on the circut, you may experence a voltage drop. This can cause a problem with your welding, especially if you use a extension cord. Seldom a problem with 220v. I have a 110v Mig but I wired a 20amp dedicated circut for it, and made my own 8 gage extension cord. (I also made a 8 gage extension cord for my TIG and stick welder). Its a lot easier at times to tke the welder to the work than it is to take the work to the welder.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

i actually have access to 220v that my dad wired into out garage. so maybe i will look into using that...

Thanks for the tips and info i dont know much about welding at all. ok almost nothing. however i didnt know much about any of the things that i am great at now until i started messing around with them...

and now i think that i am pretty damn good and a lot of things that i taught myself.

Once again a big thanks.

Louie
Old 08-01-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

what are your guys' opinions on these welders. first let me note that i am not trying to cut corners or be a complete cheap ***, i just dont have a ton of money to blow on a welder right now with my current situation, i do however want one and it in no way shape or form has to make "beautiful" welds, all that i am looking for right now is to connect two pieces of metal together and hopefully they hold together without leaks...
here are some links...more will be added as time goes on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHICAGO-ELECTRIC...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/EASY-MIG-100-WIR...QQcmdZViewItem

this one seems to be a great choice for the money and my goals. not too sure though...
http://cgi.ebay.com/230-VOLT-MIG-WEL...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
Louie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VERY cheap mig welder