Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Best Milling machines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Milling machines?

In reference to this post/question https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/412672-machinists-best-machine-do-seat-guide-work.html

I haven't purchased a milling machine yet.
Looking for more input on which is best, and leads to the best dealers of such machines.

I've seen a lot on ebay, but I'm suspicious.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Bridgeport makes the best verticle and horizonal lathes and milling machines, period.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Try asking that question here:

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php

or perhaps here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

You may get some more varied responses.

Ed
Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My machine shop has 6 bridgeports, very good mills. You will NEVER go wrong buying a 1950's mill made in the USA. Bridgeports are known for slop in the feeds after a lot of use (like 15-20 years) but, a digital read-out would fix that. There is a way to get rid of sloppy feeds but, a digital read-out makes life a little easier than breaking your back trying to read the dials. Plus a read-out in more accurate by .0005"
Where are you in IL come by my shop a take a look a my shop if your interested to see a bridgeport. If not just about ever machine shop thats been around long would have one.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deffently something to be said about the quality of a Bridgeport.... most of the machines are older than the people who post on this web site but they still do an outstanding job...
Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

I have a 1945 J-Head Bridgeport mill at home......36 X 7 tables.....1/2HP 112V.....6 step belt drive (wish it had more power and a variable speed).....takes a funky collets (Brown and Sharp 7 I think...WAYYY too small)........1945 = a year older than my father.....when we got it, the X axis screw was GONE/DOA (the Y was "ok".....but still had some slop)....we had new X and Y screws cut and replaced the nuts....results.....brand new mill......installed a power feed to the X axis and went to work.....

quite a good little mill (I want to REALLY emphasize the word LITTLE.......).......going too small is WAYYYYYYYYY worse that going too big......the largest cutter I can run is a 1/2" and even if I could, the machine couldn't handle the load......

now...what I'm getting to is.....the older Bridgeport’s were really good machines, they last forever.....the newer ones however are in no way built to the same quality (not even built in the US)......

PERSONALLY, unless you are going to use it for production, just about anything will work fine......

ex: we bought a Jet 14/40, 1Phase 220V,2HP, gear head Lathe Christmas before last and same thing....for production work (5 days a week/8or10 hours a day kind of stuff) you would kill it but for my few times a month to make one of a kind things (I can hold +/- 0.0005" with it so....), couldn't really ask for more.....

so what I'm getting at is just find a machine that will do for you, and put your money into tools/measuring equipment (ex: a Digital Readout).....also keep in mind that larger machines will need 3phase 220V so you will need a phase converter ($500+ for a good rotary phase converter)……
Old 02-13-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white2001s10
In reference to this post/question https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412672

I haven't purchased a milling machine yet.
Looking for more input on which is best, and leads to the best dealers of such machines.

I've seen a lot on ebay, but I'm suspicious.
Buy the best you can afford and try to get it local. An old Bridgeport (if the ways and screws are good) is better than a new brand X. A manual with a DRO would be good. Shipping on a 3000 LB mill is ridiculous. I have 2 bridgeports. One manual and a V2XT CNC(1990 I think). Love them both. But if I had the cash..... Id get a Haas VMC in a heartbeat.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My resident machinist says: Bridgeport, while good, is overpriced. His preference and the one he uses the most is a Webb.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Are you kidding? Bridgeports are dirtcheap for what they are. You can't beat that and theres a million of them out there as we speak. Parts are cheap and they're easy to rebuild. BTW my family owns an engineering design and machine shop... So I have a little experience in this.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a machine shop that gets abused by a few hundred students a week...so I maintain the machines when I'm not cutting parts. All of our machines are Do-All's...they're Bridgeport clones, and they're very good machines. I have digital readouts on all of the machines, and I find them easy to maintain and keep operating properly...PLENTY of power for cutting anything any of my students need to, and anything I need to for my own stuff when I stay after hours...I just wish the spindle RPM was higher for cutting aluminum...I'm spoiled there by the CNC's

Last edited by Mike454SS; 02-19-2006 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Milling machines?