Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which Toolbox Do You Prefer?
Craftsman Professional
35.77%
MAC
5.69%
Matco
25.20%
Snap-On
33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006 | 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got the HF box maybe 6 months ago and its been great. it was 700 or 800 bucks.
it is in my garage for home use.
i am very very impressed with the quality so far
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1998TA__1991RS
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, i havnt read the whole thread. but WATERLOO makes EVERYONES boxes for them. I have heard this from a matco,snapon,craftsman,and cornwell dealer. they just vary in quality from one brand to another. A snapon box and a craftsman pro box is exactly the same, made at the same plant with different emblems on them. matco and waterloo's brand of boxes are about the best quality you can get. If you are looking at somthing for a home garage check out the stainless steel boxes you can buy at Costco and Sams Club. they are very good quality and cheap compared to others.
Sorry to bring this up so late, but, um, no. Snap-on makes there boxes in their own plant. I believe it is somewhere in the midwest, Indiana if memory serves me correctly. If memory serves Mac and Matco also manufacture their own boxes. At least their top of the line boxes.

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
that is true to an extent, Matco Boxes are made By Matco And Only Matco In there Tool Box Plant in Jamestown New York. Snap on as well makes there own boxes. Mac Has there boxes Outsourced to my understanding but there Econimizer is made by Waterloo. If you noticed the cheat Mac boxes look identical to the Husky Boxes you se at Home Depot. Cornwell and crafstman both are made by Waterloo. IMO Matco make the best box out there. The finish is powdercoated as to the comptetitors are painted. Matco Boxes have Functional Load bearing corners. matco boxes have a Center Slide support and the 5S boxes by far have the Best Key Design. And Compared to Mac or Snap on in all 3 top of the line Boxes it is 1000 Cheaper than the Macsimizer and Over 1000 Cheaper than the Snap ons Top of the line Boxes
Again, sorry, but misleading information here. The only box in Snap-on's KRL series that is NOT powdercoated are the red ones.

IMHO, the Snap-on is the only choice here if money was not much of a factor. Here is an example of the quality. Back in 1998 Snap-on had a theme box called the "Gold Medal" series. It was made up of a triple bank top and bottom box. It was a sizable beast. I had a customer that had his box transfered to his new employers shop by flatbed towtruck. Now this super smart driver decided to unhook the box BEFORE tilting the bed. When he tilted the bed, well, you could just imagine. The thing was pretty messed up. Scratched, dented and both boxes hit the ground on their respective bottom corners racking both of them. When the dust settled the only function lost of both boxes was two drawers that did not close completely. Every other drawer and lid on the top box functioned and locked.
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brianz
Sorry to bring this up so late, but, um, no. Snap-on makes there boxes in their own plant. I believe it is somewhere in the midwest, Indiana if memory serves me correctly. If memory serves Mac and Matco also manufacture their own boxes. At least their top of the line boxes.

Again, sorry, but misleading information here. The only box in Snap-on's KRL series that is NOT powdercoated are the red ones.

IMHO, the Snap-on is the only choice here if money was not much of a factor. Here is an example of the quality. Back in 1998 Snap-on had a theme box called the "Gold Medal" series. It was made up of a triple bank top and bottom box. It was a sizable beast. I had a customer that had his box transfered to his new employers shop by flatbed towtruck. Now this super smart driver decided to unhook the box BEFORE tilting the bed. When he tilted the bed, well, you could just imagine. The thing was pretty messed up. Scratched, dented and both boxes hit the ground on their respective bottom corners racking both of them. When the dust settled the only function lost of both boxes was two drawers that did not close completely. Every other drawer and lid on the top box functioned and locked.
Snap on makes a good box, Of coarse Im partial
Are you a Snap on Distributor?
Old 12-07-2006 | 11:14 PM
Teching In

I like the Snap on box better. I think its the best automotive toolbox.
Old 12-08-2006 | 08:40 AM
Teching In

Snap on makes a good box, Of coarse Im partial
Are you a Snap on Distributor?
Used to be.
Old 12-08-2006 | 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am kicking around the Harbor Freight box. I have two valid "15% off 1 item" coupons.

That would sure take a nice chunk out of a $399 box and a $299 topper...

My only concern is - how do I get it home? Will it fit in a Suburban?
Old 12-08-2006 | 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2FastSS2000
I like the Snap on box better. I think its the best automotive toolbox.
For a guy that is running a shop and making money its one thing. For someone that piddles in their spare time it silly. My dad just bought a couple of new snap on boxes for his shop. One was right at $9K and one was $5K. The $9K was even slightly used. I dont see how anyone could justify that for personal use. A typical cobalt, rigid, HF, or equal lasts just fine. Its been my experience that estate sales are the way to get big items like large boxes and random machinery. Last one we went to I think we split about a grands worth of purchases and I got 4 top and bottom mac boxes. Kept two and sold the other two for about $800.
Old 12-09-2006 | 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I grabbed my coupon, some cash, and went to Harbor Freight today to check out the $399 US General toolbox. I was planning on getting the $399 lower and $299 upper (using my 15% off coupons).

No go. They were too ugly for me. That finish is nasty. They may be functional, but the finish on the floor model showed a ton of scuffs, and the top box had rust in one of the corners (and this was *inside* the store!). I'll pass.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a sub-$1000 used name brand box (Matco etc). I love saving money, but I just could not bring myself to buy that ugly box.
Old 12-09-2006 | 08:45 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

What about the CSPS ss boxes from Costco, Im thinking about getting their big one, its nice for a grand.
Old 12-13-2006 | 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've heard about the Costco boxes but we don't have a Costco locally, so I can't even check them out. I'm not a huge fan of stainless, as it shows pawprints very easily (heh, probably goes back to my hate of repeatedly wiping down the whole damn McDonalds when I was 15, I guess ).

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a used Matco, I think.
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:52 PM
Launching!

I checked out the ones from northern tool. And I liked it alot too, its a Matte finish like the harbourfreight one.
Old 12-13-2006 | 06:08 PM
On The Tree

i worked for ford for over a year with a craftsman box and no problems if u treat it well it keeps on working well. If u slam drawers and throw tools at it its not gonna hold up to the abuse. If I was u I would kind the cheapest largest box you can and put the rest into your car.
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:21 PM
Launching!

to be honest I really was not that impressed with the costco one.... but I also have a harbour freight and norther tool near me.

also check out craigslist, I have been seeing some good deals on used stuff.
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can also get real good deals on the brand name boxes on ebay, you just gotta find one local or be willing to travel with a uhaul or trailer, as most guys won't ship them, and it'd cost a fortune to do so. My Matco box weighs something like 640 lbs empty, shipping slip said something close to 700 lbs packed on a pallet and protected to ship. So its not something you and a buddy can just load onto a pickup bed.
Old 12-15-2006 | 10:57 AM
Teching In

craigslist.com is a great way to find local used and new tools and just about any thing else.
Old 12-15-2006 | 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought a new but freight damaged Matco box today. Found it on ebay from a local seller. A 6 drawer MSC12 service cart. Only the top right tray of the cart was damaged... the drawers are all fine. The damage is "mostly" straightened out now - and it's 100% functional. 1 drawer swallowed all of my open end wrenches.

This box makes my Craftsman boxes look like kid toys. It's like parking a decked out full sized Hummer next to a couple of beat up 1985 Jeep Cherokees.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox-newbox.jpg  
Old 12-17-2006 | 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I bought a new but freight damaged Matco box today. Found it on ebay from a local seller. A 6 drawer MSC12 service cart. Only the top right tray of the cart was damaged... the drawers are all fine. The damage is "mostly" straightened out now - and it's 100% functional. 1 drawer swallowed all of my open end wrenches.

This box makes my Craftsman boxes look like kid toys. It's like parking a decked out full sized Hummer next to a couple of beat up 1985 Jeep Cherokees.
Those things have been out since late summer and they are a sweet piece. They are made in the same plant Matco boxes are made in. Ive sold quite a few since they have came out.
Old 12-17-2006 | 09:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Toonz
The time has come to buy a toolbox. I was originally going to buy a simple Craftsman toolbox from Sears, but I am really considering stepping up to something a bit nicer. My question is, is it worth the extra $$ for a Snap-On, MAC, or Matco toolbox? If I bought Craftsman it would be the professional series so the cost isn't that much more for the others, but it is more. For those of you that have them, what do you suggest. Does anyone wish they would have went with something different? TIA.
I'm just jumping into this thread I didnt read all responses but i'll post anyways. If you are ready to pay for the craftsman prof. series the Matco or Mac boxes are not too much more. That being said you can get some killer deals online on ebay and such if you keep looking. Craftsman prof. series is pretty good though. I went with this Matco box cause I got it in mint cond for 3500 on ebay and it's a triple bay box. I agree with a lot of people that say Snap-on is too exp. Though they do make the best quality boxes along with matco and mac in my opinion, maybe even slightly better. Then again if your not using your tools every day you probably don't need more than a Craftsman prof. box... then again matco or mac used and cheaper would be the way i'd go if I were you.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox-2ed1_1.jpg  
Old 12-17-2006 | 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those things have been out since late summer and they are a sweet piece. They are made in the same plant Matco boxes are made in. Ive sold quite a few since they have came out.
I really like it so far. I 'moved in' to it today. Such an upgrade from the standard slider Craftsman box. I effectively emptied 2 of my Sears boxes in to this one (but then filled them back up with other tools & supplies that didn't have a home). This one will be my 'primary' tools box.

How much does the 6 drawer MSC12 (the MSC12-ADDON#4) list for? Just curious. I picked this one up for $500. That seemed like a pretty good deal to me. The only damaged part was that upper right tray, and a little ding on the main case right beneath it. It all straightened out fairly well (you can see it in the picture).
Old 12-17-2006 | 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

You can get the basic 3 drawer MSC12 new for around 795. If you go for the extra 3 drawers like your they go for around 995. Needless to say you got a damn good deal. I got a damaged 3 drawer msc12 the first time I ordered one( Damn freight companys) Rode on the truck for about30 minutes and sold it at the first stop I made with it. I knocked 200 bux off it.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox