Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which Toolbox Do You Prefer?
Craftsman Professional
35.77%
MAC
5.69%
Matco
25.20%
Snap-On
33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006 | 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Due to lack of depth, the MB7525 is smaller (28,187 cubic inches) than the $3,450 Craftsman Pro, but it's a real nice box and I like the drawer design more than that of the Craftsman Pro.
The price you got was a steal!
The lowest price I was quoted for that box (without the top) was $5200 (on different routes, the dealers want $5400 and $5675) and the SS top is an extra $700 from all three different dealers.
You bought a $5,900 (minimum) box for $3,700! $2,200 OFF! That's a killer deal! So, Kudos to you for that! I'da bought it too!
However, for those of us who can't get deals like that, (which is 99.9% of us) you have to admit the Craftsman Pro is still a much better buy. It's bigger, has the same weight capacity and is $1,750 less ( at list prices of the base boxes).
That means the Craftsman Pro is $50 less than half the price of the, still smaller, Matco.
Old 09-08-2006 | 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep, the Matco guy came in with some story about his district rep wanting to see more Matco boxes in this area, and authorized him to run this deal. In reality it was Feburary, most people were prob. still paying off the credit cards from the holidays and buisness was slow, at least thats my guess. Box was $3700, plus another $300 for the stainless top. So at that point the small (at least since were already talking thousands of dollars) price jump from a C-man to a Matco thats better built, with a better drawer layout, a financing rate less than half of what I get on my sears card, it was an offer too good to pass up. Plus I like the green on this box more than the darker green on everyone elses lol. And in the long run, I've probably already made up the rest of the difference on the extra discounts my Matco guy gives me on tools. And of course the special little plaque with my name on it makes it all worthwhike
Old 09-12-2006 | 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by katit
I just went through all this toolbox picking process.
Not for everyday use, but I like nice stuff.

I heard about HF unit and was very sceptic. After checking it in person and comparing to Husky, Koblat and Craftsman it was clear that HF unit wins hands down.

Craftsman professional units are nice, but their prices was triple what HF wants.
With their 20% off coupon and $400 on sale I got base roller cabinet for $330

Can't beat price quality. Similar waterloo box was $700+

Check HF, I'm happy with that box.
I have to agree, I was at HF today getting some shrink wrap and decided to go look at the box they had set-up. It was these 3:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90320
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90321
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94497

The only thing I saw I didn't like was the finish, it has a matte finish, I would have preferred a gloss instead.

However, it was extremely sturdy and the slides were great. I put pressure on the drawer in each direction and they still opened flawlessly. I would say they are even smoother than my Snap-on (which I have a KRA, not a KRL).

If I were in the market for another box, that's what I would go with. Those 3 units would run just over 1k and that's a whole lot of box for the price.
Old 09-23-2006 | 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default Waterloo

I've some oddball boxes. they are Waterloo,67L x 24D & 47L x 24D top ,Heigtht is 74T Now I need another one for Metrics. Until this Corvette I did not own a metric tool. Had it since '93, no prob. ,the drawers are noy as smooth as some. Craftsman this time,for the money,best deal around. The SO deal is kind of a line mech. status deal .SO makes nice tools but a polished Craftsman wrench feels just like an SO to me.SO & Mac gave easy credit & that filled more tool boxes than quality ever did.
Old 10-08-2006 | 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbandit98
well most people say.."well if youre going to use it everyday, go with better box" . I guess i am the single exeption, i use my "cheap craftsman" everyday. I am not a mechanic, but a maintenance tech. Unlike the mechanics at a dealership or in a shop, I roll mine around in a hostile environment, (hot, wet, dirty *** fiberglass plant and i have never had one complaint. Mine is all dented, scratched and has about 200lbs of tools in it. never had one one problem. i say buy a decent one and save that 4500 for something else. IMO its just a "look at my $$ box", im probably going to get flamed for that but oh well. IT doesnt do anything, it holds tools and the drawers slide in and out, no way 4500 can justify that..
+10

My ball-bearing Craftsman set works great for the last 7 years. Can't say that about the Snap-On B.S. at work. I'm in charge of our tool crib at work (over $9 mil. worth of tools & test equipment, little over $100k in Snap-On stuff) and I have more problems getting replacement tools than anything. If something breaks I gotta wait for when the damn Snap-On dude decides when he'll come on base. If I had it my way I'd get rid of all our Snap-On stuff and buy Craftsman. If something breaks I can hop in the shop van and run down to Sears and replace the broken tool today! What a concept.
Old 10-09-2006 | 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats the fault of the dealer, not Snap-On. Good dealers, which thankfully both my SO guys have been show up each week and when I've broken something they usually will stop by at some point that day as long as they're in the area.
Old 10-09-2006 | 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

My snap-on guy takes care of me. I usually don't break too many tools though.
Old 10-15-2006 | 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, i havnt read the whole thread. but WATERLOO makes EVERYONES boxes for them. I have heard this from a matco,snapon,craftsman,and cornwell dealer. they just vary in quality from one brand to another. A snapon box and a craftsman pro box is exactly the same, made at the same plant with different emblems on them. matco and waterloo's brand of boxes are about the best quality you can get. If you are looking at somthing for a home garage check out the stainless steel boxes you can buy at Costco and Sams Club. they are very good quality and cheap compared to others.
Old 10-15-2006 | 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1998TA__1991RS
A snapon box and a craftsman pro box is exactly the same, made at the same plant with different emblems on them.
Just the visual differences proves this wrong. First off, the craftsman pro looks nothing like the krl series snap-on boxes, it somewhat resembles the kra, but still, it has a different drawer locking system, the craftsman has a handle at the top which the snap-on doesn't, and there's probably a few more things I could find different. Just take a look at pics of each on their websites, it's obvious.

I thought snap-on had their own plant in Algonia where they made their boxes, but maybe they get components from waterloo and do final assembly or something. I'm not sure, never been to that one.
Old 10-17-2006 | 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

if you have a costco in your area, you should go check out the 40in stainless steel tool box they have.
i have one and i havent had any problems with it.

im not a professional mechanic, but i do alot of work on the side to earn extra money.
here is a picture of mine:

edit:
it costs ~ $700
18in deep
ball bearing
Old 10-19-2006 | 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

i got a matco box mainly because the strap on guy doesnt come around that often maybe twice a year. and out mac guy comes maybe once a month that left me with the matco guy who comes weekly like they should
Old 10-19-2006 | 10:46 PM
Teching In

heres my dads box/bench/cart, i like it a lot even compared to the older Snap-on boxes (The one at my house is a VERY old Snap-on box and you can see the improvment) the other at my house is a Craftsman, thing is TERRIBLE half the drawers dont open, the ones that do are hard to open and close and some come out ALL THE WAY, given its from late 80s early 90s its still terrible the old Snap-on in my garage is from the 70's and every drawer functions properly and even the locks work flawlessy

Old 11-05-2006 | 05:57 PM
...with cheese.

Holy crap that's a lot o' box ^

I've got the Classic 78 from Snap-on. I got mine for $1500, which I though was pretty good.
Old 11-12-2006 | 09:37 PM
Launching!

Just a thought on guys looking to upgrade their boxes...

Is there an option just to order ballbearing sliders?

I mean it seems like 75% of the quality of the box comes from the sliders.
Old 11-12-2006 | 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know Snap-on sells replacement pieces for all their boxes.
Old 11-15-2006 | 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1998TA__1991RS
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, i havnt read the whole thread. but WATERLOO makes EVERYONES boxes for them. I have heard this from a matco,snapon,craftsman,and cornwell dealer. they just vary in quality from one brand to another. A snapon box and a craftsman pro box is exactly the same, made at the same plant with different emblems on them. matco and waterloo's brand of boxes are about the best quality you can get. If you are looking at somthing for a home garage check out the stainless steel boxes you can buy at Costco and Sams Club. they are very good quality and cheap compared to others.
that is true to an extent, Matco Boxes are made By Matco And Only Matco In there Tool Box Plant in Jamestown New York. Snap on as well makes there own boxes. Mac Has there boxes Outsourced to my understanding but there Econimizer is made by Waterloo. If you noticed the cheat Mac boxes look identical to the Husky Boxes you se at Home Depot. Cornwell and crafstman both are made by Waterloo. IMO Matco make the best box out there. The finish is powdercoated as to the comptetitors are painted. Matco Boxes have Functional Load bearing corners. matco boxes have a Center Slide support and the 5S boxes by far have the Best Key Design. And Compared to Mac or Snap on in all 3 top of the line Boxes it is 1000 Cheaper than the Macsimizer and Over 1000 Cheaper than the Snap ons Top of the line Boxes
Old 11-15-2006 | 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

strap-on FTW!!!!!
Old 11-16-2006 | 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\H\My Documents\My Pictures\0001[/IMG]
Get Snap-on for the box.
Old 11-18-2006 | 10:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kelly.
if you have a costco in your area, you should go check out the 40in stainless steel tool box they have.
i have one and i havent had any problems with it.

im not a professional mechanic, but i do alot of work on the side to earn extra money.
here is a picture of mine:

edit:
it costs ~ $700
18in deep
ball bearing
I actually just checked this one out today, the one they had on display was very close but not the same as yours. I thought it was a decent box, but I will admit I have felt a craftsman one with better sliders. Not that the sliders were not bad, this BOX was pretty sturdy. Also had the you cannot open more then one drawar at once feature.
Old 11-22-2006 | 07:02 AM
Launching!

hey I checked out the harbour freight one yesterday. And I honestly have to say, its a good box. I haven't played with other boxes really other then a few craftsman and the costco one.

the harbour freight one does not have the only one drawar at a time thing, but it has like a "powdercoat finish" I know its not but it feels durable as hell and will be harder to rough up. Full setup is under $1k until 12/26/06 Thats every option, all 3 boxes.

definitely better then the costco one just in feel.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox