Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which Toolbox Do You Prefer?
Craftsman Professional
35.77%
MAC
5.69%
Matco
25.20%
Snap-On
33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
that just depends on your weight. i'm 265 lbs. will you let ME stand in one of your drawers?
I'm 225 and I do it with tools in it.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maddboost
For a garage mechanic I would say a Craftsman with ball bearing will work great. It may not be as durable as a Snap-On or Matco but I only use it on the weekends. And I would rather spend the money I didnt spend on the box on modding my cars. Id rather have a shitty box and a fast car than a nice box and a slow car.
Best said statement so far,my craftsman is 12yrs old used on weekends and it hasnt fallen apart yet and if it does Ill buy another.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maddboost
For a garage mechanic I would say a Craftsman with ball bearing will work great. It may not be as durable as a Snap-On or Matco but I only use it on the weekends. And I would rather spend the money I didnt spend on the box on modding my cars. Id rather have a shitty box and a fast car than a nice box and a slow car.

Originally Posted by Wicked ls 1
Best said statement so far,my craftsman is 12yrs old used on weekends and it hasnt fallen apart yet and if it does Ill buy another.
I'll second that. If you have the money to blow then you get the Snap On. If you need that money to pay for other things then you buy the Craftsman ball bearing on sale and save money. Will it hold a person in a drawer? No it wont but unless your doing this for a living you dont need it to. Unless of course you have to money to blow. Then you really wouldnt be asking if you should just which one?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:00 PM
jic
Staging Lane

the matco one looks like it gets the job done.
im short on cash so i think ill just settle with a craftsman
Old 06-08-2006, 04:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I vote matco and not just because their made in my hometown. They make some of the best stuff out there.

-john
Old 06-08-2006, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JPMuscle
I vote matco and not just because their made in my hometown. They make some of the best stuff out there.

-john

As far as boxes yes. However their tools leave much to be desired.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd disagree. I have a mix of all 4 truck brands and like them all about the same, although almost all my airtools are Mac, which I like more than the rest because they are quiet, which is well worth it when your using them all day. My air hammer is Matco though, and that thing rocks, all the power in the world.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SVT WUT 7
As far as boxes yes. However their tools leave much to be desired.

ok i guess il give you that lol

-john
Old 06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03NHSilvy
I'd disagree. I have a mix of all 4 truck brands and like them all about the same, although almost all my airtools are Mac, which I like more than the rest because they are quiet, which is well worth it when your using them all day. My air hammer is Matco though, and that thing rocks, all the power in the world.

Mac air tools are the shiz!!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lista

Lista toolboxes are great. You see them quite a lot in factory tool cribs and aerospace.

They are probably the heaviest-duty units out there (most drawers have a 440-pound capacity, I believe). The whole system is modular: pick your cabinet, drawer configuration (the customer specifies the height of each drawer in the stack), handles, color, top style, drawer accessories, etc.

They are cheaper than Snap-on, too.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They've got it all

http://www.listaintl.com/index.htm
Old 06-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

I personally have a large Kobalt and a larger Snap-On box at my personal shop. I am very satisfied with both. But hands down I feel Snap-On is going to last much longer than the Kobalt. They both have the roller bearing and such but the Snap-on is built better and flows so much more seamlessly than the Kobalt. But it did cost alot more. At work we have a larger Matco and another large Snap-On they both are incredible tool boxes as well. Pretty much the way I feel is you get what you pay for. But unless you plan on using them continuously for work or something I don't feel like Snap-on or Matco would be feasable for a weekend mechanic.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have both Snap-on and Sears top of the line model, the Snap-on in built much heavier and works much better with a lot of weight in the drawers. Even the paint is much thicker. You do get what you pay for.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Low N Slow
I have both Snap-on and Sears top of the line model, the Snap-on in built much heavier and works much better with a lot of weight in the drawers. Even the paint is much thicker. You do get what you pay for.
Talk about improving functionality and holding more tools.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

its all about durability- the boxes take tons of punishment, using the top as a work surface, or hammering the crap out of something only to have it fly off and hit my (then) week old tool box almost made me crap my pants, but the paint was undamaged. I dropped a ratchet on my old craftsman box, it chipped the paint and eventually rusted. Provided I don't outgrow my Matco box, I will never need to replace it.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m sorry but you didn’t do significant damage to a tool box by dropping a ratchet.

The fact is that unless you do something dumb, leave it sitting outside for years, sit on the open drawers… a ball bearing craftsman will last longer then you will. Just take care of it and your tools like you should and it won’t be an issue. I’ve had mine for about 10 years and the only signs of it’s age are the fact that the craftsman logo is loose (got messed up before it was mine when it was loaded with a hand truck), and the shear amount of steel dust and other crap from assorted projects neither of which are the fault of it’s construction.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Teching In

I've got the huge Snap-On box for primary tools, top, bottom and a side unit. It works wonderful. Theres also a craftsman bench with 6 drawers in my garage that's older than dirt. Along with 2 Lista bins.

Overall, the snap-on box and lista bins are the best, not to take away from the Craftsman box though. It's around 20 years old and was originally my grandpa's. It lived through him as a career mechanic and also my father.

Bottom line is as long as you take care of your stuff and don't beat the crap out of it, the cheaper Craftsman box will serve you fine as an at home unit.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was in the same boat las tyear, I ended up buying a craftsman set that has the ball bearing drawers and the grip latch handles, I personally like it, it's easy to move if that matters and with tons of heavy stuff in the drawers they are still easy to open, somethign that will matter to me when I'm like 70 years old, in another 41 years LOL. As you can see, I dont' plan on buyin ganother one, I bought one big enough to fit the 546 pc tool set I got from teh wife for christmas a couple years ago and there's still a ton of room in the thing for other stuff.

Just get something big enough for everything you have plus probably 25%. That way as you collect more stuff over the years, you won't run out of room... that's the best advise I can give.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Matco tool boxes are the best. Period. Snap on boxes are no better than a crapsman pro series. Anything will work for a home garage tho.

Last edited by ACW; 06-23-2006 at 03:21 AM. Reason: line break
Old 06-22-2006, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Craftsmen will be fine.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox