Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which Toolbox Do You Prefer?
Craftsman Professional
35.77%
MAC
5.69%
Matco
25.20%
Snap-On
33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone ever used Husky brand tool boxes? Ive looked at a few and they seem to be decent quality
Old 12-19-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I grabbed my coupon, some cash, and went to Harbor Freight today to check out the $399 US General toolbox. I was planning on getting the $399 lower and $299 upper (using my 15% off coupons).

No go. They were too ugly for me. That finish is nasty. They may be functional, but the finish on the floor model showed a ton of scuffs, and the top box had rust in one of the corners (and this was *inside* the store!). I'll pass.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a sub-$1000 used name brand box (Matco etc). I love saving money, but I just could not bring myself to buy that ugly box.
the floor model I saw was kinda beat up also. I almost didnt buy one because of it. I got it and a brand new one looks much much better. I have had it for a while and its holding up great.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

What color did you end up getting? They seem to have 3 of that style - a yellow, a black, and a red. My local store only had the red, and it was more of a faded dull flat rough burned out reddish color than anything else. I hated to turn my nose up at it, but, I just would not have been able to handle it.

Plus, my local Harbor Freight was in its usual mode. 2 people working the front, customers stacked 10 deep in each line, other help nowhere to be found. You can't even buy a hammer there in under 20 minutes, most of the time. That also did not "help the sale". It probably would have taken an hour to get through the line and a box actually brought out.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed that tool box at Harbor Freight the other night when I was looking at their milling machines . My experience was similar to Andrew's (Camaroholic).

I think I'll just sit tight and save up some money. I'd like to find double bay rollaway for 1000. That might not happen .

Ryan
Old 12-25-2006, 07:26 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I didn't read all the posts. So sorry if I repeat.

I have 2 of the base & tops from Sams Club. They have roller drawers, drawer liners, locks, pop up lid, wheels are real strong, ect ect. They are stainless steel, and I've had for several years, no issues at all. Paid like 500-600 and the same size of the big name were usually around 3000. Good luck, and thanks from an old Navy Vet.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Food for thought, it would have been easier to digest this thread if you guys were willing to tell us how much you paid. I would make it easier to compare.
What I have found is the cheaper boxs have short and shallow drawer, where as the more expensive have longer and deeper (LxW) drawer. Its almost like they do it on purpose. you are forced one way or the other nothing in-between.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 PM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester1
Food for thought, it would have been easier to digest this thread if you guys were willing to tell us how much you paid. I would make it easier to compare.
What I have found is the cheaper boxs have short and shallow drawer, where as the more expensive have longer and deeper (LxW) drawer. Its almost like they do it on purpose. you are forced one way or the other nothing in-between.
I sent a PM your way bud.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox