Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

"instant shelters"???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "instant shelters"???

I got my Northern Tool catalog, and they have "ShelterLogic" storage for a single car (and larger)
its a 20'x12'x8' pipe frame, covered shelter. UV protected

I was thinking about using this for winter storage for my car this winter, and here on out

its $299

anybody have one? or a better one? is it good, bad

any negatives? I'll seal it up to keep little critters out of it, thats the only problem I can see
Old 10-27-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

anybody?

its goina snow soon, my bird doesn't fly in the snow!
Old 10-27-2006, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

My dad's '66 vette gets stored in a Cover It (same idea as the northern shelter), and it has worked great for him. Think he's had it 5 or 6 years now. Just laydown a tarp for the floor if your putting it on grass/dirt.

Only negative would be that they hold moisture. His feels like a steam room sometimes in the summer.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

cool thanks Andrew,

I'm not too worried about summer, I'm just worried about winter time, the garage always seems to fill up with crap during the winter months lol
Old 10-28-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a bad idea, but you might want to check with you local city codes & regulations. I know in my area, and areas around me they don't allow temporary carports or covers of that type.
Would suck to buy one and find out you cant use it. Some of these site codes are getting out of hand.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

I would be worried about the moisture, thats the only reason I dont already have something like that. seems my garage gets overfilled too every winter so Ive thougth alot about something like that. there are companys that sell products that you can put in there with the car, and inside the car that will remove moisture from the air. a few of those along with some moth ***** and you should be all set though.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

I live in the sticks, so no worry about zoning

Originally Posted by Irocss85
I would be worried about the moisture, thats the only reason I dont already have something like that. seems my garage gets overfilled too every winter so Ive thougth alot about something like that. there are companys that sell products that you can put in there with the car, and inside the car that will remove moisture from the air. a few of those along with some moth ***** and you should be all set though.

I've seen the Silica packets, and then this golden wand thing, that you have to keep plugged in to keep the moisture out

moth ***** the keep the moths out?? no problem with moths during the winter? lol
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Be careful with the instant garage things. On one of the other forums I visit, a guy who lived out in NY had his collapse under the all snow they got recently, and thankfully he had just pulled his truck out shortly before it went down.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

oh damn that would suck

hopefully with the steel tube frame i wont have to worry but I'll def keep the snow off of it

long as its able to stand the wind
Old 10-29-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

his was a steel tube frame with the ploy/plastic tarp, the snow was just too much for it and it collapsed, so do like you said and keep the snow off of it and hopefully you'll have better luck.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
moth ***** the keep the moths out?? no problem with moths during the winter? lol

moth ***** keep the rodents out. lol. Im not too worried about moths either.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

do you leave 'em in your car? or just throw them all over underneath it? I just don't want to come spring and have the stink or something
Old 10-29-2006, 10:16 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Most of the steel tube and tarp enclosures I have seen are not rated for snow loads. The one I had said so right on it. My Father-in-law bought it and the first winter we had it, it collapsed. He repaired it and later on I inherited it and reinforced it by adding extra bars at the base of the roof level to keep the 'trusses' from spreading under load. I also put cables and turnbuckles at each end (see photos) to keep it braced. I also tied the sides to the boat it covered to keep it from falling to the side (red straps in photo). Each year it crushed a little more despite repairs. This past winter it finally gave up. Luckily the boat only got a small hole poked in its bow cover.

The snow pile on top was from a relatively light snow year 2 years ago. You can make these things hold up a lot of snow, but out of the box they are total crap if you live where it snows a lot. The final picture is the cover I replaced the enclosure with.
Attached Thumbnails "instant shelters"???-broken-shelter-1.jpg   "instant shelters"???-broken-shelter-2.jpg   "instant shelters"???-broken-shelter-3.jpg   "instant shelters"???-shelter-loaded.jpg   "instant shelters"???-new-shelter-1.jpg  

Last edited by BJM; 10-29-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Teching In

what's with the "garage gets too full for my car" crap.

first priority is car, everything else stays outside if it doesn't fit
Old 10-29-2006, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

yeah but for me I work on cars in my garage, so its kind of inconvenient haveing my car on one side, customers car in the other bay all the time. its nice to have room to spread out by putting my car outside sometimes. the real problem here for me is I couldnt afford to make my garage a 3 car garage.