Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Storage/transport of race gas - Gas Caddy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Storage/transport of race gas - Gas Caddy?

I'm looking at best methods to store small quantities of race gas (~ 30 gallons or less) in my garage. At this point the nearest distributor to me is about 20 miles away so some short transport in the back of my truck would be required. So far the best alternative I've been able to find looks to be this Gas Caddy - http://www.nbmc.com/caddy/caddy.html

It holds 28 gallons, which is almost enough for two full tanks, which saves me one trip. It appears to be easy to move around with the large wheels. And it looks like they offer hand pumps and water separater kits too, which is nice.

Anybody use something like this that can give feedback, advice, or maybe better recommendations? If push comes to shove I can always buy a few 5-gallon gas cans, but this looks like a bit more elegant solution without the clutter.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 PM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at it from a Gearheads standpoint... I like how you can suck tanks dry as well as fill them up and transport fuel. I used one all the time at the dealership to suck those Sentra tanks dry before I had to pull them down.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

A racing competitor uses one and swears by it.

But he uses it in an enclosed trailer with a nice ramp at the end. Getting a couple hundred pounds of fuel and fuel caddy out of the bed of a PU truck would be a chore if you had to do it by yourself.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:31 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Why not just go with the 50 gallon drum, get the bulk discount. Buy pump and ur done.
Before we had a fork lift, I would carry in one of my P/U's and with some 2X12's slide it off, and roll into a corner. When you get empty, bring back and get another.
Just what I do.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

where I go on vacation the owner had one of those to gas up the boats, the hand pump leaked like you wouldn't imagine after like 2 years, so he just hooked the gas nozzle to the bottom and used it gravity feed instead.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Armageddon
Looking at it from a Gearheads standpoint... I like how you can suck tanks dry as well as fill them up and transport fuel. I used one all the time at the dealership to suck those Sentra tanks dry before I had to pull them down.
gotta love recalls
Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, guys, for your inputs.

The 50-gallon drum would be nice, but I don't really have room for something that large in my garage at this time (wish I had room for a nice shop, but alas I don't). Also, my local fuel distributor told me that once opened, shelf life for the race gas is ~ 6 months. I don't drive the car much so I might only go through 30-50 gallons in a year's time. Leaky pump is good info because I did find another version of this unit that uses a gravity feed system and its cheaper too.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Joe, Get your gas in a smaller 30 gallon drum, or two even smaller 15 gallon drums. We use the smaller drums for dyno testing fuel back in the day of Trans Am. One drum is enough for a tank full and you can leave the other drum sealed until you need it.

They make small, plastic pumps for 10-20$ that work just fine.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Louis
Joe, Get your gas in a smaller 30 gallon drum, or two even smaller 15 gallon drums. We use the smaller drums for dyno testing fuel back in the day of Trans Am. One drum is enough for a tank full and you can leave the other drum sealed until you need it.

They make small, plastic pumps for 10-20$ that work just fine.

Thanks, Louis. I will look into that. The one distributor closest to me sells only in bulk, but I may have found another that sells the VP fuel in 5, 15, and 30 gallon containers. After some more review it looks like for my needs anyway there are better and cheaper alternatives. Appreciate all the feedback

Quick Reply: Storage/transport of race gas - Gas Caddy?