Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Must have Snap-On / Matco tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Must have Snap-On / Matco tools

What are some must have Snap On / Matco tools?

As far as boxes, I am looking at this
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....e=snapon-store

Cordless Impact either one of these
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/ph...=2348&si=55911

So what are some must haves, I def want a torque wrench, but not sure which style.
(leaning toward this one)
Old 03-05-2007, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Either Snap On or Matco make a good tool boxes ..alot better than Craftsman.

Why do u want a cordless impact??
I would get a ingersol rand impact /air tools .instead of Snap On or Matco.

I would not get that torque wrench. Instead i would get a dial type torque wrench ($$$$) if your going to do engine work, rearends , u could also get away with your basic click torque wrench.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by topend
Either Snap On or Matco make a good tool boxes ..alot better than Craftsman.

Why do u want a cordless impact??
I would get a ingersol rand impact /air tools .instead of Snap On or Matco.

I would not get that torque wrench. Instead i would get a dial type torque wrench ($$$$) if your going to do engine work, rearends , u could also get away with your basic click torque wrench.
Has to be a Snap on or Matco cordless impact because I am getting a great deal on either brand. Also cordless cause because I won't be using a compressor so no air. (Using these around at home)

Which torque wrench would you recommend? I don't intend to do any engine work.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

I have the bottom roller snap on box in black. I love it. Looks 100% identicle to the one in the picture.

I also have the matco cordless impact. I have the 14.4. On a full charge it took off all 4 tires on a 2500 truck including the little trim caps. I give it a 10 out of 10. Has a little led also for if its dark.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go
I have the bottom roller snap on box in black. I love it. Looks 100% identicle to the one in the picture.

I also have the matco cordless impact. I have the 14.4. On a full charge it took off all 4 tires on a 2500 truck including the little trim caps. I give it a 10 out of 10. Has a little led also for if its dark.
Cool...I was looking at the 19.2V for the Matco, but am leaning toward the Snap On because it looks like everything else I am getting in Snap On...but to save some coin I may end up with the Matco which is slightly less
Old 03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Get some swivel sockets....and if you plan on using it every day(profession) then get a big box now...i bought a new craftsman 52" and wish i woulda went bigger....i have had no problems with my craftsman box either.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nofearracing28
Get some swivel sockets....and if you plan on using it every day(profession) then get a big box now...i bought a new craftsman 52" and wish i woulda went bigger....i have had no problems with my craftsman box either.
Not as a profession, I have a 26" Craftsman that has served me well and I was going to upgrade to a 40" set by Craftsman but I ran into a good deal for new Snap On / Matco tools so I figured it was a once and a lifetime offer and I might as well jump all over it.

I'll have a 40" box set, 26" box set and a workbench with 4 more drawers and a cabinet. This should set me up long term instead of bumping to a 50"+
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a new Snap-on KRL7022 box this weekend, stainless steel top and drawer guards will be here Friday. The KRL boxes are deeper and better quality than the KRA, this is for my home use also. Find a local Snap-on tool truck and let him know what you want, he'll help you out on the pricing.

The top drawer holds all my sockets, and there's still room for more -

I also have the Snap-on cordless 1/2" and 3/8" impact wrenches, there will nice pieces.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
I just bought a new Snap-on KRL7022 box this weekend, stainless steel top and drawer guards will be here Friday. The KRL boxes are deeper and better quality than the KRA, this is for my home use also. Find a local Snap-on tool truck and let him know what you want, he'll help you out on the pricing.

The top drawer holds all my sockets, and there's still room for more -

I also have the Snap-on cordless 1/2" and 3/8" impact wrenches, there will nice pieces.
That is a very very very nice set you got going there.
Price wise i'll have to stick with the KRA though
Old 03-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Not as a profession, I have a 26" Craftsman that has served me well and I was going to upgrade to a 40" set by Craftsman but I ran into a good deal for new Snap On / Matco tools so I figured it was a once and a lifetime offer and I might as well jump all over it.

I'll have a 40" box set, 26" box set and a workbench with 4 more drawers and a cabinet. This should set me up long term instead of bumping to a 50"+
That works too, but I personally don't like to try and look over the top box in the drawers...but again, im not the tallest person in the world either
Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nofearracing28
That works too, but I personally don't like to try and look over the top box in the drawers...but again, im not the tallest person in the world either
I am 6' 3" so I think I should be ok
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

There's a new Snap-On torque wrench with degreeing.

I have borrowed a Snap on cordless impact, and it had yet to not break a nut loose. I personally will be buying the Matco cordless impact since I get them for cheap and they have 4 LEDs in case your working in a dark spot.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Ingersol rand composite handle titanium snout gun. 1/2 inch drive about 250 bones and 1000ft/lbs best gun on the market. I own mostly sk or craftsman tools and I am a full time tech so I gotta work with my stuff all the time and im sugesting you def go for the big name box but you can get the same quality tools for alot cheaper prices from craftsman or sk, also watch the tool flyers from snap on and matco, they have good specials that save you alot of cash to.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

If it helps any the KRA2411 has a $400 gift certificate that comes with it right now. At least in the Oklahoma City area it does. I am going to by the KRA2411 tomorrow. I really wanted teh KRL1022 but it is a little more that the wife will let me spend right now.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rocketman442
Get the Ingersol rand composite handle titanium snout gun. 1/2 inch drive about 250 bones and 1000ft/lbs best gun on the market.
+1 the thing is a beast... I worked on my 1995 Volvo struts this last weekend (busted spring seats) with rusted nuts and bolts and it removed the nuts with no problem. Model 2135Ti is the one I have BTW.

Last edited by Roy V.; 03-15-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Matco toolboxes > Snap-on boxes.....true story. i looked for about 3 months before i decided on my Matco box. they are build better with better metals. and there cheeper since your not paying as much for the name. look at the pictures here and you can see a better design for strength "T" brace
and Snap-On and there is no "T" brace

As for a torque wrench if your not rebuilding engine, rear ends or transmissions a click type is the way to go. i have a 1/2 click type and the digital 3/8 for when i rebuild transmissions. the 1/2 one i have is this click type . remember never to use a torque wrench to loosen bolts.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CamaroAJ
Matco toolboxes > Snap-on boxes.....true story. i looked for about 3 months before i decided on my Matco box. they are build better with better metals. and there cheeper since your not paying as much for the name. look at the pictures here and you can see a better design for strength "T" brace
and Snap-On and there is no "T" brace

As for a torque wrench if your not rebuilding engine, rear ends or transmissions a click type is the way to go. i have a 1/2 click type and the digital 3/8 for when i rebuild transmissions. the 1/2 one i have is this click type . remember never to use a torque wrench to loosen bolts.
I am starting to lean toward a Matco box since I read a LONG thread that I searched for earlier. Only ptoblem is Matco's web site sucks and they don't show anything.

The thread I read spoke about the 5S box, but I don't see it on Matco's site....I guess i'll wait till my buddy hooks me up with the catalog
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I am starting to lean toward a Matco box since I read a LONG thread that I searched for earlier. Only ptoblem is Matco's web site sucks and they don't show anything.

The thread I read spoke about the 5S box, but I don't see it on Matco's site....I guess i'll wait till my buddy hooks me up with the catalog
Amen to that, Matcos web site does suck ***. The 5s Boxes are slightly heavier and have heavier slides. also the trim looks a little better and there is more of it. There is also 100 color trim Combos you can go with on the 5S
Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 3/8 cordless impact and love it. most used tool I own

I just picked up this mac 1350 for 3400 last month. Wish it was a little bigger though

Last edited by 1BADAIR; 11-14-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for a torque wrench, get the matco IR 2135t for a 1/2" drive, or the 2115t for 3/8" drive. both are made by ingersoll Rand and matco just sells them with their name on it. in case yall didnt know, both snap-on and matco do this for various types of tools. the 2135 is a badass impact, its smaller, lighter, stronger, and quieter than the other ones. its made with titanium, and will loosen a bolt tightened to 1000lb-ft in 6 seconds. how do you get discounts from both companies? i only get one from matco, but its a badass discount.

Quick Reply: Must have Snap-On / Matco tools