Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Decent Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent Torque Wrench

Well as the title states I need a decent torque wrench. Something <$200, but will be accurate. I need it for torquing lugs and suspension components. My father had bought me a cheap one of ebay which I thought was good, but after a year it broke a wheel stud off (assuming it just completely lost calibration?). Now I know there are some crazy expensive ones out there, which I’ll invest in when it is time to do a cam swap, but for now I just need a reliable one mostly for higher torque ratings. I'm going to need one before I get my car back on the road next month to switch the wheels, fix the stud , and install my LCA's. If anybody could suggest some name brands or models I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!
John
Old 04-06-2007, 05:01 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

The fancy ones can get crazy. Sears seems to have the best bang for the buck.
Plus they have sales once in a while, keep ur eyes open.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have two Husky ones from Home Depot. The 1/2" drive is a 25-250 ft/lb and the 3/8 is a 20-100 ft/lb. I forget who makes them for Husky, but it's big name. They were both in the $50-$75 range. The key with torque wrenches is to treat them like a intrusment and not like a tool. Take care and don't drop them or bang them. ALWAYS store them turned down to the lowest setting because as you raise the torque setting, it stretches a spring to get the proper 'torque' rating. If you leave it this way, the spring can become stretched and lose it's rating.

Are these less accurate that say a $300 Snap On or MATCO, I guess, but I tested both of mine compaired to my brother-in-laws recently calibrated Snap-ons wrench and where his read 75, mine read 74. Where his read 125, mine read 126. Not too bad for a 1/4 of the cost. Oh, mine are 4 years old as well and were never calibrated. But for him, once every couple of months the Snap on guy takes it and calibrates it on the spot.

Personally, I don't think the torque ratings are as critical as having all of the bolts at the same amount. For example, it isn't as critical to have all of the wheel lugs torque to 100 ft/lbs exactly, but rather have all five equal which is what the torque wrench will give you.

Most likely you snapped a wheel lug because of a bad thread or a weak stud. Probably 20% of the people on this board have had that happen at least once.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I have two Husky ones from Home Depot. The 1/2" drive is a 25-250 ft/lb and the 3/8 is a 20-100 ft/lb. I forget who makes them for Husky, but it's big name. They were both in the $50-$75 range. The key with torque wrenches is to treat them like a intrusment and not like a tool. Take care and don't drop them or bang them. ALWAYS store them turned down to the lowest setting because as you raise the torque setting, it stretches a spring to get the proper 'torque' rating. If you leave it this way, the spring can become stretched and lose it's rating.

Are these less accurate that say a $300 Snap On or MATCO, I guess, but I tested both of mine compaired to my brother-in-laws recently calibrated Snap-ons wrench and where his read 75, mine read 74. Where his read 125, mine read 126. Not too bad for a 1/4 of the cost. Oh, mine are 4 years old as well and were never calibrated. But for him, once every couple of months the Snap on guy takes it and calibrates it on the spot.

Personally, I don't think the torque ratings are as critical as having all of the bolts at the same amount. For example, it isn't as critical to have all of the wheel lugs torque to 100 ft/lbs exactly, but rather have all five equal which is what the torque wrench will give you.

Most likely you snapped a wheel lug because of a bad thread or a weak stud. Probably 20% of the people on this board have had that happen at least once.
Thats what got me all pissed about the one my dad got me, I took very good care of it as per the instructions it came with, pretty much all the things you said. From all the reading i've done it seems people say stay away from the craftsmen and husky, interesting to hear how accurate yours was. Oh and it wasn't a weak stud, I should have known to stop using the wrench and do it by feel because I just knew it was going too far before clicking. I should have been smarter and stopped once I realized this.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I have three craftsman clickers and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. The Huskys that I've tried have all been off by 10-20 ft/lbs out of the box.

My .02.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

ive used the same matco for about 5 years it was around 270ish new but like i said it was a while back.matco makes some of the toughest tools ive used and im one of those people who break alot of tools
Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive always tohught if you goign to buy quality for any one tool, it should be a torque wrench. I Just ordered a Tech2 digital wrench from snap-on and cant wait to get it.

Plus I can get any QD click type TQ wrench from snap-on for < 125, which is less than some of the craftsman line.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
Ive always tohught if you goign to buy quality for any one tool, it should be a torque wrench. I Just ordered a Tech2 digital wrench from snap-on and cant wait to get it.

Plus I can get any QD click type TQ wrench from snap-on for < 125, which is less than some of the craftsman line.
Interesting I didn't know Snap on had click type wrenches that cheap, could could you PM a link? Interesting, one guy has a husky off by 1 pound compared to a snap on, and another says his husky's were off by 10 pounds and the craftsmen was better. I think I'lll have to stear clear of both brands.
Thanks again guys.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

i have a bunch of craftsman torque wrenches that work well and i have a snapon digital one two but it was $300+.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Yea man i have the TechAngle..in 3/8 and 1/2....your gonna love your Tech2..they are definately the coolest tools i own.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Used my Tech2 3/8" tonight. The price was the worst of it, but you gotta pay to play.
Everytime I use it for some reason, I get a big smile
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

I wish I had the money for one of those, but again I need it mainly for lugs. What do you guys think of buying a snap on off ebay?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Has anybody ever had experience with an Armstrong? I found one for a decent price, and I think I recall somebody once saying they were decent quality.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honeslty if your only using it for lugs you probably dont even need one, most guys who have a TQ wrench dont even use it on lugs. But I have no expirience with armstrong.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Honeslty if your only using it for lugs you probably dont even need one, most guys who have a TQ wrench dont even use it on lugs. But I have no expirience with armstrong.
I want to avoid warped rotors,something i've dealt with many times. I think it's dumb not to use a torque wrench on the lugs, they have torque specs for a reason, just like everything else.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
I want to avoid warped rotors,something i've dealt with many times. I think it's dumb not to use a torque wrench on the lugs, they have torque specs for a reason, just like everything else.
Amen bro!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

As for wheels: Do not let discount tire torque them lol. I asked them waht torque they are setting the guns at.. reply I got was "we torque all lug nuts to 180 ft lbs"

-Lurius
Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

How about those cheaper beam style ones? How accurate are those?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Teching In

I would suggest buying a new snap-on wrench. they cost more but you get what you pay for it is more accurate and better built. if you dont want to spend the money at least buy a new wrench of another brand from sears or somthing. try not to buy a used torque wrench because if you drop it the calibration can be off you dont kno what the previous owner has done with it. you dont want another broken wheel stud.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Teching In

100 ft lbs is oem specs for camaros

Quick Reply: Decent Torque Wrench