Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Stainless hard brake line flaring tool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Stainless hard brake line flaring tool?

I don't know if many of you guys run your own hard brake lines in your cars...but I've gotten really sick of trying to flare stainless lines with the wrong tools (the normal stuff works GREAT on normal mild steel lines, but can't cut it on stainless).

I like to run stainles slines in my cars/trucks, and even though Classic Tube and Inline Tube can almost always sell me a hard line kit, for a stock car, they usually can't do anything for a line lock or an adjustable proportioning valve without shipping lines back and forth, and I'd like to be able to just flare them myself. Same goes for not stock axles...once it isn't stock, only choice for me now is to make the line out of mild steel junk and send it to them and ask them to duplicate it in stainless...but it takes more time.

Anybody found any tools that really work well on stainless hard lines?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

And in that regard...has anybody ever bought "Mastercool" tools? http://www.mastercool.com/m54.html 71475 looks like a pretty nice setup, and it's half the price of Snap-on's TF700 http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=18146
Old 06-17-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a Sykes Pickavant double flaring tool it does standard and metric stainless lines also alum. Do a search on Ebay for one they are hands down the best flaring tool I have ever used....
Old 06-18-2007, 09:09 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How are you cutting the stainless? I had some problems when I was using a normal tubing cutter, switched over to a cutting wheel and the problems went away.
Phil
Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
i have a Sykes Pickavant double flaring tool it does standard and metric stainless lines also alum. Do a search on Ebay for one they are hands down the best flaring tool I have ever used....
They do look good...but the Mastercool one can do GM Fuel line flares and push connect flares too.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try out a Ridgid brand tool you can even pick one up at home depot, Never tried a mastercool hyd. one but the ridgid is the best i have used. Does 3/16 and 1/4 stainless reliably.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rigid one at work, it's got a torque thing in it so you dont over-do the flares. i've done hundreds of stainless flares up to 1/2" and it works like a champ. always use some grease and deburr well.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Are you guys doing double flares with the Rigid tool? I can't find that one.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Check the August '07 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. It has some interesting pictures in the article "Hard Line Plumbing".
Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 AM
7 Second Club

http://www.bentcustomandperformance....m_august07.pdf
Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt use anything but a nice double flaring tool especially on brake lines... It only takes a little more money to go first class and do stuff right...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

I agree...I also think it's technically not DOT legal to put a car on a public road without the appropriate double flares on the brake lines...and this is 99% of the work I see myself doing with the tool...I haven't seen a Rigid that can do it. I'm happy with the MasterCool.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

I'm pretty sure that you don't double-flare stainless.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seamless stainless only needs a single flare. Its tubing like the typically used welded seam tubing that needs a double flair for strength. ALso keep in mind that there are many different flares out there. Older GM stuff uses the classic 42/45º inverted/double flare and the aftermarket AN stuff is 37º single flare and then there is most new cars and their metric "bulb" flares. May be some other stuff but I am not personally familiar witht them. Hope some of this is helpfull. I couldnt tell you DOT regulations for sure but I'll bet they want a certification label from a certified manufacturer and installer. I hope they will acept my "License to do whatever I want".
Old 07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I'm pretty sure that you don't double-flare stainless.
I'm pretty sure that you've never made stainless brake lines then.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIIN20
Seamless stainless only needs a single flare. Its tubing like the typically used welded seam tubing that needs a double flair for strength. ALso keep in mind that there are many different flares out there. Older GM stuff uses the classic 42/45º inverted/double flare and the aftermarket AN stuff is 37º single flare and then there is most new cars and their metric "bulb" flares. May be some other stuff but I am not personally familiar witht them. Hope some of this is helpfull. I couldnt tell you DOT regulations for sure but I'll bet they want a certification label from a certified manufacturer and installer. I hope they will acept my "License to do whatever I want".
True there's many kinds of flares, and yeah, I'm not putting in a certified part if I made it myself..but a single flare on a stainless brake line is not going to seal properly in a fitting intended for a metric "bubble" or a conventional inverted or double flare.

You can single flare stainless with any old flaring tool...the double flaring is where most tools can't get the job done.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
...but a single flare on a stainless brake line is not going to seal properly in a fitting intended for a metric "bubble" or a conventional inverted or double flare...
I'm pretty sure that the reason that you don't double-flare stainless is that it not flexible enough to reliably fold over itself without cracking. You already answered your own question, though, now that you told us that you are using the wrong fittings for stainless, and not AN fittings that stainless requires.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 PM
7 Second Club

Where is the best place to find the Ts and Ys for a brake system with SS tubing?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I'm pretty sure that the reason that you don't double-flare stainless is that it not flexible enough to reliably fold over itself without cracking. You already answered your own question, though, now that you told us that you are using the wrong fittings for stainless, and not AN fittings that stainless requires.
Have you ever seen all the work Classic Tube and Inline Tube do and sell then? Are you saying they don't know what they're doing either? I'm so happy the internet has the smartest people in the world.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, I'm pretty sure you busted me.

Quick Reply: Stainless hard brake line flaring tool?