Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

tubed the camaro ( pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this idea for a while now. You know how front air bags lift the car slowly and drop it fast? What if we were to add something like a leaf spring under the crossmember to carry some of the load. Very similar to the corvette front suspension, but lets say half the spring rate. You could adjust it so that the leaf spring allows the car to fully drop, but just barely. It would make the front bags lift quicker, be less strained and allow full shock extension all while running less air pressure. Plus, if a bag blew you could limp home because the full weight would not be on the bumpstop.

I think it's great in theory. I guess steel leafs would be the way to go. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-29-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Pretty much sums it up for me!

I dont understand the philosophy of motor work coming second to paint, or coming second to anything for that matter, but it is apparent that you are doing whatever you are doing the right way and the execution appears to be spot on.

Why QA1's? I would think something like Koni's would fit this...car better.

i did qa1's because that is what shockwaves use and i didnt know better

what are u saying i should worry about painting the car instead of the other things??
Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I've had this idea for a while now. You know how front air bags lift the car slowly and drop it fast? What if we were to add something like a leaf spring under the crossmember to carry some of the load. Very similar to the corvette front suspension, but lets say half the spring rate. You could adjust it so that the leaf spring allows the car to fully drop, but just barely. It would make the front bags lift quicker, be less strained and allow full shock extension all while running less air pressure. Plus, if a bag blew you could limp home because the full weight would not be on the bumpstop.

I think it's great in theory. Steel leafs are heavy and thin and fiberglass leafs are made in limited spring rates and thick so I guess steel is the way to go. I don't know, what do you guys think?
now u r starting 2 make things 2 complicated

if u are just worried about it slamming on the ground they have Valve Dump Control

Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

damn now that is pretty low! nice job
Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean TUBBED the Camaro?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slammed1500
now u r starting 2 make things 2 complicated

if u are just worried about it slamming on the ground they have Valve Dump Control

I'm not worried about the front slamming down. I listed several advantages above. Besides, adding a leaf spring under the K-member isn't too complicated.

I haven't heard back from Universal Air on why my front bags are not fully expanding. These bags may not have enough load capacity. They are used on Magnums and 300C with 185 psi and those cars fully lift. I dont know what's up with mine. Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'm not worried about the front slamming down. I listed several advantages above. Besides, adding a leaf spring under the K-member isn't too complicated.

I haven't heard back from Universal Air on why my front bags are not fully expanding. These bags may not have enough load capacity. They are used on Magnums and 300C with 185 psi and those cars fully lift. I dont know what's up with mine. Any thoughts?
what air source are u using 2 lift it

i noticed a shop compressor didnt work 4 me while i was working on the car
it would lift it but not fully

try getting a air tank and charge it at 180 psi and use it
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slammed1500
what air source are u using 2 lift it

i noticed a shop compressor didnt work 4 me while i was working on the car
it would lift it but not fully

try getting a air tank and charge it at 180 psi and use it
I was using a small pump built into a jump starter. It was junk and the gauge was reading way too high. At proper pressures, it's working like it should.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-29-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Teching In

great work, i tubbed for the first time a few weeks back and it take alot of patience for sure, again great job

Quick Reply: tubed the camaro ( pics)